Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:26 AM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Discussion
Starting IMAC Basic

I've been reading up on what IMAC is and I had a good idea what it was but after going to the IMAC site last night and reading more into IMAC basic....I'm wanting to get started. I've been flying for a few years and want more of a purpose for flying other than the enjoyment of the hobby and flying. I'm currently building my first gasser a 30cc 3DHS AJ Slick. I like the 3D stuff but have more of a interest in IMAC. Will this be a good air frame to get started in IMAC or is there another air frame that would be better to start out with? One of the air frames I've been looking at is the AW 30cc Edge 540. My goal is to maybe build a 50cc plane next maybe this winter of next year sometime. I posted this same thread over on FG to get additional feedback. Thanks! I appreciate the feedback!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:22 PM
Joined Oct 2011
241 Posts
The AJ will do the basic sequence just fine. Pay careful attention to setup. Goals for the airplane are to fly strait and level at power settings from 1/3 to full throttle with no trim changes. Up lines should require a touch of right rudder only, there should be no pitch deviation during a roll. Once you have the airplane set up correctly it's a matter of practice practice, practice. Always have someone with you while practicing that can give honest, objective feedback on the spot. You will quickly find that keeping wings level and defining horizontal, vertical and 45 degree lines is not an easy take but is the basis of all competitive aerobatic flying.
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:05 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,242 Posts
I've been flying IMAC for about a year and love it. I fly a 50cc plane but, size is not the issue. Piloting skill is the BIG issue. Believe it or not, flying straight and level is the hardest thing to learn. Your bird must be level in roll and pitch or you will blow the maneuver or at least loose a few points. It's harder than it looks and you'll need lots of practice. The more you practice the better pilot you will be and your confidence will grow. The way you exit a maneuver affects your set up for the next one.
Shop around and buy a bird that's designed for IMAC aerobatics. A bird set up for 3D may do the patterns but, it won't perform them as well. Everything needs to be very smooth so work on smooth and keeping the airplane straight and level between maneuvers. I would suggest you learn to perform each maneuver one at a time before you start stringing them together in the sequence. The sequence is available for download on the IMAC web site.
If you haven't joined IMAC you should. It's only $20 per year. While you're on the web site, click on the "Training" tab and watch the video of how the maneuvers should be done in the 2013 sequence.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

RJ
rowdyjoe is offline Find More Posts by rowdyjoe
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:07 PM
Trying to be Ex Hoarder...
United States, OR, Molalla
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
An excellent thing to do is attend an IMAC judging School in your region if you can find one. We usually have one early spring here in the N/W region.
welton1720 is offline Find More Posts by welton1720
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:53 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2009
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welton1720 View Post
An excellent thing to do is attend an IMAC judging School in your region if you can find one. We usually have one early spring here in the N/W region.
Where in the N/W region? I would be interested.

Bob
bobmixon is offline Find More Posts by bobmixon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:18 AM
United States, CA, Beale AFB
Joined Sep 2004
121 Posts
Starting out in Basic

Hello!

Basic is such a fun class and contest are very educational at this stage!

Judging school in Maryland...pretty close to you: http://www.mini-iac.com/Home/Control...3/default.aspx

There is even a Basic Only event in Maryland in 2013! http://www.mini-iac.com/Home/Control...2/default.aspx

Go here to see contests in your region: http://www.mini-iac.com/RegionsNA/So...2/Default.aspx

In Culpepper you might be closer to the North East Region: http://www.mini-iac.com/RegionsNA/No...1/Default.aspx

Go here for more info, rules, sequences etc: www.mini-iac.com

Download the attachment, it has caller notes so a person can stand next to you, just like at a contest, and call the maneuvers out to you by reading the sheet. No learning Aristi right off the bat and it is straight forward.

You'll learn Aristi eventually...start out just doing the maneuvers one or two at a time with a friend, on the simulator or at the flying field. You can use a high wing trainer in Basic if you want to...no need to buy a new plane.

Enjoy!
FlyinTiger is offline Find More Posts by FlyinTiger
Last edited by FlyinTiger; Jan 17, 2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:42 AM
Trying to be Ex Hoarder...
United States, OR, Molalla
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmixon View Post
Where in the N/W region? I would be interested.

Bob
There are 2 of them, one in Richland Wa, and one in Woodburn. You can go to the Imac website for dates and to preregister. www.mini-iac.com
welton1720 is offline Find More Posts by welton1720
Old May 07, 2013, 01:24 PM
Sponsored by U.S Border Patrol
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,495 Posts
If you're in the Northern VA area or close and you're interested in IMAC please contact me..

Basic only event at PGRC (Bowie, MD) 25 June.

gary_valenzuela@me.com
garyav16 is offline Find More Posts by garyav16
Old Jun 02, 2013, 10:54 PM
United States, MI, Clarkston
Joined Apr 2007
78 Posts
Plane selection help

Hello all.

I need some help with a plane selection, for being able to fly precision aerobatics (IMAC) better than what my present planes are capable of.
Some history first. I have been flying a Horizon Hobby foamy T-28 for the past 2 years and able to do a lot of aerobatics with it. Last year moved up to a 40 sized top wing electric powered Great Planes Big Stick and again am able to perform aerobatics with it. This year I am flying a great planes bottom wing 40 sized electric powered Escapade and am able to perform aerobatics with this, as well. Although I am able to perform aerobatics with these planes, I find I am fighting with the capabilities of these planes to perform the aerobatic maneuvers as well as they should be performed and the electric powered systems are only providing me with 6 - 7 minutes of flight.

In researching for a new plane, my local hobby shop made a couple of recommendations. I indicated that I would like to try a gas engine powered plane, in the 15cc size (Horizon Hobby Evo 15). The planes they said that would be better were the Horizon Hobby Extra 300S (Seagull Models) and the Great Planes Reactor. These are essentially the same size, except I noticed that the Reactor fuselage is 59" long with a wing span of 58" with a wing area of 745 sq. in. and the Extra 300S fuselage is 46" long with a wing span of 63" with a wing area of 663 sq. in.

A thought I had was the Reactor with the longer fuselage would be able hold a line better than the shorter fuselage of the Extra 300S. Does the fuselage length make a difference.

Something else I liked about these planes was the construction of the fuselage: solid sides with cutouts for making them lighter (could take a little more abuse than what is noted next). I think I prefer this to the lighter construction to that of ones that use balsa stringers with a plastic film covering (once I become a better pilot, this would be better, I am sure).

What are other considerations I should consider? Are these planes any good or is there something better that I should be considering?

Thank you,

William
gritty is offline Find More Posts by gritty
Old Jun 03, 2013, 11:12 AM
Jim in the Desert
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
Excellent questions I also have William, looking forward to replies.

Jim
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
Old Jun 15, 2013, 06:29 PM
Chuck it and see!
UK, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire
Joined Sep 2006
1,376 Posts
Yak 54 .90size 15-25cc glow or gas engines.

I'm guessing this plane hits the bill quite well for the IMAC basic level. I'm considering one myself. Horizon Hobby in the states and Seagull Models in England.
Wing-span is offline Find More Posts by Wing-span
Old Jun 18, 2013, 06:44 AM
Chuck it and see!
Joined Sep 2006
1,376 Posts
Just got myself a Seagull Yak 54 with SC FS-120. Can't wait to start building it up.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:44 PM
Jim in the Desert
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
The IMAC planes I've seen are Extras, Edges, and Yaks. These are also used for 3D. Is there a difference between a 3D Extra and an IMAC Extra?
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
Old Jun 26, 2013, 07:08 PM
Chuck it and see!
Joined Sep 2006
1,376 Posts
In the way they are flown. Mostly. A 3D tuned airframe will probably have considerably larger control surfaces than scale and they will move with extreme throws also loads more power to weight than you might conventionally need. IMAC is more scale, smoother more scale like aeros and close to scale size control surfaces.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:17 AM
Rantoul, IL
Joined Feb 2006
11 Posts
Control surface size is not really different... A 3D plane and IMAC plane CAN be interchangeable, though I wouldn't necessarily recommend it (but then again, I'm kinda "old-school"). The only real difference is the setup. IMAC control throws are quite a bit smaller, especially the elevator. A normal IMAC elevator might move 11 or 12 degrees up and down, whereas a 3D setup would be like Wing-span said... "extreme"... 45 degrees +! On my competition airplane I have about 11 degrees elevator, around 40 degrees aileron on high rate, and 45 degrees rudder on high rate. The rate that I use depends on what part of the sequence I'm flying.
imacflyr3 is offline Find More Posts by imacflyr3