HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:03 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
Another RCSB site supporter, here.

Earl--I really like the way you added the hardwood dowels to ruggedize the edges. A model this size shouldn't be much affected by the added weight but will benefit in durability.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:28 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,223 Posts
Target weights

loNslo- all my other 1/4 scale airplanes are at 18-19 lbs...The 'Coupe looks to come in at about 14 lbs. I feel I have 64 oz. of free rein here.

However-it will not be weighed until all test and adjustment flights and videos have been performed.

The 'hardening of the arteries' has the benefit of uniformly shaped edges, great for covering continuity.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:41 PM
wood is good
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
I think it's a great idea and have been toying with some thoughts on this since we met in my Monocoupe thread. I was thinking of using a small strip of CF over the balsa. Or even laminating some thin basswood to make the edges more durable. The dowel could save a lot of shaping. I could see making a special groove "plane" with a sharpened tube to facilitate creating a tight glue joint for the dowel.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:49 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,223 Posts
What's going ON out there?

At some point, I'm going to need an instrument panel,so I googled some pictures.

I found one with an unbelievable wood finish...I had some mahogany door-skin plywood on hand,and cut out a pattern.

I'm going to contact a couple of instrument panel fabricators to see if they'll put their instruments in my panel.

In the last seven days, I've sanded and varnished it 7 times.I have finally filled the grain,so there is a glass-smooth finish on it.That wood resisted every step of the way, but I won.

I hope to get pictures up today.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:33 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
At some point, I'm going to need an instrument panel,so I googled some pictures.

I'm going to contact a couple of instrument panel fabricators to see if they'll put their instruments in my panel.

Earl. Do you have any interest in building your own IP ?

I Fly Tailies http://www.iflytailies.com/ should have everything you would need.

One hint. The gauges are a little too large. For 1/4 scale models, I suggest the 1/5 scale instruments.

I built this Cessna 195 IP with those gauges and accessories, along with some parts machined by a friend.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:28 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,223 Posts
Panel

Why,- yes,yes I do !

In that I like to do as much as I can, myself, what I was interested in doing was getting those period gauges as close as possible.

Your panel effort has inspired me to make my own.

I need to get to Grimes and get pictures of the panel in theirs....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:48 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,200 Posts
So far, so good !

If you order from I Fly Tailies, the guage sizes are metric. I had to borrow some metric Forstner bits to do the holes.

Check your email, Earl. I sent you a surprise.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:27 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,223 Posts
And a pleasant one it is, too ! Thanks, Tom. I can match all the gauges in the 'Coupe from what you sent...I think "Uncle George " sells those, for like a $1 a sheet.
I'm making a form to try to heat form clear covers for them.

The 8th and 9th coat of varnish finally filled the grain in the mahogany door skin panel.....man that wood is coarse.....But it's fine now. Glass smooth.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:08 PM
wood is good
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
Yeah, mahogany has a very open grain. For a glass-like finish (not practical for a real panel) the trick is, once you have all the grain filled, block sand it back down until there are NO divots. Then apply 2 top coats. Glass.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:14 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,305 Posts
It's done just that way on real airplane panels. Jim White's Baby Ruth clipped wing has it's panel done that way. All period instruments too, none of that moving map stuff like that 195 panel!
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:28 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,223 Posts
Elbow grease.

Yep- I used 3 wet coats at the beginning,and soaked the wood thoroughly. Then sanding across the grain, I applied the next 3 coats.sanding between each one.

The last three were sanded with a 2" wide block and wet paper,400,then 600, then 1200..

The finish is Helmsman Spar Urethane spray, by Minwax,clear gloss....Hefty price, but quality lasts forever. Dries in 12 hours,and sands with no 'rolling', just white dust.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:42 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,223 Posts
Strutting around.

The idea popped into my head to do some research on the Monocoupe's details, as I'm going to make it a scale model.

The wing struts have always been a source of concern,for me, because they never look 'right' in pictures of models I see.

Well, it's no wonder- they're all different, it seems. Getting to the source of the strut tubing would be a good way to make some scale drawing I'd bet...

I found the original drawings, designed by Kawneer,,so I can rest, knowing mine will finally be correct....to a point..Tubing was purchased from different suppliers,with minor differences in profile, and materials....some mild steel,and others 4130...All met the required specs, so that's settled.

Google "Monocoupe restoration resources" and spend some time there.

The piece on wing tip bows and aileron fabrication is spellbinding.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,223 Posts
The "big" picture

I had a picture enlarged to place on my wall as inspiration while I am building the "coupe.
I liked it pretty well,so wracked with cabin fever, me'n the dog went to the copy shop and had a "Big" one made....

It's seven feet long, by five feet high and puts you right in the hangar with the full sized one.

A little discrepancy rose up and smit us, but it's okay....we're missing 2" out of the middle.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:26 PM
wood is good
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
...A little discrepancy rose up and smit us, but it's okay....we're missing 2" out of the middle.
Are you taking more poetic license?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:42 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,223 Posts
ha ha

It's all that Bible training I received as a child.....every once in a while something comes out that surprises even me !

The copyshop said they'll do it over for me...They always do so well,that I didn't proof read it....

The missing space presents the 'Coupe as a Biplane....Sacrilege !
RCG Plus Member