HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:35 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
BabbelBatts from user RCbabbel. Hyperion 180 or 240. That's all I fly. The best!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:56 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
BabbelBatts from user RCbabbel. Hyperion 180 or 240. That's all I fly. The best!
i assume those would require i get some sort of charging harness as well (my current batteries have a jst and balance plug along with the umx plug)
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:09 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Plane? So, this is a carpentry thread? I've got a couple Stanleys around here somewhere. Beast 3D sure is an odd name for a plane.

Joel
Hey Joel if you need help figuring it out try this out and I'll show you.
AGUDE -> EAU -> AUW -> GRB -> TVC -> KTVC

There is a bit of blue between GRB and TVC though

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:10 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
i assume those would require i get some sort of charging harness as well (my current batteries have a jst and balance plug along with the umx plug)
The UMX plug is a balance plug as well, all three wires are there.

-Brian
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:52 AM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,493 Posts
I finally joined the club today and I'm glad I did. Winds were pretty big here in Texas for a UM, but the Beast V2 took to it like an old pro and flew solid as a rock. I was shocked at how effective AS3X was. I fully expected it to be good, but not excellent. This is a game-changer in RC. I finally feel like I'm flying a plane from the future.

My maiden was in front of my house and I attracted quite a few people who watched me fly and expected me to stuff it due to the wind. They were all surprised that I was able to make a nice three-point greaser with it (as was I!). This plane is a keeper and definitely makes me look forward to the Spitfire UM with AS3X.

I have two helicopters, the mSRx and the mCP X, both with AS3X, and while it's neat, it's not nearly as noticeable to me as it is on the Beast. Maybe it's because I've only been flying the helicopters for a few months vs the 30+ years with fixed-wing, but I am fully looking forward to more UM/UMX planes with AS3X.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:13 AM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Finally got my 5043 props. So I am ready to do the V1 transplant... stupid question I know, but pls remember I am a noob lol. Which way does the prop go? I'm thinking the side with the numbers (size and GWS) out? towards the spinner? That side looks more "finished" and the one with nothing written on it more raw. I'll be CA'ing it directly to the spinner, and actually fits fine (no modding)... of course the back plate does not as Joel had said. I know some have made new back plates, but can I just run without it?

and Edge.. welcome. I think we all went through the shock of our first maidens and understanding just how good this plane is and flys. It will continue to dazzle for a long time.
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:52 AM
Too much to do not enough time
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2010
273 Posts
The "GWS" and "EP5043" numbers should be facing OUT. IE, if you look at the front of the plane, you'll see those. However, I usually sand those numbers off, and then balance the prop. I've found that USUALLY, the EP5043 side is a bit heavier, so this helps balance a bit.

Also, I usually keep the back-plate on there, and sand down the 5043's hub a bit. *shrugs* whatever fits though. It's very easy to grind away, 3-4 minutes with some sandpaper and a flat surface and it'll be just slightly thicker than the stock prop or a 5030.
BobaFett1138 is offline Find More Posts by BobaFett1138
Old Mar 17, 2012, 03:16 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobaFett1138 View Post
The "GWS" and "EP5043" numbers should be facing OUT. IE, if you look at the front of the plane, you'll see those. However, I usually sand those numbers off, and then balance the prop. I've found that USUALLY, the EP5043 side is a bit heavier, so this helps balance a bit.

Also, I usually keep the back-plate on there, and sand down the 5043's hub a bit. *shrugs* whatever fits though. It's very easy to grind away, 3-4 minutes with some sandpaper and a flat surface and it'll be just slightly thicker than the stock prop or a 5030.
I usually find the same thing, that the 5043 side is heavier. be careful sanding down the hub and be sure to balance the prop after, it will need it. If you don't have a nice prop balancer the method I use is take a torx t8 (perfect sized shaft) and put the prop on it blades level side to side, hold the screwdriver level and tap the handle of the driver lightly repeatedly. One blade will fall. make a note of which blade, reverse the prop so that its facing the opposite direction on the shaft and repeat. If the same blade drops add a small amount of packing tape to the light blade(the one that's now up). repeat. I know its overkill to reverse the prop but I just do that to be sure there is no; drafts, wind, me breathing on the prop, in the room spinning the prop. one it stays more or less level its about in balance, probably not perfect but close enough. mount it up and run the motor up holding the plane in your hand, it should be smooth and mostly vibration free all the way through the throttle range.

-Brian
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:42 AM
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Thanks as always guys.

As for an update. Stopped by the LHS after work today (beautiful flying day). Had Erik, the one who does most of the shop work help me install the V1 and 5043. We did no back plate, lol.. I said.. should we balance the prop.. he says nah.. a prop this small no worries. Head to the field... first impression is man, everyone said this is quieter.. well yeah the motor is, but the airflow from the 5043 prop was so much more to me it actually is louder with this setup. Sounds like a really big pissed off bubblebee. I didn't notice vibration per se, but the airflow over the plane in my hand at full throttle seems to shake everything.. the control surfaces are being blown around and even the CF rods are vibrating. With the airflow sems it would be hard to do the method Joel mentioned.. with the adding of tape.. dunno that with all the airflow I'd even notice a difference. The old motor and stock prop was just the electric sound of the motor, and some airflow. Now it is just LOTS of air moving and buzzing. Interesting though if I come across the field in a low, full throttle fly-by, bank a touch, and yank up it sounds like a real plane (pulling itself through the air), but on a small scale instead of the old electric whirring only.

Put it in the air.... and WOW, yes a very noticeable increase in performance. The plane really did "come alive", everything so much easier and faster with the added power and torque. After about a minute of checking things out put it in a straight vertical climb at about 3/4 throttle. After about 200' the vertical climb slowed and the plane settled into a sweet prop hover about 200-250' up. Just sat there, only a touch of elevator control needed... started rotating with full left aileron... and sat there.. spinning.. and spinning. The 5-6 mph wind blowing it slowly across the field as it just sat spinning and hovering. The old motor would not have done this, with a big grin blew through 5 batteries... a whole different plane. One thing I notice during flight is I have my full throttle, level flight, wing-wiggle back, I figure it is from the seriously increased airflow over the surfaces, and flat increase in speed. Are these normal things to encounter? I realize the prop may be out of balance, and may try some tape tomorrow... I may be hearing/feeling prop vibration, but I swear it seems just like sick increased airflow.. but then again looking through this thread the vid I saw of a 3000kv Styker motor didn't seem to have the wiggles. Either way even if I do not get the prop balanced out this plane is MUCH more fun now than stock for sure.

As a side note the servo chatter seems to have stopped for now.. wondering even more if the bad motor was contributing.
Last edited by dragonshade; Mar 18, 2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:59 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
I said.. should we balance the prop.. he says nah.. a prop this small no worries.
but the airflow from the 5043 prop was so much more to me it actually is louder with this setup. Sounds like a real big pissed off bubblebee.
Now it is just air moving and buzzing.
Are these normal things to encounter? I realize the prop may be out of balance, and may try some tape tomorrow... I may be hearing/feeling prop vibration, but I swear it seems just like sick increased airflow..
These props are way out of balance. You really do need to balance them. All that buzzing and bumblebee sound is the prop out of balance. The v1 with the 5043 is way quieter than the stock setup as long as you balance the prop. I always use a magnetic prop balancer but some are able to do it trial and error with tape. Not me.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:05 AM
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
These props are way out of balance. You really do need to balance them. All that buzzing and bumblebee sound is the prop out of balance. The v1 with the 5043 is way quieter than the stock setup as long as you balance the prop. I always use a magnetic prop balancer but some are able to do it trial and error with tape. Not me.

Just searched what you are talking about.. once you know where the balance issue is do you use tape to correct also? Yes, for sure louder than stock in pure sound but beastly fast.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:11 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Just searched what you are talking about.. once you know where the balance issue is do you use tape to correct also? Yes, for sure louder than stock in pure sound but beastly fast.
I trim and sand. This is not good to do with bigger props because you get the blades pulling slightly different amounts as one is slightly shorter than the other. But I don't worry about it with the little guys partly because the lever arm of the blade is so short. I get good, smooth results with trimming and sanding and figure the airflow is disrupted less than with tape.

Honestly, I've tried tape too and I can't tell the difference. I think both methods work fine.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:08 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
+1 you definitely need to balance these props.

-Brian
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:09 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
+1 on balancing the GWS props!

In four years of flying UMs with GWS 5030 & 5043 props, I have yet to get one that was even close. Severely out-of-balance props rob power, and they are often responsible for electronic & structural failures. With AS3X planes, vibration can cause a number of problems - 'aileron shake' being one of them. Aileron shake can also be caused by too much gyro gain for the flight-condition. Higher speeds combined with having the aileron pushrods set for max throw can also cause the problem. Moving the aileron pushrods out a notch usually solves speed-related, AS3X-induced 'aileron shake' on the Beast 3D.

Brian,

Regarding what you noted about the heavy blade - funny, I never paid attention until you mentioned it! I just looked at my UMs that have 5030 or 5043 props. Sure enough, the blade with 'GWS' on it is the lightest in all but one case.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Spun it up this morning, put a piece of a nice, heavy packing tape I have on the GWS side... maybe a 1cm by 1cm piece... 2/3 of the way to the tip.... MUCH more vibration. Swapped it to the other end... better. Added a bit more right near the tip, and it is even better. At 3/4-full throttle it is smooth, but 1/3-1/2 throttle still a little vibration. Without laying another layer of tape that is all I can do. Do you think if I added some closer to the motor shaft may help even more? If I did though basically the whole length back side of that prop blade would have tape on it.

Off to try it out.. headed to the field.