HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:03 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
663 Posts
Ed,

No real artistry involved, I just used a french curve to draw a shape that I liked on the deck, then followed it up with 3M fineline tape. I know it's unusual, but I 1st came up with the idea on my V32 so figured I'd do the same to the C-J.

werlec,

The mainsheet fairlead is a Pekabe #470 in which I discarded the upper "cone" and replaced it with a stainless metric hexnut. It should still run fairly smoothly, yet also be low profile enough to allow my sliding hatch cover on/off.

bgnome,

The plywood is supposedly "Finnish birch ply" from a local supplier. I got the last half sheet they had in stock. I guess I lucked out as one side has a pretty interesting grain pattern, which came out even more after staining.

Kevin
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:37 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
663 Posts
Did some color sanding today. Started with 1500 grit wet, to knock down some of the orange peel and blemishes in the paint. Then I switched to 2000 grit wet to smooth it out some more. Unfortunately sanded into the primer on the sharp edge of the deck near the transom while trying to clean up where some varnish had bled under the masking tape unto the paint. I think I might try to mist some paint over the spot and color sand again to blend it in. Maybe this weekend I'll tackle that and start polishing to bring the shine back.
Last edited by poltergeist; Dec 17, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:38 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,797 Posts
Hi Kevin,

I have done the same thing. I spray some paint into a paper cup and let it set for 10 minutes (to thicken up) then touch it up with a brush. Let that dry for a couple of days then sand it down.

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:22 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
663 Posts
Ed,

I ended up doing a quick mask and doing my best to spray/blend fresh paint over the spot I sanded through, trying to get a fairly heavy coat on the spot and less the further away. I think with some careful color sanding (hopefully more careful than last time!) it'll be virtually invisible.

Kevin
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:47 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
663 Posts
Got my paint repair blended in fairly well. Started to polish out the boat a bit, not having too much luck bringing back the gloss to the varnished deck. Not sure why. I might have to put down another coat of varnish and just leave it. Also did a float test in my folks pool today, I think I got the waterline pretty close.....close enough anyway!!!

Kevin
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:16 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,797 Posts
Looks great Kevin. I sure like the classic line's of the "J" boat.

Have you started on the sails yet?

Ed
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:01 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
663 Posts
Ed,

Still trying to decide on who to use for sails. I trashed the jib for my ODOM when my sail box opened up on the freeway (after our little race demo a few month's ago) Was gonna have the guy that's hot in ODOM's build me sails for it, and he said he's also willing to build sails for the C-J. Only trouble is he's got a huge backlog. Would kinda like to have the sails on hand while I'm building the mast/rig, so I may start looking elsewhere.

Wish we could talk all those guys in the INS to give up on their portly N12's and build and sail lightweight, sleek C-J's instead!!!

Kevin
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:44 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,797 Posts
Kevin,

I ordered mine from Carr Sails and had them in just a few days.

Ed
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:52 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
663 Posts
Got the hull and painted areas of the deck buffed and polished. Not perfect but looks pretty good if one follows my "two boatlength rule" which is to say if it looks good from two boatlengths away it's good enough. The "bright" areas of the deck were another matter. Couldn't get a nice shine to come up at all. So remask/scuff and revarnish. Has some bubbles/bumps but at least it's glossy again. May have to be "good enough".

Got the rudder colorsanded, polished and reinstalled. Rudder servo and linkage set up, seems to work just fine.

Loaded the boat with all the hardware I expect to install, including a battery pack, sail servo and sail arm, and hatch covers, but without any wiring/switch or the mast/sails/boom etc. She's at 12lbs-14ozs so far. I just may come in a bit light if I'm carefull with my rig building skills.

Got a set of sails on order, so hopefully can get started on the rig soon.

Kevin
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:54 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Simply gorgeous! great work!
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:04 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,797 Posts
The fit and finish looks great. Looks like I will have to dump some ballast. What sails did you order?

Ed
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:37 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
663 Posts
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Ed....I went round and round on sails. Finally decided to try Bob S. at www.siriussails.com

Seems like he's had some success in the class, and I saw a set of his sails in person at El Dorado Park in Long Beach....they looked to be very nice. Plus he promised fairly quick turnaround. It'll be interesting to compare with yours side by side when (if) I ever get 'ol 551 finished.

Kevin
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:46 PM
Joined Apr 2011
29 Posts
Hi Guys, First I am not related to Herman Berger. Next I would like to share with you a fun rig I worked up for my Canterbury J
Bergerboats is offline Find More Posts by Bergerboats
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Apr 2011
29 Posts
Kevin and Ed, I ment to thank you for the great job you are doing on the sites and the good looking boats you both have built. Keep up the good work, Thanks to guys like you the class is growing. Hans
Bergerboats is offline Find More Posts by Bergerboats
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:01 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,262 Posts
Nice boat, I like the black sails.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME