SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:37 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,824 Posts
After flying it first hand I can say I am glad to know I do not have to depend one finding a good pilot to teach me to fly, cause with this device everyone could look like hey knew what they were doing. Hovering is so easy. pull back on elevator and let go of the sticks, if the plane needs right rudder up elevator, left aileron the plane automatically inputs it w/o you touching anything. I guess I need to refresh my editing skills and try to get a video of the tx and the plane together and post up on here.
as long as the plane has the power it will hold the hover in 3D mode. I slowed the power down and the plane looked like someone who didn't know how to hover at all give more power back into the plane and back in a stable hover it went.

Knife edge flight roll the plane the way you want give the rudder input then let go of the sticks it keep going KE as long as you want to unless you lower the throttle then the nose will fall of course
Did elevator and the wings did not rock at all. Honest been to long to remember how much rock this plane had but I know it had some.

2D mode it doesn't let you do anything by mistake be great on a trainer or any plane for someone new to flying

Can't wait to fly it some more I was in a hurry today busy moving into my new place but be plenty of days to get more flights in on it.
Not that I need a guardian cause I am a really experienced 3D pilot i am looking forward to more of promoting the product for new pilots then anything else just amazing how well it works.

Need to make it compatible with helicopters
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:55 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Pretty sure it goes without saying, but the model needs to be properly trimmed for the ET to do its job properly

In 2D mode if you have multiple throws will the unit use the throws based on switch position, or will it default to the setup rates?

Thanks

FCA

Also how are you all attaching it, Velcro, servo tape
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:01 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
Pretty sure it goes without saying, but the model needs to be properly trimmed for the ET to do its job properly

In 2D mode if you have multiple throws will the unit use the throws based on switch position, or will it default to the setup rates?

Thanks

FCA

Also how are you all attaching it, Velcro, servo tape
The ET does NOT have access to your transmitter programming, so I presume it is using your full servo travel as you have set it up mechanically.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:21 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Guardian goes between the receiver and the servos and thus does in fact have access to your Transmitters programing.

You initialize it with plane in a level attitude with control surfaces trimmed for neutral flight and its' job is to maintain this attitude.

In 2D mode how much you can override Guardia depends on the Transmitter's setting ( EPAs) control surface throw. I posted much earlier that in my Mini Gremlin on low rates in 2D it would not roll ,only went to KE but on high rates it would roll but on the other hand it would not loop in 2D even on high rates.

It all depends on the Transmitters setting, control surface authority speed of the aircraft ,Guardian gain setting on each axis and over all gain settings.

Recommended mounting is with double side foam tape like used to mount gyro in a heli ,after all it is a set of gyros plus.

In my MiniGremlin it was mounted with double sided tape ,in my Lil-Banchee it is mounted on a ply shelf( battery shelf) dense rubber (Hi Tec receiver wrap) under it and secured with a velcro strap. It needed to be easy to remove as it is mounted with adjustment pots. up ,(not accessable ) and thus would have to be lossened,slid out ,flipped over to get to adjustments. I adjusted it to what looked about right put in place snuged the velcro strap and have not touched it for a week and over 20 flights now.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 29, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:55 PM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Great I need 5 unit

FCA
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
Great I need 5 unit

FCA
if your new to the hobby or if your trying to learn 3D I believe this is the best thing you could put on your plane. Can't wait till there available I am going to be putting one in my 42" AJ slick and seeing how good it helps my Gf fly and be able to learn more maneuvers she can hover pretty well but KE and other things she still won't get with this device you can fly inverted hands off. no holding down elevator to fly level. if you get into trouble just flip from 3D to 2D and the plane rolls it self back upright and level So neat
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:45 PM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
I've been flying now for a little over 2 years, to be honest my skills are ok, I am comfortable flying at 100 mph, most of my crashes resulted cause I let the plane get to far away from me, and lost orientation while low to the ground

So the unit will be used mainly as a bail out device, loose orientation flip to 2D at least it will level out and I should be able to bring it back

And 3D to help me bridge the gap between 100 to 200

Never did any 3D flying, but plan on trying with the help of ET

FCA
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,824 Posts
I have flown everything from micro to quarter scale there all fun to me 3d is a lot of fun but 3d with helicopters are more challenging for me i can do everything with a plane but not with a heli the great heli guys still impress me what they can do
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:54 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,921 Posts
3 questions to beta testers.
1) Can it be mounted in the vertical plane. eg flat foamy type biplane fuselage.
2) In 2D mode with the fuselage held so wings are vertical, does switching from low to high rates change the aileron position?
3) What happens if connection is lost with the transmitter?
Old Apr 01, 2012, 04:11 AM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
3 questions to beta testers.
1) Can it be mounted in the vertical plane. eg flat foamy type biplane fuselage.
2) In 2D mode with the fuselage held so wings are vertical, does switching from low to high rates change the aileron position?
3) What happens if connection is lost with the transmitter?
Hi

1) If by vertical plane you mean having the guardian board pointing straight up? I would say no ... The guardian needs to be "level" in /on the model with the front of the board pointing towards the front (direction of travel). The board needs to be as flat / level as possible in the pitch and roll axis of the model. Minor errors in mounting can be corrected for by using menu items to reset level

2) not sure i can answer that since with the model pointing straight up all the control surfaces will be deflecting trying to bring plane back to level. Switching rates should not have an effect - but i have never tested that.

3) if transmitter connection is lost , what happens depends on how your receiver functions during a fail safe. For example if your receiver maintains last good stick position, then the plane will follow that depending on whether you were in 2d mode vs 3d mode. You can imagine multiple possibilities. For example if you were flying level and in 2d mode, the plane will continue to fly level until the battery dies etc.

If your receiver allows preseting each channel, then you can determine exactly what will happen by setting up fail safe to a stabilization mode (2d for example), and maybe a gentle bank - it will be up to you to experiment. But there is no return to home or anything lke that.

If the receiver does something funky on failsafe then anything can happen i suppose.

al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:36 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,921 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to answer. See clarification below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
Hi

1) If by vertical plane you mean having the guardian board pointing straight up? I would say no ... The guardian needs to be "level" in /on the model with the front of the board pointing towards the front (direction of travel). The board needs to be as flat / level as possible in the pitch and roll axis of the model. Minor errors in mounting can be corrected for by using menu items to reset level

I meant front of the board to nose of model; but width of board in rotated 90deg. I wondered whether the guardian could accept the board could accept yaw & pitch axis being exchanged.

2) not sure i can answer that since with the model pointing straight up all the control surfaces will be deflecting trying to bring plane back to level. Switching rates should not have an effect - but i have never tested that.

Actually I meant wingtip straight up, nose horizontal. I was predicting that rate switch would make no effect as I see it as a feedback loop, however previous answers were unclear

3) if transmitter connection is lost , what happens depends on how your receiver functions during a fail safe. For example if your receiver maintains last good stick position, then the plane will follow that depending on whether you were in 2d mode vs 3d mode. You can imagine multiple possibilities. For example if you were flying level and in 2d mode, the plane will continue to fly level until the battery dies etc.

If your receiver allows preseting each channel, then you can determine exactly what will happen by setting up fail safe to a stabilization mode (2d for example), and maybe a gentle bank - it will be up to you to experiment. But there is no return to home or anything lke that.

If the receiver does something funky on failsafe then anything can happen i suppose.

Thanks

al
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:40 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
When Guardian is intstalled you initilaze it to let it know this is striaght level flight. In 2D mode it does its' best to maintain SLF. I have not as yet tried it by I believe that if it were mounted upside down or at 90 degrees (vertical its' bottom to side of fuse. ) it would work the same but I could be wrong. Remember each AXIS has it's own gain and direction adjustment.

Personally I can not think of an aircraft (even a profile) where theGuardian 2D/3D could not be mounted as per recomendations. Manyl of my flate plate foamies have slots thru the fuse. for mounting servos, LiPolys etc..

In 3D mode it maintains what every orintation the aircraft was last in before the sticks were centered. If you release the aircraft slight nose up and wings level it goes that way until you move the sticks. If it is pointed straight up it goes that way,if you release it nose up but at a 45 angle to one side( KE) t it goes that way. Note: I stire the sticks before release so that all surfaces are at netural as the Guardian will add down elevator and right or left ail. and rudder as you move it about with guardian turned on prior to desired release attitude.

At present I am limited to having 2D or 3D no off as DX7 Transmitter will not alow 3 position (Flap) switch to be used with duel ail. (Ch. 1 and 6) . I may put ail. servos on a Y harness so that I can get use of 3 pos. sw. back.

I just installed unit in Lil-Banchee here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=194

just over a week ago and only have 24 flights with it.

First flight with it were in a combat flying wing three weeks ago

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=106

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Apr 01, 2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Any idea on a release date?
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:14 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Bill is standing firm on Late Spring. I know he wants product to market ASAP and myself and others are also anxiously awaiting the first production run.

Not that it really helps but FYI there is really a world wide shortage of componets and manufacturing production line time. I beta for a manufacture that has to order key componets 26 weeks ahead of needs.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Apr 01, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:16 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
For us summer loving guys Down Under, on the other side of the world... what does 'late spring' translate to locally?
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged