HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:36 AM
Saline, MI
Joined Jul 2006
300 Posts
Using the eLooger V3 directions for altimiter & airspeed sensors works fine, since the connections are the same. The altimeter needs a source of Static Pressure, so it is connected via a "t" to the pitot tube's static port, which does not experience "ram" effects.
dhares is offline Find More Posts by dhares
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:33 PM
Bolingbrook, IL
Joined Jan 2009
135 Posts
There is still the question of where to connect static pressure tubing on altimeter!
Wise_Man is offline Find More Posts by Wise_Man
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:20 AM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise_Man View Post
There is still the question of where to connect static pressure tubing on altimeter!
If you look at the installation instructions that came with the altimeter or the online instructions there is a picture of how to connect both tubes. The pressure tube goes to the + port and the static to the - port.Durrr, ALTIMETER.

That configuration is apparently only valid if using the Data Recorder since it appears there is no port on the Stand Alone Altimeter.

Rob
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Last edited by camship; Nov 14, 2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:00 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camship View Post
If you look at the installation instructions that came with the altimeter or the online instructions there is a picture of how to connect both tubes. The pressure tube goes to the + port and the static to the - port.Durrr, ALTIMETER.

That configuration is apparently only valid if using the Data Recorder since it appears there is no port on the Stand Alone Altimeter.

Rob
Another swing&amiss!!
That suggests there's 2 separate modules for StandAlone use and Recorder use. There is only one Altimeter module (not counting firmware versions) and it's used for either setup.

And the point remains - not only is there no visible place to attach a hose in the one picture in its manual, there's also not a single word about hosing nor attaching one in the instructions. Too, no hose in its parts list.

Besides, AFAIK altimeters don't work as suggested by hose hookups anyhow - they work off static barometric pressure (weight of the atmosphere on an internal 'drum') and its accuracy would be affected by anything disturbing the air around it. 'Static' pressure means de facto pressure surrounding the sensor, without any outside influence - hence the warning "If your airframe uses a “ram-air” intake into its cockpit area for cooling or other purposes, the pressure increase can cause a slightly lower reported altitude. To mitigate this, do not expose the Altimeter V4 to direct airflow or place it in a “ram-air” chamber."

I'm happy with the answers I got for my first 2 parts here, but think this question is best left to the expert so, Master Billpa, please???
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:26 AM
Saline, MI
Joined Jul 2006
300 Posts
It appears that when ET came out with the altimiter V4, which uses a different sensor to measure presure, they eliminated the pressure port. I'm guessing that's going to prove to be a bad move. I'm a real stickler for measurement accuracy and I also fly electrics. My planes have airflow throughout the fuselage, so the v4 is going to be a step back for me. Back when the airspeed sensors didn't have a static port, I would put them in a perscription pill container inside the plane. I put a hole in the cap for wires and a small brass tube that would attach to a pitot tube's static port, and sealed it all with silicon. That was the only way I could come up with to get good static pressure.

If you're wondering why pitot tubes yeild reliable static pressure, there are several good articles on line if you google pitot tubes. One of my favorites is here: http://www.efunda.com/designstandard...bes_theory.cfm
dhares is offline Find More Posts by dhares
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:01 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,920 Posts
Hi, in my experience, pressure variations in most cockpits have little effect on the actual altimeter readings. This is not true for airspeed, due to the much greater sensitivity of the sensor.

A way to validate this is to fly level (perhaps on the runway) and look for changes in altitude with the model traveling at different speeds, but at the same elevation.

The improvements in resolution, drift, filtering, and other improvements in the Altimeter V4 will far outweigh the potential error due to cockpit pressure variations IMO. However, if there are cases of the altitude readings varying significantly, it is relatively simple to seal both ends of the V4 with silicon after inserting a rigid tube (something like the ink tube inside of a ballpoint pen) and connecting that to a static source.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:50 AM
Joined Jul 2008
35 Posts
Physical packaging

Hi,

I found that Eagletree has the most comprehensive features.
BUT

The fact that the current sensor is on the main board of the elogger is really annoying when you install it for fpv. It is really annoying when wiring because it is relatively big and you have to keep access to usb for downloading.

I would like to see a unit with remote current sensors.
I understant that this way it will need power from the batterie backup cable.

Regards

Michel
michelcote is offline Find More Posts by michelcote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 01:43 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,920 Posts
Hi Michel,

Thanks for this feedback! We are investigating some options.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 06, 2011, 03:34 AM
kalps
Joined Jan 2008
37 Posts
i have a question, kindly help. I am very new with FPV. I scored a deal on ebay and got elogger v4, lcd, sensors, gps. Didnt get a OSD Pro, do i requite it?

Thanks
kalps is offline Find More Posts by kalps
Old Dec 07, 2011, 09:29 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,920 Posts
Hi, yes, you also need the OSD Pro board for OSD display (sounds like you've got everything else).
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 11, 2011, 05:23 PM
Joined Sep 2011
256 Posts
Whats the max wattage the Elogger can handle. Was it 70volts and 100amp? 7000? The one with t connector/deans. V4
zkilzz is offline Find More Posts by zkilzz
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:56 PM
United States, MN, Chaska
Joined Sep 2011
526 Posts
So if I buy the Elogger I will also need to buy the OSD pro so I can view my heli or plane stats from the ground while its flying high up in the air?
drcigg is offline Find More Posts by drcigg
Last edited by drcigg; Jan 06, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:35 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcigg View Post
So if I buy the Elogger I will also need to buy the OSD pro so I can view my heli or plane stats from the ground while its flying high up in the air?
Well you need to buy the OSD if you would like to view your telemetry data on your video screen (assuming you have a video downlink). But this is generally the case for FPV flying. If you are not doing FPV, then getting an OSP pro is useless because you would still need a way of transmitting that data down somehow. That means a video downlink So if this is the case, you would be looking into getting a Seagull wireless upgrade for your elogger (only for V4 not for V3). Seagull upgrade will downlink your data...
If you don't get any of these options, you can only record your data and view it after your flight...

So in short, elogger logs/stores your data. It has nothing to do with downlinking it. Downlink your data requires different equipment...
iskoos is offline Find More Posts by iskoos
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:38 AM
United States, MN, Chaska
Joined Sep 2011
526 Posts
Thank you for the clarification.
drcigg is offline Find More Posts by drcigg
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:19 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
431 Posts
V4 Voltage Regulator vs V3 Voltage Regulator

Hi I finally got my elogger V4. There was only one reason why I got the V4 and that was the improved voltage regulator. Of course that was what was said and I didn't get to test it till I got mine. Here is what I found out:

With the elogger V3, the on board voltage regulator started becoming an issue for me when I started adding new sensors to my ET system. I am always running 10s flight packs and higher voltage is no good for the tiny on-board regulator. Previously with V3, things were fine till I added the GPS. GPS sucks lots of juice. With the addition of GPS to my system (elogger V3, OSD pro, V3 Altimeter, temp sensor, LCD power Panel), I had to use backup power (even though my OSD pro was connected to my Rx). Using a backup power (directly from the Rx) is a mess because if you do not power up your equipment in a certain order and within 5 seconds, your voltage calibration will be thrown off by as much as 2-3 volts (based on 10s packs). And furthermore, your backup power must be 5.0 volts. I had hell with it. And most of the time, I was unpluggin the GPS unit just to avoid using the backup power so I could have reliable voltage readings.
Later, I downsized my system and removed the OSD pro and the V3 altimeter sensor. I had only elogger V3, LCD power panel, temp sensor and a GPS. I thought with the removal of OSD and altimeter sensor, I could (maybe) avoid the backup power. I was wrong!.. I still needed a backup power because the problem mostly was the GPS expander not the OSD pro as OSD pro draws its power mostly from the Rx anyways. So I kept using the backup power but soon realized I still had brown outs. Upon doing some more test, I figured out even the backup power wasn't enough to supply my downsized system. So I was unable to run my GPS with a 10s flight pack no matter what I did.

Now what changed with the V4!.. If I want to run my complete system (including the OSD pro and the GPS), everything seems to work w/o the backup power.
On my downsized system (just elogger V4, LCD power panel, GPS and temp sensor), I can reliably run everything w/o the need for the backup power as well. So the voltage regulator is definitley improved. I removed my backup power harness and now have more reliable voltage readings...
If you are using smaller flight packs like 4s or smaller, you may even eliminate wiring your OSD pro to your Rx. This means just the flight pack may power everything...
iskoos is offline Find More Posts by iskoos