Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 01, 2010, 03:24 PM
free flight or micro RC ???
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined May 2006
459 Posts
Build Log
1/20 scale d.H 9 in greek service

I had difficulty chosing the right forum to post this, finally I setlled for this one.

The model in question is rather small, at 1/20 scale... So it could fit in the indoor-micro forum.

It is also going to double as an indoor free flight model, as well as 4-ch RC. So, it could also fit in the free flight forum. Especially since it started out as a CO2 model, before transforming to electric...

But since its main character is scale and electric, I found it more fitting to post here...

So, what we have is a 1/20 scale model of a greek naval aviation airplane that flew in the Asia Minor campaign during 1919.

Projected weight is less than 60-65 grams, which should give slow filghts, mainly for indoor use...

The model is slowly close to completion, but it was started more than 10 years ago...

Following pictures were taken 4 years ago...
g_kandylakis is offline Find More Posts by g_kandylakis
Last edited by g_kandylakis; Jul 05, 2010 at 11:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2010, 03:26 PM
Joined May 2006
459 Posts
Here are some more pictures, this time of the semi-covered model, again from 2006...
Old Jul 01, 2010, 03:31 PM
Joined May 2006
459 Posts
After a brake of a couple of years to work on some other models ( a common practice of mine), I continued with it last year, starting with the most demanding actions of painting.

Contrary to most greek aircraft of the period, and probably unique as a d.H.9, this one had a complicated camouflage scheme, with a combination of PC10 and Battleship gray. Coupled with greek insignia, this results in a rather colorful plane...
Last edited by g_kandylakis; Jul 01, 2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2010, 03:34 PM
Joined May 2006
459 Posts
And here is the mosr recent progress, with the fuselage painted and the start of detailing.

Still a lot to be done, but hopefully it should be finished by fall...

More pictures will follow when there is some progress to show...
Old Jul 01, 2010, 03:41 PM
Fly, dangit!!!
Little Rock, AR USA
Joined Jan 2007
1,049 Posts
Wow, that is some top notch work, especially considering the size. I've been partly hiding behind the small size of my models as an excuse not to include a lot of scale detail. You've really upped the ante with this one! It's a lovely ship, I love the detail on the wing ribs.

J. B.
Led Zepplin is offline Find More Posts by Led Zepplin
Old Jul 02, 2010, 03:25 AM
Czech republic, Brno
Joined Oct 2004
156 Posts
Hi George

wonderful 1:20 scale, but tell us, it will be free flight indoor scale or small RC model? In mine case I prefere RC scale
felda is offline Find More Posts by felda
Old Jul 02, 2010, 04:45 AM
Joined May 2006
459 Posts
L.Z. thanks for the comments... It is indeed a bit overdone, for a model of this size... But I had to do it...

Hi Pavel,

in this case it is both actually...

I can switch from RC to FF and vice versa, depending on where I plug the battery.

Most of the time it will be RC of course, but first I intend to fly it as F4E at Interscale.

Trimming will be radio-assist.

George
Old Jul 02, 2010, 02:23 PM
Fly, dangit!!!
Little Rock, AR USA
Joined Jan 2007
1,049 Posts
No way! I wouldn't say overdone, I'd call it just right! I hope she flies well for you!

J. B.

p.s. How are you going to make it both RC and free flight? Also, what is the wing span?
Last edited by Led Zepplin; Jul 02, 2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Forgot to ask...
Old Jul 04, 2010, 04:52 PM
Joined May 2006
459 Posts
After a two day absence, here is my late reply...

Wing span is 646mm (25,4")

Power is a Gasparin brushless motor.

As for the dual purpose, the model is equiped with a Zombie timer and a Parkzone AR6400 Rx.

RC installation is pretty simple (after receiving advice from RC Groups members...) Battery to ESC, ESC to motor and to RX, 4ch operation...

But, If I plug the ESC to the timer, the models flies FF (Controls locked to a specific position), timer powers the motor.

For trimming I can power the RX through a separate battery and have movement controls so that I can avoid a major disaster...

Thanks for the comments and the wish... I hope so too...

George
Last edited by g_kandylakis; Jul 05, 2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2010, 09:09 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,230 Posts
Superb detail! I am very much impressed by your fine work!

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Jul 23, 2010, 06:05 AM
Joined May 2006
459 Posts
some more progress, still very slow...

Pilot seat and cockpit instrument panel finished. But I am having enough with these "static display" details, time to move on with the actual flying model...

George
Old Jul 23, 2010, 07:48 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,246 Posts
Okay, George, I have to ask. How on earth did you make that wicker pilot's seat? I just can't figure that one out. Your detailing is phenomenal, better than most plastic kits.

Beautiful build,
Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:32 AM
Fly, dangit!!!
Little Rock, AR USA
Joined Jan 2007
1,049 Posts
Absolutely wonderful! Indeed, that seat is awesome. I also love the 'worn' effect on the Vickers gun. Thanks for sharing.

J. B.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:42 PM
Joined May 2006
459 Posts
Thanks for the kind words...

Jeff,
the only way I could get the result I wanted, was to copy the original... So I made my own wicker weaving, using thin thread.

On a piece of balsa I stuck 2 pins spaced approx 3cm and repeated them in an array (approx 20 times), spaced 3 mm between each pair. Then I wound the thread to each pair (what you see as vertical members in the seat.)

Next, the fun part (), alternating top and bottom at each thread, I passed pieces of thread in the other direction (horizontal)... It took a few hours.... After I had the density I wanted, I run some thinned dope to hold everything in place. After dry and removing from the pins, the flat piece was formed on a balsa seat plug, then glued to the seat base, then the perimeter was cut... Leather at the back is actually normal paper, glued on and painted...

I hope you get the general picture, even with this short description... And that you don't get the wrong idea about me I AM sane...

George
Old Jul 23, 2010, 07:50 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_kandylakis View Post
Thanks for the kind words...

Jeff,
the only way I could get the result I wanted, was to copy the original... So I made my own wicker weaving, using thin thread.

On a piece of balsa I stuck 2 pins spaced approx 3cm and repeated them in an array (approx 20 times), spaced 3 mm between each pair. Then I wound the thread to each pair (what you see as vertical members in the seat.)

Next, the fun part (), alternating top and bottom at each thread, I passed pieces of thread in the other direction (horizontal)... It took a few hours.... After I had the density I wanted, I run some thinned dope to hold everything in place. After dry and removing from the pins, the flat piece was formed on a balsa seat plug, then glued to the seat base, then the perimeter was cut... Leather at the back is actually normal paper, glued on and painted...

I hope you get the general picture, even with this short description... And that you don't get the wrong idea about me I AM sane...

George
Way clever, and I found that description perfectly adequate! I shall remember that technique, as I'd like to build a nice Curtiss Robin someday, and a wicker seat is appropriate there as well!

James
Deuce is online now Find More Posts by Deuce