HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2013, 06:06 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
You didn't mention whether you were using a speed control with built-in linear-type BEC circuit or whether you are using an add-on switch mode BEC of at least 1.5amp rating with a 3S lipo and four servos. Using an adequately rated switch mode BEC can prevent "brownout"...
So how come a Futaba rx, with the same exact setup and conditions, does not suffer the same as Spektrum Rx's?

If all conditions are the same, they would both experience low voltage; but Futaba's rx does not drop the signal, lock you out, and then wait for a reconnection while your plane is plummeting to earth.

Sure a dedicated and reliable BEC would be helpful, but that is merely a work-around and not the answer to all the underlying problems.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2013, 06:09 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,606 Posts
As Thornburg would say:

You might as well turn off your transmitter,
Close your eyes...

...And start dreaming of your next aircraft.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2013, 12:55 PM
United States, PA, Warminster
Joined Dec 2006
154 Posts
Ater reading through the last several pages of this thread I have come to the suspicion that there are manufacturers' shills for 2.4 GHz among us.
JPMacG is offline Find More Posts by JPMacG
Old Nov 05, 2013, 12:58 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,606 Posts
I can only speak for myself, but I think everyone is simply posting their own personal experiences.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2013, 09:05 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMacG View Post
Ater reading through the last several pages of this thread I have come to the suspicion that there are manufacturers' shills for 2.4 GHz among us.
I suspect that is incorrect. No need for them. The product sells itself.

I'd never go back to 72MHz. Have never been associated with a radio mfg. The area we fly at is not very nice on several channels of 72MHz. Then there is the issue of others who are on the same channel and cause crashes. No thanks.

But, if you've never had a problem with 72MHz then don't change.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Nov 05, 2013, 09:43 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,606 Posts
For flying FPV with video transmitting, 72 holds up pretty damn well and I have seen persons fly several miles out [and back].
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2013, 10:29 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,815 Posts
I don't disagree. Like I said, if you like it, keep it. I don't because of many issues of interference and shoot downs.

And 2.4GHz is not completely clean either. You can get interference on that band as well in some areas. Flying near an Air Force Base and a national lab creates issues not seen in many parts of the world
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Nov 07, 2013, 10:04 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,836 Posts
Horses are better than cars.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Nov 07, 2013, 10:25 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,933 Posts
Dogs are better than cats.
But lead stops issues with either!!!
ace4rc is online now Find More Posts by ace4rc
Old Nov 08, 2013, 11:45 PM
United States, PA, Warminster
Joined Dec 2006
154 Posts
Which one is the horse?
JPMacG is offline Find More Posts by JPMacG
Old Dec 06, 2013, 08:26 AM
Woburn, Massachussetts, United States
Joined Aug 2003
100 Posts
What i am saying is that after 20+ flights using the DX5e on this particular airplane doing all kinds of similar maneuvers and then switching back to the DX7s, it's first flight out and THIS happens? I really think this has more to do with internal Tx programming default issues considering all of these conditions.

In the meantime, I've got these various pieces of foam that I need to learn how to assemble back together as we'll as a motor and controller I need to get back to operational status... Yay.

CHEERS![/QUOTE]

I've read a lot of the previous replies and the back and forth bantering about which system is better.etc.,etc., and what stood out is the quote above- no problem with the DX5e but a problem with the DX7-just seems like a problem with the radio, not the brand. I'm not even going to say what brand I use because it really doesn't matter...just seems like a problem with that particular transmitter. Most sellers are eager to keep their customers happy- they prefer not to have their products bashed on the internet- hope the OP got a new replacement and not a repair!
helijim is offline Find More Posts by helijim
Old Dec 18, 2013, 07:19 PM
loves to fly...
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKinTX View Post
I wouldn't bet on it. That is the kind of area Uncle Sugar likes to use to run training exercises with some of his nifty electronic warfare toys.
You won't even see the aircraft and when the switch gets flipped, everything within a certain radius gets blasted.

This is true. I worked on EA-6B Prowlers and their replacement aircraft, the new EA-18G. Both aircraft platforms used ALQ-99 Pods that provide "electronic attack" (Tactical Jamming, etc..) And yes they can fly high enough where they aren't heard but are still successful.

Very nifty stuff indeed--We've witnessed civilian websites that provide weather via radar with big "beams" of anomolies where we had training exercises out and about at that location and time..
flyingpete is offline Find More Posts by flyingpete
Old Jan 17, 2014, 06:48 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
My Airtronics RDS8000 has not given me a lick of trouble, very happy with it. Guys at my club call me a cult of one, with my attachment to Airtronics equipment, going back to the early 1980s, when Kraft went out of business.

It could be anything, like people have said, check everything over carefully. Don't be afraid to send it back to the manufacturer for them to have a look see. With an intermittent problem it might be money well spent.

I know people are buying these receivers at unbelievably low prices, like 5 for $8.-$10.00 each. I'm sorry, the receiver is the brains of the R/C system aboard your airplane, if you want to intrust your hard work and effort to Mr El-Cheapo's Hobby, have at'r. Not saying that's your problem plotshots, only commenting on something that scares the "Bi-Jeebers" out of me!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Last edited by Mode One; Jan 18, 2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:17 AM
Joined Jun 2013
72 Posts
Funny part is that I still have the Beaver in pieces in the garage yet to fix. Got busy with buying another house, moving, life, etc., etc.

I plan on getting going again in a couple of months... And continue the investigating with this particular DX7s... Static tests only, tho. I don't like the thought of putting my property or others at risk until I verify what's going on.
PlotShots is offline Find More Posts by PlotShots
Old Jan 18, 2014, 02:26 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlotShots;27229868....................
[I
I plan on getting going again in a couple of months... And continue the investigating with this particular DX7s... Static tests only, tho. I don't like the thought of putting my property or others at risk until I verify what's going on[/I].
I applaud your prudence here! The sad reality is that you could do all exhaustive tests possible at home yet still have an in flight failure. I know from first hand experience. My frank opinion is to do what I did; cut your losses and abandon Spektrum.
My unfortunate and punishing experience with the brand turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I have discovered FrSky as a result and will now use nothing else. Open source software, full telemetry and a great users forum. I haven't got the new Taranis transmitter, but I understand it has programming flexibility that leaves all the big brand names looking inadequate, arcane and restricting.
I hope this view does not offend you or others who may have attachment and allegiance to the brand. It is submitted with the best intention.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Regulated vacuum system.