HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2014, 07:28 PM
I can fly 2.5 D
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Apr 2013
1,394 Posts
sir, if you take it to the extreme level of flying, then let's agree that you can "fly out of updraft", but it's definitely not the way most pilots take Fixed pitch heli flyers, yes if they are in trouble and have enough skill, they will make the move, but on collective pitch, you just go into negative.

if the wind is really bad where it rolls you over in a gust, you probably won't be flying.
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:24 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,227 Posts
When a gust hits negative pitch is often the opposite of what you want. The gust ends with the helicopter dropping like a rock.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:29 AM
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palm Desert Heli View Post
Can you fly a CP with no Neg pitch? Would it help a CP beginner? Or you don't want to do heli aerobatics?

Thanks!!
Instead of bickering, which does not belong in the Beginner Training Area at all ...

I'm going to point OP to a useful thread he may or may not be familiar with:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1901484

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post

First - and most importantly - get rid of all that negative pitch. -2 degrees (-2) is all you need in the beginning - and this is to insure you can get back down on the ground and glue you to the ground if there is any wind.

Your pitch curve will be -2, 0, 3, 5, 8.

Now you are controlling altitude with pitch and not head speed. This will give you far smoother control of maintaining your height - just like a full scale helicopter.

Note: At any time you want to shut off the engine - try to avoid slamming the collective down - this negative pitch will pull the heli into the ground. Condition your finger or thumb or big toe (whichever works for you) to switch ON throttle-hold or throttle-cut when you panic. This will maintain your positive pitch on the blades and help eliminate the pan-cake effect.

captJac
Thank you again CaptJac. Please refer comments and criticisms to him. Works for me in the sim at least.

Also do not ignore:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
You can, but it just cripples handling with no real benefit. If you just set negative pitch to 2 or 3 you won't come down real hard and you learn quickly not to do that.
Thank you again Balr14. Please refer comments and criticisms to him. Works for me in the sim at least.

-Florida Heli-
Florida Heli is offline Find More Posts by Florida Heli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Florida Heli; Mar 24, 2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:52 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,227 Posts
Its a bad idea to plant a helicopter on the ground with negative pitch. Your just asking to break it. Especially if it has a flybarless controller.
Quote:
and this is to insure you can get back down on the ground and glue you to the ground if there is any wind.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:33 PM
Where's the swimming pool
Joined Jul 2011
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
Its a bad idea to plant a helicopter on the ground with negative pitch. Your just asking to break it. Especially if it has a flybarless controller.
Well, quite a few of us do it to no ill effect, just saying.

Ever tried landing a 450 in 30-40 km/h winds with random gusts?

Winds like that ground planks, but not us.
spykez is online now Find More Posts by spykez
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:32 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,227 Posts
30-40 km/h winds are fairly common around here. So I land a 450 in that kind of wind most of the times I fly.
I fly my planks in that kind of wind also.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 05:41 PM
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Jun 2013
11 Posts
With all do respect to real helicopter pilot's, us nube's don't fly much in the wind. At least I can't. I do understand that -2 or-3 is needed............just a little sarcasm to lighten things up.
focar is offline Find More Posts by focar