Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 07, 2009, 05:58 PM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,560 Posts
Discussion
Aztlan - Flying wing Atto IMU

Aztlan is a 54" span flying wing with an area of 4.5 sq ft and weight with camera and AttoPilot of 48 ounces.

First Atto flights today. 63 Kph cruise at 7 Amps, 80 Kph max.

Atto was used right out of the box with no setting changes. Used a single point for loiter circle. So far it looks good.
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Last edited by Tom Harper; Apr 03, 2010 at 12:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2009, 06:33 PM
Asker, Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
421 Posts
Tom, is that plane a scratch build?
The pattern seemes to be quite similar to the one Gary Mortimer posted after his first flight with his new flying wing with an Atto v1.8 inside. Nice and tidy, but aparently with a slight flattening or disturbance in the top(?).

(Having a hard time figuring how those flying wings can be controlled, never seen them in action yet).

Look forward to see more posts about it.

Cheers,

brakar
brakar is offline Find More Posts by brakar
Old Nov 07, 2009, 07:20 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Congrats, Tom!

What motor/prop are you using?

Jimmy
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
Old Nov 07, 2009, 08:08 PM
Joined Jul 2008
264 Posts
Tom I believed you mentioned at one point that you were waiting on Atto 3.0for this flying wing, is this what you are flying with? I see no thermopile head on the plane.

Really good looking, are you going to cover it or seal the wood some how?
Mecha is offline Find More Posts by Mecha
Old Nov 07, 2009, 08:57 PM
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,560 Posts
Thanks for the comments

It's a scratch built - MH60 root section with an Eppler symmetrical at the tips. The covering is 1/32" balsa bonded to silkspan with 3 coats of water based Polycrylic. The motor is a MicroDan with an 8d 6p prop.

I was going to use the Atto IMU but don't have one yet. Maybe soon. So, I installed a new v1.8. I cheated on the photos - they were pre-sensor installation. Maybe I can get some better ones tomorrow.

It has a very short tricycle landing gear with a steerable nose wheel. Really neat but the prop is so low that it eats a lot of dirt.

Tom
Old Nov 08, 2009, 03:07 PM
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,560 Posts
Racetrack pattern today

Second flying day. Flew 2 circuits of a racetrack then let it circle to check the battery duration (photo 3).

Aztlan has a pair of Heads Up RC 1300 3s Lipos for a total of 2600 mah. I set the power threshold for 2000 mah. I assumed it would abort the circle and head for the launch point when the batteries ran down. It never got there. At 1430 mah (11 minutes) it could barely stay aloft.

I believe Heads Up RC is a good vendor and has great bargains for sport flyers, but for this activity it's got to be Hyperions. They are worth the $$$. Gotta place an order today.

It's time to start tuning, but first the landing gear has to be modified. Take offs are hazardous. The prop sucks up rocks and dirt with bad results.

Minor mods - should be in better shape next week.

Tom
Old Nov 08, 2009, 03:20 PM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
Good work Tom. How cool is it there now?
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Old Nov 08, 2009, 05:21 PM
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,560 Posts
23 degrees C with 1.2 Kph winds
Old Nov 08, 2009, 07:47 PM
RCAPA #14
United States, TX, Wimberley
Joined Mar 2004
1,915 Posts
some wings

Brakar,

There is no magic in making a flying wing fly well.. One of the biggest keys is making sure its not tail heavy. We (RP FLightSystems and RP Search Services) have been using them extensively for SAR and Community Service for many years now...

Myron
Myron is offline Find More Posts by Myron
Old Nov 09, 2009, 02:01 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,778 Posts
Well done Tom, wings work too easily with the Atto, its like your cheating.
Gary Mortimer is online now Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Nov 09, 2009, 07:16 AM
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,560 Posts
Yep, hee-hee
Old Nov 09, 2009, 07:21 AM
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,560 Posts
Myron,

Neat wings!

What is your wing loading, cruise speed and current?

Tom
Old Nov 09, 2009, 08:42 PM
RCAPA #14
United States, TX, Wimberley
Joined Mar 2004
1,915 Posts
Thanks Tom!

We have our base config which is the "Spectra". Its typical config is a 48" wingspan and an AUW of 4lbs which includes the video or still system. Typical motor is an outrunner pulling about 12 amps at cruize which is around 35MPH. I think the wing loading is around 18oz/in. depending on config.
As you can see we do alot of custom "one off" stuff to meet requirements which have ranged from carrying met probes to minature loudspeakers. We have done alot of flying with the atto and it works great. We have flown several other autopilots but we like the the atto the best.

One thing we have discovered over the years is that if you dont like the way your wing flies, ADD MORE WEIGHT!!!.. Yeah, sounds crazy, but the heavier it is the more stable it is as long as you dont stall it, and if its balanced properly all it does is porpise a little.

Here is a link to one of my first wing projects called the "HAVEBLUE" same basic design as yours only it was a foamy..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ue#post2487373
Myron is offline Find More Posts by Myron
Old Nov 09, 2009, 09:52 PM
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,560 Posts
Thanks for the info. The weight issue is interesting. I just added a couple of ounces by increasing the landing gear size. Still at around 11 ounces per sq ft with camera, but growing.

Tom
Old Nov 10, 2009, 01:55 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,778 Posts
I wonder how much drag your gear is adding Tom?? I have never added gear to a wing, we just made our centre section thicker to stop prop damage and allow more room for my fat fingers and cameras.

With a foam wing you get used to grabbing it by a tip and chucking it almost discus style, guess you cant do that with a built up construction.

Looking forward to trail photos!
Gary Mortimer is online now Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer