SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:25 PM
Joined Jun 2012
79 Posts
Discussion
Retro-model, mass build.

Over the last year a couple of new trends have appeared. A move towards Retro-models and the adoption of the club mass build. Retro-models trend to be centred around the 60-70's mainly of 40-60 powered aerobatic models. A mass build is where a group of individuals decide upon a published design or kit and each build a model using the medium of the internet to air problem and solutions connected with the build. My thought is would it be possible to combine the two and have a RAFMAA mass build of a Retro-design. We have between us enough talent and experience to successfully produce such completed models. If you think that you fancy the idea could you please reply via this medium giving your preference of model, glider or powered and design name. We could possibly resurrect the old RAFMAA Concours de Elegance class which has an absolutely fantasic trophy (Aeromodeller Cup) attached to it. My choice would be a past Pete Russell design called Striker, a 60 Powered jet style aerobatic model. That will have surprised a few people who know me, so grab a few old mags and scan them through. Even better bend the ear of a few oldies and make a choice.
Electricks is offline Find More Posts by Electricks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:18 AM
Joined Dec 2006
128 Posts
I really like the idea. I am happy to go for what even design is most popular. I would at some point like to build a retro glider but we could go with a power model for the first project.
wolvines is offline Find More Posts by wolvines
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:53 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bordon
Joined Nov 2003
117 Posts
Maybe an autogyro. Can't say any more at the moment.
FlckSpnCrshBrn is offline Find More Posts by FlckSpnCrshBrn
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:39 AM
Joined Jun 2012
79 Posts
Auto gyro

I think that the next issue of RCM&E has a free plan for an Auto-gyro. Mind you I am always wary of something that you can't test glide.
Electricks is offline Find More Posts by Electricks
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:10 PM
Joined Nov 2003
117 Posts
Is test plummet an equivalent?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:11 AM
Joined Nov 2003
117 Posts
Ken Wallis, of autogyro fame, will be our guest speaker at this year's Annual Fly In. How about we all have a go at the RCM&E free plan in his honour? I've got a twin autogyro and it's a hoot!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:18 AM
Joined Nov 2003
117 Posts
... Of course, I (and others by the sound of it) have a Solange to build first!
Old May 20, 2013, 01:41 PM
Joined May 2013
1 Posts
Retro Aero Fan

Having flown "shovels" in the '70s and later, I'm impressed by the new movement, and have actually built a new "Striker" 30 years after my last one. Dimension, wing sections, etc. are faithful but have updated the design to have removable 2 piece plug-on wings and tail so it will fit in my plane. Electric power with an AXI 4120 on 4S

Electric-powered Retro models will be welcome at the UK Middle Wallop meet on July 6/7 and there will be a small prize for the best model/flight. See you there!
gavsiman is offline Find More Posts by gavsiman
Old May 20, 2013, 02:36 PM
Joined Nov 2003
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavsiman View Post
Having flown "shovels" in the '70s and later, I'm impressed by the new movement, and have actually built a new "Striker" 30 years after my last one. Dimension, wing sections, etc. are faithful but have updated the design to have removable 2 piece plug-on wings and tail so it will fit in my plane. Electric power with an AXI 4120 on 4S

Electric-powered Retro models will be welcome at the UK Middle Wallop meet on July 6/7 and there will be a small prize for the best model/flight. See you there!
Looks great. Not sure of the expected RAFMAA turnout for Middle Wallop. I've attended on my own in previous years but won't be able to make it this year due to the RAF Waddington Air Show taking precedence with CinC Home Command.
Old May 20, 2013, 02:40 PM
Joined Nov 2003
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlckSpnCrshBrn View Post
Ken Wallis, of autogyro fame, will be our guest speaker at this year's Annual Fly In. How about we all have a go at the RCM&E free plan in his honour? I've got a twin autogyro and it's a hoot!
Unfortunately Ken has had to withdraw his offer of being our guest speaker as he is reigning back on the number of talks he is doing this year. What a shame as those of you that have had the pleasure of listening to him will surely agree.

(At least I don't feel so guilty about not having started my autogyro project yet!)
Old May 20, 2013, 02:55 PM
Joined Nov 2003
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlckSpnCrshBrn View Post
Unfortunately Ken has had to withdraw his offer of being our guest speaker as he is reigning back on the number of talks he is doing this year. What a shame as those of you that have had the pleasure of listening to him will surely agree.

(At least I don't feel so guilty about not having started my autogyro project yet!)