HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:28 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
The 4s 2200 I used fit fine. I did remove a bit of foam on the cover so the battery would scoot back about a 1/2 in. more.
Otherwise box stock, No problems.
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:27 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,359 Posts
dkrhardy,

It will fly fine out of the box. The battery location provided with a 2200 4s will be nose heavy even with it as far aft as the stock compartment will allow. I flew it many flights like that.

The stock servos are up to task as well.
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:48 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Good morning!
Thanks for that. I don't like nose heavy, but that is a safe way to start off and I'll work toward neutral CG.
Still, I'm hoping to hear from the folks that mentioned the firewall/motor mount as well as the mentioned gear strengthening.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:08 AM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,359 Posts
My stock gear and firewall held up fine.

Had many flights off a rough gravel runway and the only failures were due to me spinning it in and pancaking it from a 20 ft up. I ran an unbalanced motor for a long time and the firewall held fine. Its built for abuse.

Double check them during build but its a pretty stout craft.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:06 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Thanks pullup.

There have been several others that seemed to have issues and if they did some strength modifications, I'd like to do them before I fly it. My GP Edge was supposed to be weak in the landing gear mounting area so I did the adding of ply and epoxy before I flew it. It was rock solid from day one until I flew it into a tree at full chat. Sooooo, if some folks are willing to share, I'll do it just to be on the safe side.

The one foam AFR that I did try was riddled with gremlins, from gear to motor mount/firewall to bad servos and bad motor/ESC. So a head start would be nice.

Don
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:14 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
523 Posts
You Ain't Kiddin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullup! View Post
dkrhardy,

It will fly fine out of the box. The battery location provided with a 2200 4s will be nose heavy even with it as far aft as the stock compartment will allow. I flew it many flights like that.

The stock servos are up to task as well.
...the Devil has the right mix that makes for a great aerobatic sport Bipe...

Still had to push the elevator when inverted.....but that means I got to maiden her today... More on that later...
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:23 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Cool. Maiden complete.
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:33 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
523 Posts
First Impressions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post

Still had to push the elevator when inverted.....but that means I got to maiden her today... More on that later...
...'cause she's a virgin no more...... 'Yee Haw' seems like a pretty good descriptor for this super fun ship...

All right Devil 3D fans, if you haven't joined the club yet it's time to make the move as you won't be disappointed... First off, thanks to all the previous posters for helping me with getting my Devil setup & to pullup for all those tips about the battery mod & especially for the how-to for an inverted flat spin. I actually did some of those today... This is one confidence-inspiring ship...

Flew her 4 times today in the best January weather anyone could ask for: 70 degrees, sunny & light winds. Sorry pullup, us So Cal Flyers got it rough out here, don't we... Unfortunately, no video...gonna have to remedy that somehow 'cause I'd like to have it for myself for posterity, if not for learning purposes as well...

First flight was great. With "goofball pilot" at the controls, she rolled out, ran up the throttle tracking straight & true, & then pulled slight up & she was climbing steadily. I let off the elevator & the she really dove down so I climbed to safe altitude & started trimming her out. Seems she was fairly nose heavy, even with the battery mod but it wasn't too bad for the very first flight. Couple clicks left aileron & a lot of up elevator & she was flying level. Then the urge to start testing her limits won out & that's when the fun really started...

IMHO, this plane is everything the Peaks was but better. Rolls were so sharp & fast that after I landed her & I immediately reduced all throws since I used the same settings as the Peaks for a baseline. Dialed 'em down a bit & that smoothed her out nicely. She really has great power on uplines. 1/2-3/4 throttle & she keeps on climbing skyward, very impressive... She'll snap in an instant & recover cleanly. Did some blenders & then I changed the stick positions as pullup described & she was pancaking...couldn't believe it...... She's a bit sensitive so it's a good idea about keeping the low rates low, especially for the maiden flights... Tried some KE passes (up high, mind you) & she pulled to the gear. No surprise since my elevator was so tweaked out of the box... Used the same mix I had for the Peaks R-E & she was knifing great at just a little over 1/2 throttle... Couldn't get her locked in on hovers but HA was fun on high rates with some noticeable wing rock, pilot induced I'm sure... Landing was as easy as lining her up & slowly reducing the throttle to get into a nice & steady descent, just like my (now 2nd...) old favorite, the Peaks...

I flew her a total of 4 times & had a blast. I didn't get the CG all the way sorted out because I still had to push the elevator no matter how far back I moved the 4S 2200mAh packs... All in all a fantastic plane. I'm sure I'll get the CG figured out & she'll be that well-balanced, 3D capable ship I was expecting. Can't wait for next weekend now...
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; Jan 22, 2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Tweaks needed...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:59 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
RCAV8T0R - good on ya!
Mine is due on Monday, tomorrow. I will look for "tweaked" surfaces and look into the front end as well as the gear area and if I see anything that looks weak, as some foamies are, I'll beef it up before flight. I'd read that some folks had servo issues so I ordered all new MG's. But then some of you think they are fine, sooooooo I'll see how they trim out and go from there. Might just have a larger bag of servos in the parts bin.
I still have a 3DHS Yak that has not been maidened so I'll not need to rush into this one.
SoCal had some cold weather last week, I think, so it's nice you got the good stuff back. We are spoiled here too, today was 73 and mostly sunny. Bit breezy but just FINE for golf.
Wish me luck folks, my last foray into foamies was not pretty. Darned gremlin plane.
Don
Last edited by dkrhardy; Jan 21, 2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:08 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post

Congrats on the maiden! Its a fun plane!

I'm wondering if the horizontal stab angle is a little wonky from the factory, just a thought.

I'm missing my Devil, but Devil2 will be here Wed!

It sure likes to flatspin, congrats on doing a new trick first day out! ( now go throw it down on the Sbach)

My weekend begins Weds and we are suppose to hit 40! I'll be busting out the shorts and going flying Then more snow It will give me time to trick out the new Devil.

Again, congrats! Its good to see you had the same reaction I did to my first couple packs on the Devil. Tweak this a little bit here and there, then that feels about right....now fly the wings of it!!!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:00 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
523 Posts
Cheap Thrills...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
RCAV8T0R - good on ya!
...are what these Dynam birds deliver...

Quote:
Mine is due on Monday, tomorrow. I will look for "tweaked" surfaces and look into the front end as well as the gear area and if I see anything that looks weak, as some foamies are, I'll beef it up before flight. I'd read that some folks had servo issues so I ordered all new MG's. But then some of you think they are fine, sooooooo I'll see how they trim out and go from there. Might just have a larger bag of servos in the parts bin.
dkrhardy,
Having a good run so far with these Dynam ships & their electronics, except for some foam & linkage issues but nothing too out of the ordinary for Rx-R ARF's at this price point. It's always personal preference whether or not to go ahead & use (take your chances with, if you will) the stock gear. Usually I'll do some thorough bench testing before I'm satisfied with going forward with the OEM gear & usually the cheap stuff has worked out fine even though it may not be the best or the most precise. Just trying to get the most bang for the buck from the package that's provided...

Quote:
SoCal had some cold weather last week, I think, so it's nice you got the good stuff back. We are spoiled here too, today was 73 and mostly sunny. Bit breezy but just FINE for golf.
Heck ya, that's why you live where you (& I) live, so we can do whatever we want whenever we darn well feel like it... Just gotta pay the sunshine tax out here in So Cal...

Quote:
Wish me luck folks, my last foray into foamies was not pretty. Darned gremlin plane.
Don
Couple other pre-flight tips are to check the incidence of the main wing to the elevator because it's not in line with the horizontal stab. You'll need to set the elevator with a slight "up" condition compared to the horizontal stab... Also, be sure to balance your props as best as you can. The kit comes with two props & they are not balanced. Of the two, I balanced one & left the other alone because it "seemed" OK. Quickly found out in the air this wasn't the right choice so I replaced the prop with the one I manually balanced after the first flight all bad "vibes" disappeared at speeds past 3/4 throttle...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:24 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
RCAV8T0R - Thanks very much!

I do balance my props. I have a finger held version for a quick check at the field ... usually on other folks props. I have one of the better magnetic ones that I use at home. Even the "better" and higher priced props are usually a bit off balance, but I betcha you know that.

I will check it all carefully and I will be sure to put in a bit-o-up into the elevator. I had noticed that most all maiden reports said that nose up trim was needed, so I'l add a mm or two before the 1st flight. I will also do the ply sandwich in the firewall and look carefully at the gear area. The Peaks folks do some work in the gear area and I bet this plane is not a whole lot different there. I've several different thicknesses of ply and CF rods, so I'll just throw in what I think will work best.

On a similar note .... the Peaks seems to have some issues with warped control surfaces. I sorta expect to see some on this Devil and that is why I went ahead and bought 2 sizes of CF rod. If I need to lay some in, I've got it. BTW, has anyone ran wire or rod from the horizontal stab to the vertical stab like the peaks has?

It is due today, UPS says it is on the truck. Probably gets here at toddy time and I won't mess with it at all after an adult beverage.

"Heck ya, that's why you live where you (& I) live, so we can do whatever we want whenever we darn well feel like it... Just gotta pay the sunshine tax out here in So Cal." Our sunshine tax isn't TOO bad, but what we don't pay in State Income Tax is made up for in propery tax and license plate fees. I retired, again and forever, last Feb. and I am loving life .... playing a lot-o-golf, flying, etc. If you have the latest version of RealFlight sim, they have my flying field on it! Polo field at The Villages FL. We are a drinking community with a golf problem. And a part time flying problem.

Don
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
I have a tip for rubbery aluminum landing gear legs. Drill a hole in each leg and run CF rod, or even strong wire from one leg to the other and afix it with your own favorite form of epoxy/glue/etc. If using wire, just twist it so it won't come out and a bit of silver duct tape to hide the twisted wires on the gear legs. Mid to low on the leg may be best, if it is too high on the leg, it will still bend.

Havings said the above, if you are a hard lander ... don't do it. The gear won't have a lot of "give" to it and you may damage the foam mounting area.

The best thing is to use CF gear. I have 2 extra sets in my parts locker ............ if the gear starts to look bendy, out it comes and in with the CF.

Don
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:53 PM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Guess what my favorite UPS driver dropped off today?? Now if only my son didn't have Cub Scouts tonight and tomorrow night...

PS- Congrats on the maiden RCAV8TOR!! Can't wait for mine, might just have to pull an all nighter!
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Mr. Brown dropped mine off too!
1st impressions ... it came triple boxed, shipping box with the big logo box inside, then each piece was boxed inside of the logo box. No damage, all is well. Pilot will NOT ride in my plane!

OK, on to the plane. The reason they need up elevator, IMHO, is because the elevator has a cup in it! Look at yours from the side and see if the stab is straight but the rear part of the elevator turns downward. The trailing edge has a downward bend that gets worse from the fuselage out to the tip. That may be why it flies well but needs elevator to fly inverted even after being well trimmed. The horizontal stabilizer seems OK. I will use gentle heat and clamp on some straight material to hold it until it cools. I've seen this sort of thing before and if you are cautious it is fairly easy to fix. May take more than one application of heat. Next, the firewall/motor mount seems quite tight but I will do the ply sandwich with copious amounts of epoxy.

I now know why there was so little response to my landing gear questions. There is no way to get to the mount from inside of the plane, so no chance of a ply sandwich there. There is a large void under the top of the gear mount down to where it is wedged, and hopefully glued, into the fuselage. There are angular cuts in the foam that will allow some epoxy to flow all around the mount, at the bottom where it will not interfere with the gear legs and screws. That void will soon be a block of epoxy.

How about cooling? There is a relief hole in the fuselage but I don't see where any air can get in to flow past the ESC and battery. The cowl openings just vent out the side and cannot enter the fuselage at all. Very little, if any, can get past the motor.

I'm happy that I have time to "play" with it before I fly it, got other planes to get my fix with. I'll plod along and do what I think I need and then I'll flog it. Besides, my servos won't be here for a week and by then I'll have done most of the other stuff and checked out the stock servos in the plane now.

BTW, the gear legs seem to have a bit of spring in them so I'll do my wire brace, give them a go and if I don't like them, I'll put in CF gear. The fun begins!

Don

edit: Looked in the parts bin and I see I have a few MG 17G servos. I can replace some now if I need to.
Last edited by dkrhardy; Jan 21, 2013 at 07:22 PM.