Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:09 AM
bluefield va.
Joined Sep 2009
319 Posts
Hey guys Ive got a raptor titan and a zyx installed,Im having trouble getting my full range of pitch????Looking at the side of the heli (where the gauge is) Im only getting from 0 to 12 of pitch and it doesnt look like my pitch servo moves much??Im using the zyx-s unit and programmed it with a fbl gyro programmer...Do I need to do something with different servo wheel /linkage or could it be in the setup????I picked light 3d in setup.....Any info would be nice Thanks Chopper
grasschopper is offline Find More Posts by grasschopper
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:19 AM
Athens
Joined Sep 2006
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Great flying mate!!!
pani is online now Find More Posts by pani
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:26 AM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasschopper View Post
Hey guys Ive got a raptor titan and a zyx installed,Im having trouble getting my full range of pitch????Looking at the side of the heli (where the gauge is) Im only getting from 0 to 12 of pitch and it doesnt look like my pitch servo moves much??Im using the zyx-s unit and programmed it with a fbl gyro programmer...Do I need to do something with different servo wheel /linkage or could it be in the setup????I picked light 3d in setup.....Any info would be nice Thanks Chopper
What's your collective range set to? You might try increasing it.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:30 PM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
getting ready to convert my 500 to fbl. just wondered if any one is using the tarot split lock head and did it come with the little head button on the top, because mine didn't, not that it matters i suppose. just wondered if it should have one as it has the hole.
peter24 is offline Find More Posts by peter24
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:36 PM
AMA Member # 458448
United States, MA, ALLSTON
Joined May 2011
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter24 View Post
getting ready to convert my 500 to fbl. just wondered if any one is using the tarot split lock head and did it come with the little head button on the top, because mine didn't, not that it matters i suppose. just wondered if it should have one as it has the hole.
My 450 version did not come with head button. I don't use it so that's okay with me.
lcc014 is offline Find More Posts by lcc014
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:44 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter24 View Post
I don't have one, but I know they don't come with a head button, like the 450 one doesn't. I didn't bother to put one on my 450 split lock head, as it looked better without it.

Anyway, to slow the blades down just push the pitch to maximum, when the head speed has dropped enough, that it won't lift off. They will slow down pretty quick by doing this.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:22 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,550 Posts
Help with ZYX initialization!

When my heli powers up, ZYX will initialize by moving the 3 cyclic servo arms at their full range of motion. The servo arms move so far that it hits the frame hard. The movements are so fast and forceful that the ball links are snapped out of the swash plate.

How do I fix this? I have setup the heli such that there are no bindings at full collective and full cyclic. But the servos do not seem to obey the limits during initialization.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:01 AM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Did you adjust the 'swash travel' in the set up menu in the ZYX ?
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:11 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Jun 2012
267 Posts
Hi Guys, just a heads up (no pun intended) on anyone that purchased the Tarot FBL non DFC head from Miracle Mart when they were on special for $11.90 (and had stock). I bought 2 of them and they arrived a few weeks ago.

I've worked out why they are on such a good special.... the feathering shaft has not been made correctly. The screws that go in the end to hold the grips and thrust bearings in does not screw into the feathing shaft all the way. It's about 2 turns too short. Looks like when they tapped the thread in the end it has not gone in far enough.

Both of my units are the same so I'm guessing they are all like that. The rest of it looks great and I just swapped out the feathering shaft with a spare.

This is the link to the Tarot head on special: http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=8741

Cheers
Jonesy
ahamay is offline Find More Posts by ahamay
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:43 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
Did you adjust the 'swash travel' in the set up menu in the ZYX ?
Yes, it is set at "80" for both aileron and elevator travel. I ensured that are no bindings when I apply full negative collective and full positive collection, while moving my cyclic to the full range. At "80" and when I move the collective and cyclic sticks around, the servo arms appears to move about -45 degrees to 0 degrees to +45 degrees (total 90 degrees). But at initialization, it moves from about -60 degrees to 0 degrees to +60 degrees (total 120 degrees)! I may make a video later if it helps explain the issue but here's a simplified diagram of the extreme servo arm movements.
Code:
                 +45 deg
   +-----+     x
   |     |   x
   |     | x
   |ser  x        (Small range during stick movements)
   |  vo | x
   |     |   x
   +-----+     x
                 -45 deg

+60 deg
   +-----+  x
   |     | x
   |     |x
   |ser  x       (Huge range during initialization)
   |  vo |x
   |     | x
   +-----+  x
              -60 deg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahamay View Post
I've worked out why they are on such a good special.... the feathering shaft has not been made correctly. The screws that go in the end to hold the grips and thrust bearings in does not screw into the feathing shaft all the way. It's about 2 turns too short. Looks like when they tapped the thread in the end it has not gone in far enough.
I got the ZYX + 450FL head combo from Miracle Mart weeks ago, and I'm still setting up the bird. How do I tell if "the screws do not screw into the feathering shaft all the way"? Assuming mine suffers the same problem as yours, would that be a concern?

Thanks guys!
Last edited by FyreSG; Feb 26, 2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:13 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Jun 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
I got the ZYX + 450FL head combo from Miracle Mart weeks ago, and I'm still setting up the bird. How do I tell if "the screws do not screw into the feathering shaft all the way"? Assuming mine suffers the same problem as yours, would that be a concern?

Thanks guys!
When you pull it all apart to grease and thread lock the head (I assume you've done this or are going to do it) it's really obvious as there is way too much play in the thrust bearings.

If you take the feathering shaft apart and take the thrust bearing off then just screw the bolt with the little brass washer into the feathering shaft, the washer should meet the end of the feathering shaft. If you can still see thread between the end of the FS and the brass washer it's dodgy as there will be too much play in the thrust bearing.

Hope that helps.
ahamay is offline Find More Posts by ahamay
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:20 AM
Joined May 2009
379 Posts
Quote:
When my heli powers up, ZYX will initialize by moving the 3 cyclic servo arms at their full range of motion. The servo arms move so far that it hits the frame hard. The movements are so fast and forceful that the ball links are snapped out of the swash plate.

How do I fix this? I have setup the heli such that there are no bindings at full collective and full cyclic. But the servos do not seem to obey the limits during initialization.
You better redo all the setting. What firmware is in the ZYX?
Disconnect all servo and redo the setup for servo first. After you done, connect the servo.
It's really unusual behavior.
pinguin is offline Find More Posts by pinguin
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:00 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahamay View Post
Hi Guys, just a heads up (no pun intended) on anyone that purchased the Tarot FBL non DFC head from Miracle Mart when they were on special for $11.90 (and had stock). I bought 2 of them and they arrived a few weeks ago.

Both of my units are the same so I'm guessing they are all like that. The rest of it looks great and I just swapped out the feathering shaft with a spare.

This is the link to the Tarot head on special: http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=8741

Cheers
Jonesy
Sorry to hear that Jonesy - mine is fine
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:08 AM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,193 Posts
My black head is fine also. You might just try a little shorter bolt . A single mm either side wont really matter for strength.

Im getting another if they will restock.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:39 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,550 Posts
Quote:
Yes, it is set at "80" for both aileron and elevator travel. I ensured that are no bindings when I apply full negative collective and full positive collection, while moving my cyclic to the full range. At "80" and when I move the collective and cyclic sticks around, the servo arms appears to move about -45 degrees to 0 degrees to +45 degrees (total 90 degrees). But at initialization, it moves from about -60 degrees to 0 degrees to +60 degrees (total 120 degrees)! I may make a video later if it helps explain the issue but here's a simplified diagram of the extreme servo arm movements.
Code:
                 +45 deg
   +-----+     x
   |     |   x
   |     | x
   |ser  x        (Small range during stick movements)
   |  vo | x
   |     |   x
   +-----+     x
                 -45 deg

+60 deg
   +-----+  x
   |     | x
   |     |x
   |ser  x       (Huge range during initialization)
   |  vo |x
   |     | x
   +-----+  x
              -60 deg

Thanks guys!
I made the video of the problem below:
Tarot ZYX v3.50 Problem - Violet Servo Movements at Initialization (1 min 13 sec)

What's wrong?