HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:05 PM
Joined Mar 2009
191 Posts
Help!
Guardian + external mixer (jitters)

Hi , Id like to use an external mixer with guardian exp. but it seems that those mixers dont like guardian signal....

I tried a mixer from hobby king and a expensive one called digimix, both makes my servos to jitter or behave erratic. tried different servos and same result.

Any ideas? thanks a lot
FabioBrazil is offline Find More Posts by FabioBrazil
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:52 PM
Joined Mar 2009
191 Posts
No One????
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:40 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,920 Posts
Hi, I am not sure why that wouldn't work. Can you give more details about how the mixer is wired?
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 09, 2013, 03:12 PM
Joined Mar 2009
191 Posts
Hi Billpa, thanks for replying.

RX -> OSD -> Mixer -> aileron servos

osd aileron goes on mixer aileron and an auxiliar channel goes on the elevator mixer channel.

This way I can have ailerons + some camber mixes or butterfly

I guess its something about the update rate from Guardian.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:48 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,920 Posts
Oh - I think I may know the issue, if the mixer is misbehaving. The OSD puts out overlapping servo pulses. I will bet that the mixers cannot handle this correctly. But, I have a potential solution. There's an option in the "Sensors and Units" OSD menu that says "FMA co-pilot w/o servo buffer". If you set that to YES, I'll bet the mixer starts working. But, the downside is that you will not be able to use the voice feature of the OSD.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:59 PM
Joined Mar 2009
191 Posts
Hi Billpa, thanks for replying. IŽll try that when possible. If it does not work, I will try Digimix3, its an advanced mixer, it says it can handle anything.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 03:22 PM
Joined Feb 2013
7 Posts
I hope your problem could be solved with the latest suggestion. If not I have some related experiences that might help finding the cause of the problem:

I have a standalone guardian 2D/3D and tried it with a digimix2. The result is just as Fabio says more or less random erratic movement. Are there any survobuffer setting for the standalone guardian? If not could it be related to the (less severe) jitter problem I am describing in:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1825502
SebbeMalm is offline Find More Posts by SebbeMalm
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:12 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,920 Posts
Hi Sebbe,

No, there is not a setting on the Guardian 2D/3D that would cause it to output non-overlapping pulses. This might be something we could add in firmware if we get requests. However, I speculate there must be quite a few mixers out there that are not affected by overlapping pulses, since this is the first time an issue with a mixer has been brought to my attention in a long time. We'll keep monitoring the situation here.

Also, sorry for the lack up update on your original post. We have received the Futuba hardware in-house and this is in our queue for repro attempt.
Site Sponsor