HellHathNoFury is offline Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2014, 02:42 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford View Post
BM3 and I had a jet day........

Nice gathering of the eagles. Don't suppose you ever run out of runway there.
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Jul 25, 2014, 02:24 AM
Turkey, Ankara
Joined Jun 2010
91 Posts
help

After more than 60 flights (flied like stolen) on it (1st v) my stock fan went away while taxiing. Can hear at the very end.
F18 90edf (3 min 46 sec)

Actually I was happy with the stock fan. Do you recommend me to change it with new 12 bladed metal one?

Secondly, after about 20 flight, one of the mains never closed while they are operating one by one. I tried lots of things but never able to solve the problem? What would be reason?

And lastly, I want to change the color scheme like Canadian's Tiger meet. But I can not find more photos of this scheme. Any photos?
selšuk is offline Find More Posts by selšuk
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:30 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,846 Posts
the 12 blade is not metal. nice jet
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Today, 07:47 AM
"My grandma wants to fly jets"
Richmond, VA
Joined Feb 2008
463 Posts
Hot ESC limit power?

Can a hot ESC limit the power?

I taxied my stock hornet for a couple of minutes last week (88 deg F) tweaking my nose wheel steering and then took directly to the air. I stayed in the pattern with the gear down doing low approaches or touch-n-goes. On my third go around I had to had more power (75%) than usual (50%). On the fourth one I had to add 80% so I brought her in for a landing. The ESC was quite hot which I'm guessing is the problem. I believe the battery (Gensace 6s 3700 35c) to be healthy (low internal resistance all below 6) and still had plenty of juice when put it on the charger (3.95v per cell). Was it the taxiing time that got it hot? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Charlie
heychas is online now Find More Posts by heychas
Old Today, 08:37 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,935 Posts
ESC's operate most efficiently at full throttle - more power is lost as heat at lower throttle settings.

Sounds like your main problem is insufficient airflow around the ESC.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Today, 08:59 AM
Scale Jet Driver
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jul 2012
627 Posts
I cut a vent at the bottom of the fuse at the forward end of the battery area and that lowered the ESC temp by 10-15 degrees.
Rangerfan is offline Find More Posts by Rangerfan
Old Today, 09:26 AM
"My grandma wants to fly jets"
Richmond, VA
Joined Feb 2008
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
ESC's operate most efficiently at full throttle - more power is lost as heat at lower throttle settings.

Sounds like your main problem is insufficient airflow around the ESC.
Thanks Fred and Rangerfan! I have seen ESCs get hot when not flying so maybe the taxing and tweaking the nose gear heated it up. If I recall the ESC is mounted fairly close in front of the fan and in the airflow so I was thinking it was getting air while flying at least. When I get home I'll take a look at Rangerfan's suggestion of creating an extra cooling hole.

Thanks!
C.
heychas is online now Find More Posts by heychas