Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:41 PM
Joined Jun 2011
27 Posts
Discussion
DX5e - 2 Crazy Easter eggs found

I was messing around a bit with my DX5e last night and did this sequence:

Easter egg #1:

> Hold rudder trim left -->Hold trainer switch up --> turn on transmitter.

This was not intentional btw. I originally triggered it with clumsy fingers.

What it does:

Makes a crazy beep pattern then rests on a blinking green light. Now click the rudder trim left 6 times. Each time it will beep upward pattern. On the 6th one it goes to a solid green again.

What does this do?? There is no documentation anywhere online which addresses this. I called tech support and got this answer "I don't know." I would expect them to be the authoritative voice of their product.

Easter egg #2:

> Hold rudder trim left & aileron trim right --> hold up trainer switch --> Turn on transmitter.

This puts the device in a mode which 7 flashes along with tones from the green light happens then rests on a long tone on red. Then repeats.

What does this do?? Not sure but again not documented anywhere.

If anyone has information on these functions I would love to know what they do.
Gst13xp is offline Find More Posts by Gst13xp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:57 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
You have more hands than most peoples to be able to do that
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:40 PM
Joined Dec 2010
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gst13xp View Post
I was messing around a bit with my DX5e last night and did this sequence:

Easter egg #1:

> Hold rudder trim left -->Hold trainer switch up --> turn on transmitter.

This was not intentional btw. I originally triggered it with clumsy fingers.

What it does:

Makes a crazy beep pattern then rests on a blinking green light. Now click the rudder trim left 6 times. Each time it will beep upward pattern. On the 6th one it goes to a solid green again.

What does this do?? There is no documentation anywhere online which addresses this. I called tech support and got this answer "I don't know." I would expect them to be the authoritative voice of their product.

Easter egg #2:

> Hold rudder trim left & aileron trim right --> hold up trainer switch --> Turn on transmitter.

This puts the device in a mode which 7 flashes along with tones from the green light happens then rests on a long tone on red. Then repeats.

What does this do?? Not sure but again not documented anywhere.

If anyone has information on these functions I would love to know what they do.
I think those are equivalent to a bat signal for Andy Kunz. Be careful, though...if he shows up to your door and you don't have an r/c emergency, he'll be pissed.
Confuzshuz is offline Find More Posts by Confuzshuz
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:59 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,445 Posts
One of them is the "brick my radio" command. Be careful that you don't find it.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:09 PM
Joined Dec 2010
210 Posts
...and there he is
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:30 AM
Joined Jun 2011
27 Posts
Really?? Why on earth and for what use case would anyone design a controller with easy hidden features like this that would destroy it? That doesn't compute. (scratching head wondering why) but given that be the case, at least it's a cheapo.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:32 AM
Joined Dec 2010
210 Posts
Quote:
Really?? Why on earth and for what use case would anyone design a controller with easy hidden features like this that would destroy it? That doesn't compute. (scratching head wondering why) but given that be the case, at least it's a cheapo.
I'm pretty sure he's just messing with you.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:58 AM
Joined Jun 2011
27 Posts
I sure hope so, but i've tried everything I can and it won't bind at all now. I think I might just send it back but really question what those functions do. And heavily advise people to take my word for it. DONT try it. lol!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:00 AM
Joined Jun 2011
27 Posts
Solved easter egg 1! A lot of testing but I figured out the code. DX5e has built in reprogramming of the sticks. So with transmitter off, hold up trainer --> hold rudder trim left ---> Clears all controls.

Next step is the tricky part to figure out. How do you remap without any written documentation. Well simple. About 3 redbulls later and this is how it works.

Once you hear the array of beeps, the last green light on the controller will be blinking.

Hold left stick up and to the right --> press rudder left once. It should beep.
Hold left stick up and to the left --> press rudder left once. beep.
Hold right stick up and to the right --> same step
Hold right stick up and to the left --> same step
Now press the left rudder trim a couple more times until it goes solid. Turn off your controller and now bind.

Presto. Pretty cool actually. I just wished the tech support at Horizon could have explained this to me. Only thing they could tell me is that it's broke and send it back.

I hope this helps others.

Cheers

Still don't know what the second easter egg does yet.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:53 AM
Joined Jun 2011
27 Posts
Final mapping for controls

There were two final beeps that weren't accounted for. Tested and works well. I thought I would create a visual for the hell of it.

Orange dots are hold stick locations for beeps.

Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:59 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,445 Posts
I was just messing with you. But I guess you found one!

Quote:
Presto. Pretty cool actually. I just wished the tech support at Horizon could have explained this to me. Only thing they could tell me is that it's broke and send it back.
First off, they're not Easter Eggs. Easter Eggs are things like games, obviously useful in some way to the average person.

When you send it back, tell them you what were monkeying with. They'll fix it easier if they know what you were playing with.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:44 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,484 Posts
I'm sure they'll never admit it, but it's possible that if the guys at Horizon Hobby are reading this thread, they're learning something. They might have been telling the truth when they said they didn't know.

On the other hand, this could be proprietary information that was kept secret to prevent importing those radios from other countries and reprogramming them for other stick modes, or maybe to prevent enabling some other features that they only wanted to make available in certain markets.

Secrets like these are always discovered and eventually made public. It look like Gst13xp gets the credit for this one.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:57 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
One of them is the "brick my radio" command. Be careful that you don't find it.

Andy
Hahahahaha

I almost spit up my Cheerios when I read that.
akschu is offline Find More Posts by akschu
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:36 PM
Joined Jun 2011
4 Posts
Stick vs trim buttons

Look, I'm a newbie but I am right at the exasperating point in the manual for the DX5e that describes the question you raised initially. On page 6 of this manual there is a picture of the control sticks and trim buttons. The manual says in order to turn on dsmx "hold the trainer switch and push and hold the elevator trim button forward". In the picture below this it shows moving the aileron stick to the left, the throttle stick to 4:30 on the clock and does nothing with the trim buttons. Are they actually talking about the sticks or the trim buttons? So do I go by the description or by the picture which seems to have nothing to do with the description? The entire manual seems to be in need of some serious clarification but a response to this first question would be helpful. I'm also looking for a step by step description of setting up the DX5e/ar7000 for flight. I'm envious of all of you who are past this befuddlement. Thanks for your help.
btwilson is offline Find More Posts by btwilson
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:05 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btwilson View Post
Look, I'm a newbie but I am right at the exasperating point in the manual for the DX5e that describes the question you raised initially. On page 6 of this manual there is a picture of the control sticks and trim buttons. The manual says in order to turn on dsmx "hold the trainer switch and push and hold the elevator trim button forward". In the picture below this it shows moving the aileron stick to the left, the throttle stick to 4:30 on the clock and does nothing with the trim buttons. Are they actually talking about the sticks or the trim buttons? So do I go by the description or by the picture which seems to have nothing to do with the description? The entire manual seems to be in need of some serious clarification but a response to this first question would be helpful. I'm also looking for a step by step description of setting up the DX5e/ar7000 for flight. I'm envious of all of you who are past this befuddlement. Thanks for your help.
Are we looking at the same manual? I have the version from Horizon Hobby for the DSMX version of the DX5e:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...-Manual_EN.pdf

The picture at the bottom of the first column on page 6 shows exactly what the words say: the trainer switch is pulled and the elevator trim is pushed to set the Tx on DSMX. The aileron stick is not touched.

The diagram at the top of column 2 shows pulling the trainer switch and pulling the elevator trim to set it on DSM2. Again, no sign of moving the sticks.

But all this is irrelevant, since, as the text explains, in the default setup the transmitter can bind with both DSM2 and DSMX receivers. So you should not do it with any normal receiver, including specifically the AR7000, which you mention.

I'm not sure what you are looking for by way of advice on setting up the AR7000 with the DX5e. It's a slightly unusual arrangement, since you would normally use a less expensive five or six channel receiver with the very basic DX5e. But there's no reason it won't work, giving you control of throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder and gear. Incidentally, the AR7000 is a DSM2 receiver, the new AR7010 is the DSMX version.

So tell us what the problem is and someone should be able to help.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66