New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2015, 02:49 PM
Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,383 Posts
All you can do is edit the post, delete everything, and type in 3 periods to get minimum length for a post...
pmisuinas is online now Find More Posts by pmisuinas
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2015, 05:54 PM
Find More Posts by PeterVRC
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
13,912 Posts
Rake your gear forwards and you can remove - at least greatly reduce - nose overs.

I think I used 3mm spacing on the rear of the retracts.... and by the leg/wheel end that is more like 10mm, or maybe it was 7mm.
But it makes a BIG difference.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
Old Aug 18, 2015, 01:07 AM
Find More Posts by icarus the 2nd
Fly as high as the sun
Joined Oct 2014
318 Posts
I tried the rake, but had to cut some of the plastic that makes the doors go open by the gear, but had to revert to original cause I coudn't get it right Wheels came to high so the doors wouldn't close anymore.

I can prevent the nose-over though by keeping some throttle during roll-out to full stop after the landing.
icarus the 2nd is online now Find More Posts by icarus the 2nd
Old Aug 18, 2015, 07:40 AM
Joined Nov 2006
13,912 Posts
The doors clear by 7mm to 10mm, so that much rake makes zero difference to the whole setup and its operation.
Oh... I did cut the 'rails' that drive the doors via the leg moldings, but that is actually something that needs doing even if it is stock. That 'track'/geometry is very poorly done as it comes and it is one of the two mains reasons the doors often do not close properly on these models. So it is something that needs doing in almost all cases anyway. Just a bit more if there is rake.
But more important is that adding rake helps a LOT, so it is a worthwhile thing to improve!

The reason the full-scale does not need it is because all full scale aircraft can have a CofG notably more rearwards than any model of the same plane can. Thus full scale P-51's, Spitfires, BF-110's, Me-109s don't nose over anyway.
But that means in models you need to find a way to improve... reduce... the nose over issues on pretty well all warbirds (and many others). On;y increaseing forwards Rake can improve that in a proper and viable way.
Flying with a more rearwards CofG is NOT the way to fix that - that is a detrimental compromise on ANY aircraft, with dangerous flight behaviour results and thus a very bad idea! You might not 'see' the detrimental result, until the day you cross into them and what they cause! eg You might fly around 'fine' and think it is fine, but tail heavy causes amplified tip stalling process, and 'stall flaring' where you reach a point of low airspeed that you have no more Elevator Authority and thus it will nose up higher and higher into a worse and worse state - and you cannot control/stop it! Correct CofG will not do those at all.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 07:43 AM
Fly as high as the sun
Joined Oct 2014
318 Posts
Peter, do you have some pictures showing your rake and needed modifications?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 07:47 AM
Fly as high as the sun
Joined Oct 2014
318 Posts
Found your pictures a few pages back, I guess I raked too much since wheels prevented the doors to close ...
Old Aug 18, 2015, 08:41 AM
Joined Nov 2006
13,912 Posts
Like I mentioned, I think they can 'rise' (in the nacelle) something from 7mm to 10mm and still close the doors fully. But at the retract (spacer) you don't need anywhere near that amount, due to leverage of the long leg.
I think I used 2x 3mm washers on each rear retract pair end. Maybe I posted text or pics of what I did? A 3mm diameter washer is probably about 1.0mm to 1.5mm thick.

I have had a nose-over... but on very rough grass ground (sports field). But even on that it copes extremely well. You of course cannot win if you take on HUGE grass clumps etc! LOL
So unless you have a certain level of good 'ground' (grass) the ability to cope will reduce according to the reduction in surface quality. But without rake that is even much worse!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by lordmureth
United Kingdom, Cnwll
Joined Apr 2010
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGolem View Post
Nice pics, lordmureth. They come close to making me regret my decision to strip and repaint my new acquired bird.
Thanks, for a prepainted warbird it looks good against those dark clouds! Shame that my Durafly Seafire which I'd put a lot of work into and still have more to do to fully convert it from the Mk 24 - nosedived on handlaunch, splitting the fuse in half...!
lordmureth is offline Find More Posts by lordmureth
Old Aug 18, 2015, 04:37 PM
Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
3,180 Posts
I had not been flying my BF-110 much for the nose over...or the ever present nose over bluff unless our perfectly manicured Bermuda grass field was....better than perfect.

I just deployed four 3mm washers to each rear retract mount (2.7mm = two popsicle sticks). The resulting rake is very good (I forgot to take photo's and measurements of before and after modifications). Used wire cutters to snip off the corners of the gear door tracks to allow them to seat back down to a "normalized" position when closed.

Very pleased with the end result.....now quite curious to fly it now with a lot of forward rake to the retracts!!

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Aug 18, 2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 09:59 AM
Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
3,180 Posts
Yep - the landing gear rake did the trick for me......flew five batteries out last night and the only nose over I had was when I came in too hot....roll out was a little too bumpy. The rest of the flights were spot on perfect.

Dynam 1500mm ME BF-110 Sport Flying with friends 08-20-15 (6 min 18 sec)

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Aug 21, 2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 06:43 AM
Fly as high as the sun
Joined Oct 2014
318 Posts
Me and my BF-110 ... nothing special, just trying to fly scale. Minor nose-over at the end, our grass was a bit longer as normal

Geert - Dynam BF-110 - 19/8/2015 (4 min 15 sec)
Old Aug 25, 2015, 05:30 PM
Joined Nov 2006
13,912 Posts
Yes, nice scale flying.... and a very tight field to work from!
But you obviously are well practiced and brought it into there perfectly!

It might be hard FINDING a plane if it goes down in the fields! LOL
Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:49 PM
Find More Posts by kman24
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
5,660 Posts
it2 - nice flying and video

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by FlyingGolem
Subsurface flying expert
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2012
267 Posts
Boy, seeing that video is tempting me into reassembling my partially stripped bird and taking her out to fly.
FlyingGolem is offline Find More Posts by FlyingGolem
Old Aug 26, 2015, 06:26 AM
Fly as high as the sun
Joined Oct 2014
318 Posts
Thx for the comments guys :-)

Yeah our field is kinda restricted for yet another month or maybe month a and a half but you learn to cope with it.

I started flying exactly one year ago now, most of my planes can handle the corn restrictions fine except my FMS F-4 which lands too hot for these conditions lol