HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2012, 07:25 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,379 Posts
Alert
DLG guys need to see this...

See Spektrum AR6255 receiver failure...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...09&postcount=1
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2012, 08:05 PM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
441 Posts
Really sorry to hear that. Beautiful plane (or was). Even several crashes I've heard of before this one, I stay away from Spektum in general. Yeah, their adds are all pretty in each AMA issue but they rank pretty low in my estimation (many will truly say that they've had zero issues, but it's the ones that do have issues that keeps me away from the brand (aside from their price levels being several times more than other brands with much better records so far). No system or installation is ideal but some are less ideal than others. Pretty lame statements from Spektrum too.

Even if Spektrum is fine in reality I'd rather misinterpret all these piled up incidents and go with another brand. I'm not looking forward to the next incident with another Spektrum ARxxxx.

Again, sorry about that crash. Hope it can be repaired or something.
Joseph
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube
Old May 08, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,686 Posts
I don't have a 2.4 system yet, for that reason. I also have alot of 72mh gear.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 08:48 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,652 Posts
Oh my, if you have a 6255 your going to loose everything. I've seen the same thing happen with every major brand.
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old May 08, 2012, 10:10 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,414 Posts
While every system has had problems, Spektrum has certainly had more than most...they were first to market and I bet sold waaaay more systems before Futaba/Hited etc. even had systems. Still, even have a Spektrum radio to use with bind and fly products, and use Spektrum systems in much much tougher rf situations than most.

It sucks to loose a model, any model, especially a high end glider. I don't like Spektrum/HH's response to this situation, the receiver should work fine in this application. DLG's are much worse rf wise, most have much more carbon than your pulsar. Still, to be very fair, it is possible there was a Rx install issue, a power issue to the system or some random error. You may have been subject to a Rx failure, say 1 in 10,000 have a bad component or solder joint that fails in flight. It sucks but it is a hobby-do you want to pay $1000 for a mil spec receiver?
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old May 08, 2012, 10:34 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,652 Posts
No where in the report does he indicate what battery he was using. How was it charged and when? How long was he flying? Need more info.
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old May 08, 2012, 10:50 PM
United States, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Sounds like a horizon pilot defending speadrectum.... sorry for your loss. I lost 1 res on spektrum and almost lost a my 50cc extra on spektrum. I just dont trust it.

J
J. Wydronek is offline Find More Posts by J. Wydronek
Old May 09, 2012, 07:20 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,596 Posts
When I was getting lockouts with the 6250s they blamed my batteries, regulators, and everything but the receivers. I offered to ship them my components to test and they declined. They called me a liar on the forums and did everything they could to protect their brand.

Nine months later they issued a recall admitting a problem and never apologized.

I switched brands and had several issues with their stuff too. However, this company actually asked for the components, found the issue, publicly admitted a flaw, fixed it, replaced the components, apologized for my losses, and continues to earn my trust.

With all that being said... yes we need more information and need to NOT rush to judgement in either direction. Lockouts happen. Receivers are computers now with software and synchronization and a whole lot going on besides basic RF. Sometimes they're (lockouts) the fault of the manufacturer and sometimes not. Either way, I'm sorry for your loss and hopefully you can figure out what happened so that you can fly with confidence in the future.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old May 09, 2012, 08:39 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,338 Posts
If you decide to go with a different radio, this one right here is fantastic and that is a great price.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old May 09, 2012, 01:22 PM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,509 Posts
I had a problem with JR Rx, but before rushing to a bad RX conclusion, I looked into what errors I could make. You know the routine, check all connections, all wires and battery, regulator, all the normal stuff. I had taken the case off my Rx and put shrink wrap over it, for lightness. You know, you do it all the time.

What I found out was that I had some steel pushrod wired running in the fuselage. Since DLGs are so tight inside, you remove the case and shrink wrap the Rx. Well the pins on the RX touched the metal pushrod wire, and this shorted the battery for a moment and that re-set the Rx as if It has just been turned on. In the few seconds that the Rx was re-acquiring the signal, the plane accelerated massively into the ground. It was later embarrassing to admit it, but now I make sure that once I connect the servos to the Rx etc, I have the pins covered also. I have even put wire shrink tubing over the pins that were left exposed.

So I agree with Tom, you need to check for induced pilot issues prior to jumping to the bigger conclusion. The Rx still might be the issue.

But after all that, the question is whether the pilot was using a proper Rx for the task. There are all sorts of Park Flyer RXs out there, yet we still try to save money by putting a less expensive Rx in the plane. If the plane is expensive, why was a Rx with a satellite RX not being used? I have used satellite Rxs in my DLGs too and for no other reason but to make sure that the Cf in the fuselage does not blank out every signal.

Just a few other comments, IMHO.

Chris
Thermaln2 is online now Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Old May 09, 2012, 02:10 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,414 Posts
Just for reference, I am NOT a sponsored JR/Specktrum pilot. I have some ties to that, but they're about the same as the average joe who's buddy is an XXXX team pilot. I fly Futaba Tx's and FrSky 2.4GHz gear and am very happy with both.

My point is the same as Tom's, sometimes its the manufactures fault, but it is very easy to blame the mfg for user error. Again, I do not like HH/Spektrum pointing immediate blame at the user and not trying to work with the customers. That is what has put me off using their products now or in the future.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old May 09, 2012, 03:50 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,418 Posts
I am very sorry to hear about the pilot's crash.

That said, I have to make one semi humorous comment. Am I the only person who is aggravated by "lost" planes. How is that plane "lost" if he has a picture of it? The plane is wrecked, not lost. I have lost several planes. I would love to have those planes been wrecked instead of lost.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old May 09, 2012, 06:19 PM
Come out swinging
San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
2,650 Posts
I'll keep flying my 6255. These issues are very rare, especially with the new carbon fuse RX. I'm not worried.

The only problems I have had is with low battery voltage. No crashed planes though. However, if I use a 2 cell LiPo and PD regulator, I have had no problems. I can see how if someone was using a 4-cell NiMH pack directly into the RX, at low voltages, there may be a problem, even with the 6255.

Sean
sporter is offline Find More Posts by sporter
Old May 09, 2012, 11:12 PM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
441 Posts
Obviously, there is insufficient info from this incidence to isolate the rx as the problem, as David and others pointed out, but there is more to Spektrum's history than this. For me and some others, it all adds up to at least using cheaper systems in order to help compensate for the crashes. A pile of unproved incidents is worse than few to no incidents. Truly hope nobody in our dlg community has an expensive lockout this summer, Spektrum or otherwise.

Joseph
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube