Find More Posts by SkipMillerModels
Skip Miller Models
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Dec 2013
41 Posts
New Product
NEW! Lola FPV from Skip Miller Models

Hey Guys!

Just wanted to drop in and announce that we have just received our first shipment of Lola's. They have been selling like hotcakes locally but we wanted to open up online sales as well.

The Lola is a multipurpose fixed wing FPV ship that would suit a wide range of skill levels and needs. Coming from a molded sailplane background we decided to incorporate some of what we had learned from that facet of the hobby. The fuselage of the model is a molded fiberglass with carbon reinforcements throughout the boom. Not only does this make for an excellent sleek finish, but a extremely true and accurate fuse, not to mention extremely rigid with a high level of durability.

The wing is a traditional built up balsa with glass reinforcements in the center. It has a two piece wing for easy transportation. This is a 4 servo wing meaning that in addition to ailerons there are also flaps, one more way of gaining even more control of your model.

This model comes in two variations, an ARF (airframe and hardware only) and a PnP (servos, motor, esc included and installed, Just as RX and flight controller...if you wish), Both at reasonable prices with parts and advice available with just a phone call or email away. We are also glad to do full builds in shop on a customer by customer basis. Our team is experienced and passionate about the hobby and FPV.

http://www.skipmillermodels.com/1_69...FPV_p/lola.htm
http://www.skipmillermodels.com/1_69...p/lola_pnp.htm

We have been testing the model for the past couple months using our high elevation power pack (we live in the mountains), the 3D Robotics ArduPilot, and a set of Fat Shark Dominators. What an awesome stable unit, we cannot express how pleased we are with the final product!

We would be glad to answer any and all inquires so feel free to chat below or shoot us a line at support@skipmillermodels.com. Phone calls are always welcome 303-442-6454

INTRODUCTORY SALE!!!!!

5% off the ARF
10% off the PnP

Use code: RCGroups

Team SMM
SkipMillerModels is offline Find More Posts by SkipMillerModels
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: New stock!!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2014, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by DavidPDX
Quad Smasher
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2012
224 Posts
I have been looking for something like this for a long time. Order placed!
DavidPDX is offline Find More Posts by DavidPDX
Old Aug 08, 2014, 09:02 AM
Find More Posts by LexusFPV
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,278 Posts
Flight Video?
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Aug 08, 2014, 10:00 AM
Find More Posts by rpvflyer
Joined Jul 2014
3 Posts
Looks like a nice size for FPV - not too big, not too small. Thanks Skip!!
rpvflyer is offline Find More Posts by rpvflyer
Old Aug 08, 2014, 10:44 AM
Skip Miller Models
Joined Dec 2013
41 Posts
Hey guys, we will post up a flight video as soon as I can get the interns to finish editing.

David, your Lola will be shipping within the hour, Thanks!!
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 08, 2014, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by RC Man
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipMillerModels View Post
Hey guys, we will post up a flight video as soon as I can get the interns to finish editing.

David, your Lola will be shipping within the hour, Thanks!!
I am very interested.

Do you have any photos of Pixhawk Instillation? I have a Pixhawk and airspeed sensor that's looking for a good home.

Also what's the max prop diameter? I have found that larger props are much more efficient that small diameter props?

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Aug 08, 2014, 11:59 AM
Skip Miller Models
Joined Dec 2013
41 Posts
Hi RC Man,

We currently have an APM unit installed not the Pixhawk, although we are a little more fond of the Pixhawk, but we had the APM collecting dust that is what we opted for. For the airspeed sensor it works really well to use an epoxy puddy (JB weld has some and it is usually available at a Home Depot, Lowes, or Ace Hardware) stuck to the leading edge of the wing with the sensor pointed straight out, works like a charm and is an easy install. Also if you look at the attached picture there are premolded slots in the fuse that would make a wonderful mounting point for the sensor. Either way would work great.

The Lola will take a 10" prop max, we are currently running a 9x6 with good results on a 3542 1200 kv with power the spare.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 09, 2014, 04:45 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,707 Posts
The canopy mount is just 4 pieces of tape?
If I use a camera I think that I will need a more secure mount – any suggestions?

Also what is included in ARF version? If the surfaces already hinged or will I have to install hinges? A photo of the kit laid out would be nice.

Old Aug 13, 2014, 05:20 PM
Skip Miller Models
Joined Dec 2013
41 Posts
Sorry for the late reply.

Tha canopy was mounted with tape for our test flights to allow easy access to the electronics. Canopy latches are far more secure and would be the best way to mount this piece.

All of the surfaces are hinged from the factory for a low drag and strong joint, It is done better than I could do personally.

I attached a few more pictures of the plane, the pictures shows the Plug and Play, but the ARF kit is identical excluding the level of pre-installation (ie servos, control horns, motor pre mounted and installed).

The ARF includes all necessary hardware to complete the model, control horns, servo linkages, wing and stab mounting hardware, motor mount, skids and various nuts and bolts.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 13, 2014, 05:28 PM
Find More Posts by rclab1
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
5,057 Posts
.... (on the wings).
those dreaded rubber bands though?
rclab1 is online now Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:38 AM
Skip Miller Models
Joined Dec 2013
41 Posts
The wings bolt on, then are further secured with the bands. Alignment tabs keep everything true and locked in place, due to this I am confident that there would be no issues with just the bolts......but as they say, better safe than sorry!
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:43 AM
Quad Smasher
Joined Feb 2012
224 Posts
Mine just arrived. I really like the giant fuse but am not impressed with the aileron and flap hinging job. The tape is coming undone and the front edge of the control surfaces are rising and not staying even with the wing. Pretty sure I will be re-doing mine if the factory tape can be removed without damage.

Another thing to note is that the rudder does not come installed and there aren't any directions that I have found yet. I am guessing tape but am not sure of the technique given that the front of the rudder surface is symmetrical coming to a point. How do you hinge the rudder on this model?

Looking close at the pictures it looks like tape in one photo but perhaps discs and CA in another. Alright, I just found the hinge material in the kit. Looks to be the the fiber type hinge that you slide into place and drip CA into. Cool, should be easy.

Excited to get everything put together and in the air. I will be using ezuhf and a vector flight controller & OSD on mine.
Last edited by DavidPDX; Aug 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:59 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,707 Posts
Do they just have tape hinges on the flaps and ailerons? Since its wood I assumed standard CA plastic hinges.

Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:25 PM
Quad Smasher
Joined Feb 2012
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Do they just have tape hinges on the flaps and ailerons? Since its wood I assumed standard CA plastic hinges.

Yes, just tape.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:41 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,707 Posts
Is their enough wood to use a CA hinge? If yes just cut off the tape. I have found that tape is not good if you fly a lot.

I am about to order one – do you think it is a good choice for an autopilot/FPV system. PM me if you like.