SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 25, 2008, 06:16 PM
Dreaming Weasel Dreams
Tucson, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
433 Posts
Discussion
Electronics suggestion for a Chunky (Slope) Monkey?

I haven't built it yet, in fact I just ordered it today, but soon I'll be the proud owner of a new 1.9# slope monkey (www.wyowindworks.com, i think) and I also ordered the heavier 10mil New Stuff to cover it with. I believe the website recommends 9g servos and a 6ch micro receiver, but does anyone have specific recommendations? On my Weasel-Pro I went for the gusto with HS-85MG's and a Polk Seeker-6, but I'm hoping to spend a little less on the flight electronics for my monkey. I expect it to come out on the chunky side since I selected heavy foam and heavy covering material, and I'm a newbie builder to boot. I'm guessing the difference between a 9.5oz and a 13oz monkey won't really affect servo selection though?

thanks,
Rick
Rick Lindsey is offline Find More Posts by Rick Lindsey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2008, 03:02 AM
The sky is my playground
Near the Ocean in Hunt. Beach Calif.
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
I just finished my 13 ounce Slope Monkey and will give a flying report tomorrow night Hope this thing flies!! Jimmi in Hunt. Beach
flyboyjimi is offline Find More Posts by flyboyjimi
Old Jul 28, 2008, 05:26 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Rick, I've been using these little things in my Slope Monkeys: Hextronik 900.

I've yet to strip one. I know of over 10 people that are using them in Slope Monkeys.

The Slope Monkey isn't worth expensive servos, IMO.

Adam
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Jul 28, 2008, 05:52 PM
The sky is my playground
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
I think the ones im using are Hextronic from Hobbycity? they work fine. The brand name is IND LAB and they are cheap but made good. ADAM, I put some (very little) spackle on the back of the fuse to smooth out some of the smaller bumps and ended up putting two or more ounces of weight on the nose I have it taped on temporarily for now but I needed that much to get it at two inches for the CG Would you suggest trying to make it work with what I got or try to shape a new fuse without the added boom weight out of a spare piece of blue foam or maybe buy another fuse from you if you sell them? I got it to fly but it was still too tail heavy to fly good ,and by the time I added the weight to make it two inch Cg, I didnt test it anymore. Do you think fifteen or sixteen ounces is too much for the wingspan or have you tested anything heavier than eight to thirteen ounces? Curious George (monkey reference) in H.B. Thanks for any help you can give me> jimmi
Old Jul 28, 2008, 06:23 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Jimmi, 13 ounces is the heaviest one I have ever personally flown. I'd just add a bit more lead to the nose and see what happens. The wing should be fine going heavier. The airfoil should perform well at higher wing loadings also......you'll just be sacrificing the light lift performance. I've actually been wanting to do a 15 ounce one just for DSing.

One other disadvantage to the heavier weights is they hit the ground harder. My last 9.5 ounce one wacked in pretty hard DSing and was unharmed.

If you feel like you'd like a new fuse, I could hook you up nice and cheap.

Adam
Old Jul 28, 2008, 09:45 PM
The sky is my playground
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
Thank you Adam You have been helpful all throughout this whole deal Im one of the guys my friend bought four or five monkeys for and you were great to deal with then. I will let thid thread know how it goes with the extra nose weight for the Cg to be 1 7/8 to two inches Thanks again Will be in touch BTW Great little plane and not that hard to build!! I am recommending them to all my friends as a pocket model to throw in the car and have just in case!!!
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:05 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
If you end up building another one, I'd really recommend doing the 5 mil New Stuff on the wing. My last one came out at 9.5 ounces and is the strongest, toughest, lightest one yet.

Adam
Old Aug 01, 2008, 07:12 PM
Dreaming Weasel Dreams
Tucson, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
433 Posts
Are there directions anywhere for covering with the new stuff? I wanted tough, since I'm still a novice flyer, so I ordered the 1.9# monkey and the 10mil new stuff. I picked up some sharpies today to decorate the foam before covering it... I've heard of that technique for the alula, and am assuming it will work for a monkey with new stuff?

Also, one of my wings has a sort of bend in it... I'm assuming it got warped by the lovely arizona heat. Presumably when I install the spars and cover that will get flattened out nicely?

thanks!

-Rick (slope newbie, waiting anxiously for his weasel to arrive on the truck next week, and looking forward to the monkey build)
Old Aug 02, 2008, 04:52 AM
Queensland, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
134 Posts
Not sure but I thought I'd read something about the film not sticking as well when the foam has been coloured with pen or painted prior to covering???
vanders is offline Find More Posts by vanders
Old Aug 02, 2008, 11:01 AM
Dreaming Weasel Dreams
Tucson, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanders
Not sure but I thought I'd read something about the film not sticking as well when the foam has been coloured with pen or painted prior to covering???
Could be, I would certainly expect paint to affect adhesion, I thought maybe ink would be different though. Hopefully someone has tried .

I could always sharpie after the fact I suppose, or since it's going to be chunky anyways break down and get some red sign vinyl. I was hoping to get the ink under the covering though so it wouldn't rub off when I land on the rocks or in the bushes/trees. A-Mountain is not known for it's kind landing sites

-Rick
Old Aug 02, 2008, 05:10 PM
__Jackass Savant__
United States, CA, Oxnard
Joined Feb 2005
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanders
The main noted problem is it doesn't stick to molded EPP well without a goop layer.
theBOZman is offline Find More Posts by theBOZman
Old Aug 02, 2008, 06:23 PM
Queensland, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
134 Posts
What a few guys here in Oz are doing is using signwriters vinyl over the laminating film. Sticks really well & you can get fluro colours for wing tips etc. Any signwriter usually has offcuts laying around for next to nothing.
vanders is offline Find More Posts by vanders
Old Aug 02, 2008, 10:03 PM
Dreaming Weasel Dreams
Tucson, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowindworks
Rick, I've been using these little things in my Slope Monkeys: Hextronik 900.

I've yet to strip one. I know of over 10 people that are using them in Slope Monkeys.

The Slope Monkey isn't worth expensive servos, IMO.

Adam
Wowzers, them's some cheap servos! I think I'll have to pick up an extra servo or three... and some 5g's while I'm at it (I'm pondering a duskstick for backyard flying, and I think the 5g's should work good with it). I didn't see a 6ch micro rx with straight pins at that site... will the vertical pins on the GWS naro work out ok with the monkey, or should I shop elsewhere for a receiver?

thanks,
Rick
Old Aug 03, 2008, 06:53 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lindsey
Also, one of my wings has a sort of bend in it... I'm assuming it got warped by the lovely arizona heat. Presumably when I install the spars and cover that will get flattened out nicely?

thanks!

-Rick (slope newbie, waiting anxiously for his weasel to arrive on the truck next week, and looking forward to the monkey build)
Rick, the wing will flatten out once the spar is properly installed. Make sure you weight the wing into the bottom wing bed when you CA the spar in. Don't skimp on the thin CA. Make sure that you really soak it.

Adam
Old Aug 03, 2008, 06:58 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lindsey
Wowzers, them's some cheap servos! I think I'll have to pick up an extra servo or three... and some 5g's while I'm at it (I'm pondering a duskstick for backyard flying, and I think the 5g's should work good with it). I didn't see a 6ch micro rx with straight pins at that site... will the vertical pins on the GWS naro work out ok with the monkey, or should I shop elsewhere for a receiver?

thanks,
Rick
Rick, I'd look for a receiver that has horizontal pins. This receiver works well: Hitec O5S. The fifth channel is the 6th channel so it works well. Also several people have been using the 6 channel Coronas.

Adam