Old Nov 10, 2011, 07:20 PM
Joined Nov 2008
87 Posts
Yes, The Strega !!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron View Post
Sorry Ron, I meant Roland.........you're not the only "OldGuy"

Anything new Roland?

We have the Strega in stock, Mike is working on a build thread. And we are working on getting up on the web. Same size as Rare Bear, colors red or green.
R.Murphy is offline Find More Posts by R.Murphy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2011, 09:16 AM
United States, PA, Ephrata
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
Here's a link to the Strega. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1543381

Flies just as slow and stable as the Rarebear, but seems more aerobatic.

Mike
bikeman is offline Find More Posts by bikeman
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:36 PM
Crash Test Engineer
United States, MN, Maple Grove
Joined Nov 2011
100 Posts
Hey Rare Bear enthusiasts,

My son and I are working on assembly of this plane this weekend. He got it for Xmas and we are just getting to building it now.

Really appreciate this build thread and the one done by Daoldguy...

We are both pretty new to this hobby, so we are certain we are going to knock this plane around a bit...As such, we are thinking about protecting the leading edge of the wing. We have seen one option of using Goop on the LE. Would this add too much weight? Would tape be better? Other approaches you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any advice you provide.
RC Dad is online now Find More Posts by RC Dad
Last edited by RC Dad; Feb 12, 2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:47 AM
Account closed - user passed away
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
Hey Rare Bear enthusiasts,

My son and I are working on assembly of this plane this weekend. He got it for Xmas and we are just getting to building it now.

Really appreciate this build thread and the one done by Daoldguy...

We are both pretty new to this hobby, so we are certain we are going to knock this plane around a bit...As such, we are thinking about protecting the leading edge of the wing. We have seen one option of using Goop on the LE. Would this add too much weight? Would tape be better? Other approaches you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any advice you provide.
Congratulations, you'll love the way this plane flies.

IMHO, I don't think anything is needed to protect the leading edge of the wing, I've not done this on any of the EPP planes I have and I have a lot of them. EPP is pretty forgiving

If you really feel the need though, I would just use some of the filament strapping tape. This sticks pretty well to the EPP but I usually use some of the 3M-77 spray adhesive to make it stick a little better.

Mike
Patron is offline Find More Posts by Patron
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:15 AM
Crash Test Engineer
Joined Nov 2011
100 Posts
Ok, I have another Rare Bear build question. I was wondering if anyone has not glued in the wings on there model. As we are new, and I anticipate crashing, I would like to keep the wings removable. I have used tape and 3M's Dual Lock on my Bixler to keep the wings in place yet removable. I am concerned that the tape won't hold well on the EPP.

Anyone have ideas on how to keep the wings removable?

Thanks in advance!

RC Dad
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:00 AM
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
Ok, I have another Rare Bear build question. I was wondering if anyone has not glued in the wings on there model. As we are new, and I anticipate crashing, I would like to keep the wings removable. I have used tape and 3M's Dual Lock on my Bixler to keep the wings in place yet removable. I am concerned that the tape won't hold well on the EPP.

Anyone have ideas on how to keep the wings removable?

Thanks in advance!

RC Dad
RC Dad,

I don't think you could get any type of tape to stick on the EPP well enough to hold the wing in place. I've never done it but rare earth magnets might work if you could embed some in the wing and fuse....just a thought.

I have a lot of EPP planes in this size and IMHO, gluing the wing in as per the instructions shouldn't be a problem even in a crash.

I'm by no means an expert pilot and therefore am pretty familiar with crashes and EPP. EPP will withstand a pretty good impact, and on bad landings or landings on grass, I've had some pretty good cartwheels with no damage at all. On the other hand, I've had some pretty spectacular crashes as well. EPP, when it breaks, will break cleanly enough that it can be simply glued back together.

I wouldn't worry too much about the wing, glue it in and go fly. If you crash, glue everything back together and go fly again. That's the beauty of EPP.

Mike
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:33 AM
Crash Test Engineer
Joined Nov 2011
100 Posts
Thanks Patron!

I will probably just glue them in. Will noodle on it as we continue to complete the build (world's longest build at this point). If I have any great ideas, will post back for reference.

It's my son's plane so I am trying to work with him on building it. He is so busy with school and Scouts that we never get any time to work on it.

Been 70+ degrees all week here in MN - I am anxious to get this in the air.

Thanks again!

RC Dad
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:53 AM
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
I don't think you'll have any trouble. The RB is a very nice flying airplane, it can fly very slow and is almost impossible to stall. Set it up with some low rates at first and you'll be pleasantly surprised how well it flys.

Mike
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:10 PM
Thatsright I drankthe rum
USA, MN, Robbinsdale
Joined May 2006
1,304 Posts
buddy box

Hey rc dad
found the thread you spoke of ...
well I just assisted Rcdad and son fly his RB wow nice plane
he did a bang up job on it too
we put 3-4 packs thru it yesterday
I got to fly it and then put his son on the buddy box ...and him
I think we all know how this works out ... in about 3 more flying sessions the son will surpass the dad in flying ... or already has .
nice people and lots of fun flying ....having not even seen the vids of this bird I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it fly's and at just how aerobatic it is
I wish I would have tried to do a hover now that I have seen the vids
but it was all new to us yesterday and was being careful. if your on the fence
don't be... it fly's like a big plane should and behaves like a flat foam flyer only better
...see ya around RCDad
K9000wner is offline Find More Posts by K9000wner
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:57 PM
Crash Test Engineer
Joined Nov 2011
100 Posts
Thanks K9000wner. We had a blast. Looking forward to getting out flying with you soon.

Thanks to Bikeman, Patron and DaOld guy for all the info you have posted on this plane and for answering my various questions. We love the plane. My oldest son keeps saying how this is his favorite plane so far. He is now asking me to take him flying with it. Love to see his renewed enthusiasm for the hobby.

Not sure if we have any good video from this weekend, but if we do, we'll get it up here to show it off.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:59 AM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
532 Posts
Bump for the bear!

Maiden flight this week went perfectly! So stable and fun to fly!

Thanks for producing such a great plane!
wayfaringdreamer is online now Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer