HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2001, 10:47 PM
El Queso Grande
Rippin in Hood River, OR, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
SlimGym first flight.

Got my prop and set up my slimgym. 350nicads, FMA mini5 esc, hitec hs55 servos, feather rx. WOW, the plane cooks when you give it some throttle! My wing is a little warped and haven't been able to fix it totally (any suggestions?) so it doesn't fly perfect but it is pretty nice. Turns on a dime without tip-stalling. Climbs at an AMAZING rate at full throttle. Definately faster than the Litestik. Quite durable, too. Hit a telephone pole and only lost one of the rubber bands.

Love this plane, but it needs more space than I hoped to fly.
windsurfer is offline Find More Posts by windsurfer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2001, 09:31 AM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hi Windsurfer. Nice plane for the price Hey? How many cells are you using?
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Jun 07, 2001, 10:33 AM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,943 Posts
Hey WS,

Got my Slim Gym this week and am building it still. My wing is slightly warped and the first rib was so bent that I had to sand it for one hour to get the wings to fit together. Are those directions the worse you've seen. No distance for servo placement or control horn locations. The company web site is no help either. This is my second NES plane with this type of docs. I don't need my hand held but some dimensions would be good to start from till you set it up for your type of flying. Good luck. Let you know how mine comes out, should be ready to fly this weekend.

Pete

[This message has been edited by peterv (edited 06-07-2001).]
peterv is offline Find More Posts by peterv
Old Jun 07, 2001, 03:22 PM
El Queso Grande
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
I'm trying not to offend vendors so I'll keep my comments about documentation to myself.

Hmmm, it is an amazing plane for the price! I'm running 7cells right now. I'll probably move to NiMH eventually and use 8cells for those packs. Maybe I'll try my RS 1600's. Great flight time but crappy handling? Nah, I'll let Bleriot practice the overloading trick.
Old Jun 07, 2001, 04:11 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,943 Posts
Don't get me wrong I like Sal, we have had several long conversations about business ownership in general, just think the docs stink. The plane looks cool. Just got some new batt in today from Eflight power. They look great, picked up 8 cell NIMH 720MA and 1600MA the 720ma is AAA and very light in brick configuration, should be great for the Slim Gym! Plus got the batt in 2 days at $24.00 per pack, talk about service!
Can't wait to get home to work on the SG tonight but first flying, 5 MPH winds second day in a row and calm forecasted for tonight, Chicago E-Flyers be happy!!
Old Jun 07, 2001, 07:14 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
I placed the servos ahead of the spar, I never checked to see if the supplied pushrods reach that far as I used 2mm cf rod.Placed in this location proved to be ok as the balance comes out 3" fom the le. Nice thing is the large area available for battery placement Best Regards
Old Jun 07, 2001, 07:52 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined May 2001
635 Posts
I ordered on of these when they were only $50, so hopefully I'll be getting it next week.

windsurfer:
At its slowest, is it much faster than a litestik at its fastest? I guess I should leave myself plenty of room on the first flight.

Bleriot:
How do you attach the carbon rods to the control wire? Thread and CA, or some kind of shrink tubing? I used bamboo skewers and thread to make some for my litestik and they work really well.

The servo placement is good info. Any other building tips? Any experience anyone has gained would be good to know.
tom_yellowblue is offline Find More Posts by tom_yellowblue
Old Jun 07, 2001, 08:38 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Yeah well the root ribbs on mine were awful too, but I did not sand them. I set one panel down and set the other 7" from the surface of the table. I then tacked it w/ ca. I then taped the top and filled in the gaps with scrap balsa, went outside and poured ca in, then when it set, I taped the bottom seam as well. Never had a problem at that area. I used shrink tubing to hold the music wire z bends, hooked everything up and adjusted the control surfaces to neutral w/ the radio on and trims centered, when all was ok, hit each end w a little ca.
Old Jun 07, 2001, 09:10 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Ther is a small photo on my homepage showing the music wire ends to the CF pushrods for the DuskStik. Second photo down. As Bleriot said, shrink the heat shrink tubing around the music wire and CF, adjust the length, then apply a small drop of CA. Works great and is really fast to make.

Doug
www.duskstik.com

[This message has been edited by CoClimber (edited 06-07-2001).]
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Jun 07, 2001, 10:39 PM
El Queso Grande
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
At its slowest it is slower than the Litestik at its fastest. At a mid-speed it'll kick the pants off the litestik. Turns on a dime, too.

I didn't even glue my wings together. They don't call me Mr. Packing Tape for nothing. My servos are behind the spar but it still balances fine with all that space for the batteries. I use velcro to attach mine.
Old Jun 07, 2001, 11:12 PM
Houston/Katy Tx
Joined Feb 2001
75 Posts
Sounds too fast for my cul-de-sac. Could the covering be removed from the wing bottoms for an undercambered effect? Mine hasn't arrived yet.
Look Out! is offline Find More Posts by Look Out!
Old Jun 07, 2001, 11:48 PM
sal
NSP (Vermont)
Joined Aug 2000
2,695 Posts
Guys! Please give me some input about the directions. I would be more than happy to improve them. Suggestions would be appreciated and I promise to use the good ones.
sal is offline Find More Posts by sal
Old Jun 08, 2001, 11:00 AM
Houston/Katy Tx
Joined Feb 2001
75 Posts
Hey Sal, when I receive mine I'll take digital photos during the assembly then send 'em to you. Maybe you can work them into
the suggested instructions.
Look Out! is offline Find More Posts by Look Out!
Old Jun 08, 2001, 11:27 AM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,943 Posts
Thanks CC and B! Be working on mine tonight again, last night was just too good to fly and didn't get home till 9:30, flew till after dark!! No wind, same today , how can you work when it's perfect flying weather??
Will try suggested servo placement and CF possibly. How do you support the CF? Are you using the plastic tube or just larger CF from servo to control horn? I have some 2mm CF as my smallest which I used on my T52 but it wes a straight run from servo to control horn. The Slim Gym looks to be at least a 20 deg angle.

Pete
Old Jun 08, 2001, 11:37 AM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hello Lookout. With a 7 cell AAA NiMH, after a little practice in a larger area, you might be able to fly the cul-de-sac ok, or at leasr get it up over any obstructions and then circle it back down. Best Regards

[This message has been edited by Bleriot (edited 06-08-2001).]