Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 04, 2008, 12:47 PM
Reading, UK
Joined Sep 2007
6,371 Posts
Question
What dremel tool do you use?

Hey guys, need to cut a motor shaft today and I realised I have no metal cutting tools at all...

I have a dremel (not proper make) but the chuck broke and I've lost all the accessories...

I would like a decent Dremel (proper make I presume is the best).

I was looking at the Dremel Stylus, seems really good, about 60 pounds so not to bad. Any things I should be aware of?

Cordless and has a decent battery/charging station. Looks comfortable too, unlike those round long ones.

I take it will cut through 4mm or so motor shafts?

Looking to order tomorrow night.

Thanks for any advice!
LaurenceGough is offline Find More Posts by LaurenceGough
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2008, 01:25 PM
To many projects
USA, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Aug 2004
1,055 Posts
Most cordless versions (I have a Stylus) gets hot and are fairly weak. Fine for small jobs and with a cut-off wheel (soaked in CA) would cut a 4mm shaft. Do it three times in a row and you'll need a corded Dremal. The stylus does hold a charge for months if not used. Great for the flight box. Small jobs its fine, any job over five minutes and I use a corded because the Stylus gets to hot to handle.
66tbird is offline Find More Posts by 66tbird
Old Oct 04, 2008, 01:33 PM
Reading, UK
Joined Sep 2007
6,371 Posts
Thanks tbird!

I've been thinking, I have a corded drill which is a powerhouse, even though it's not a proper make it works well but only drills.

I think the most I would ever use a Dremel for would be to cut steel shafts, I mean I tend to make do without a Dremel until I get to cutting something tough...

I guess I would also be cutting hardened 3mm screws (just trying to think of all the things I would be cutting).

I mean would it struggle much with the 4mm-5mm steel shafts for motors, because that's really what I'm buying it for mostly, but I don't know I might love it and use it even for little sanding jobs on plastic.

(what do you call tough? ) So it just heats up and looses power?

I suppose the accessories (cutting disks etc) will be the same as for the corded more powerful dremel versions?

I remember my old no-name Dremel tool, the cutting disks used to last hardly any time...

Thanks once again!

Edit:

No way... It's the same price in dollars... half the price....
LaurenceGough is offline Find More Posts by LaurenceGough
Last edited by LaurenceGough; Oct 04, 2008 at 01:48 PM.