Closed Thread
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:53 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
I can't find it now, but I saw that listing the other day. I think he wanted $99 for a an Extreme main motor, lipo, and no name tail motor (F45 replacement?) with a heatsink.
99$ ??? He must be waiting for idiots with little brain but big wallet...
-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:37 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
99$ ??? He must be waiting for idiots with little brain but big wallet...
-mike-
Agreed, that plus the cost of the 9116 and you could get a pretty nice heli. I ended up getting 2 Extreme 180 motors off Ebay for $21 total. I'll report on them when they arrive next week. So 1 Extreme main motor along with a f45 tail motor and toss in a lipo if you like for a total of about $32.
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:40 PM
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Sorry, have you really read my post?
first link shows these.....
-mike-
Yes, I just want to confirm this will fit the stock servo, some comments on the product page says it won't fit mini servos??

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...o_Arm_Set.html
runningupthathil is offline Find More Posts by runningupthathil
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:38 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningupthathil View Post
Yes, I just want to confirm this will fit the stock servo, some comments on the product page says it won't fit mini servos??

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...o_Arm_Set.html
OK - You have to ask the man who actually uses futaba servo arms - dragnse7en:
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...-36-25_670.jpg
I'm using still stock arms and have the spares of the turnigy 1440 servo.
You may try these as well
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Mi_Servos.html
but imho still the best is it to buy the 1440 for 2 $ more and having arms and a spare servo
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mikefromgermany; Oct 09, 2012 at 04:13 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,616 Posts
Rotor blade options

Has anyone tried putting different rotor blades on their 9116? I would like something about an inch longer and stiffer than the stock ones. I was wondering if maybe 9117 blades would work: they would have the length but I don't know about the stiffness.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:40 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
492 Posts
I'm pretty sure longer main blades would hit the tail rotor.
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
Guys my 9116 is coming in today. This will be my first heli pretty much. I had one years ago but had no idea how to fly it, I pretty much got all crashes no flying. Anyways will the heli come auto trimmed or will it come trimmed very badly. Will I be able to practice flying it in a big bed room or should I wait till I find a large open area which isn't nearby. I already watched some videos of how you get started by sliding it around the floor.
F1n1shed is offline Find More Posts by F1n1shed
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:11 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
I just received my 9116 via UPS!! The unboxing was exciting. (as it is with any new bird) It wasn't cumbersome to release the helicopter with too many twisty ties strapping the machine into the packaging, there was only two easy ones. I felt the packaging was bright, exciting and inviting.

I've got the battery charging now, so i'll soon be able to fire it up and test to make sure everything is working.

The official maiden flight won't be today though its a bit too windy outside to try and fly a new bird I have no feeling for. I'm hoping i'll get lucky and catch a break from the wind this afternoon sometime. But as with any questionable weather, there's no guarantees.

I've discovered that the manual for the Tx is confusing! I blame the horrible Chinese translation. I'm sure if I read it over three or four times, i'll figure it out though. But learning most of these new features will come with trial and error in the field. This is however, the most advanced Tx I have. I do like how the Tx feels. It fits my hands well and its not too heavy. And I'm excited to try binding it with my V911 in a few days time.

My initial impressions of the helicopter are positive as well. It seems to be a very sturdy and well built helicopter featuring a metal chassis and a solid hard plastic canopy. I love the metal tail boom as it appears to be very resistant to damage from flybar strikes and/or crashes. The landing skids seem to be composed of a pretty durable and moderately flexible plastic which seem to be somewhat forgiving when it comes to hard landings. The main rotor blades appear to be durable and flexible, which means they're forgiving as well when it comes to a crash or any other type of collision with an object.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with this bird right out of the box. The real test however comes in flight.

I'll soon start stocking up on repair parts as well, to ensure maximum enjoyment from this helicopter!

Bottom line: I'm happy to welcome the 9116 as the newest bird to my fleet.
HuskySpade is offline Find More Posts by HuskySpade
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:07 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
I had an opportunity to take my new 9116 out to the empty two car garage, away from the wind in an attempt to test everything out.

I managed to bring the 9116 to a reasonable hover, but i'm still trying to trim it out. My five minute flight time came to an end quickly, as I didn't feel completely confident in my trimming by the time my five minutes was up.

One thing I have noticed, is the Tx stores your trim settings after its been powered off. According to a youtube review I watched while considering this helicopter, the Tx didn't store trim settings in memory when it was powered off, but that was quickly disproven with my experimentation today.

Another thing I noticed was, if you don't straighten out the main rotor blades before spinning up, the blades can get caught on the tail boom. A minor inconvenience but an easy fix nonetheless. Its good practice anyways to straighten the main rotor blades before any flight.

Now I'm waiting for the battery to cool so I can charge it up again, and perhaps try another test flight this afternoon.
HuskySpade is offline Find More Posts by HuskySpade
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:25 PM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
700 Posts
Spacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskySpade View Post
I had an opportunity to take my new 9116 out to the empty two car garage, away from the wind in an attempt to test everything out.

I managed to bring the 9116 to a reasonable hover, but i'm still trying to trim it out. My five minute flight time came to an end quickly, as I didn't feel completely confident in my trimming by the time my five minutes was up.

One thing I have noticed, is the Tx stores your trim settings after its been powered off. According to a youtube review I watched while considering this helicopter, the Tx didn't store trim settings in memory when it was powered off, but that was quickly disproven with my experimentation today.

Another thing I noticed was, if you don't straighten out the main rotor blades before spinning up, the blades can get caught on the tail boom. A minor inconvenience but an easy fix nonetheless. Its good practice anyways to straighten the main rotor blades before any flight.

Now I'm waiting for the battery to cool so I can charge it up again, and perhaps try another test flight this afternoon.
Hi

Go to this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2795

and add spacer to each blade ( stay yours blades straight right ) and yours blades will not touch the tail boom.

Your helicopter will go much better and SUPERVISE better.

Bye Gilles
OrangeBird is offline Find More Posts by OrangeBird
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OrangeBird; Oct 09, 2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:46 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1n1shed View Post
Guys my 9116 is coming in today. This will be my first heli pretty much. I had one years ago but had no idea how to fly it, I pretty much got all crashes no flying. Anyways will the heli come auto trimmed or will it come trimmed very badly. Will I be able to practice flying it in a big bed room or should I wait till I find a large open area which isn't nearby. I already watched some videos of how you get started by sliding it around the floor.
First:
Welcome! You'll have fun and sometimes tears in your eyes
Second:
I would recommend to download stormforces Tech-manual
http://customers.skymesh.net.au/~mat...ech_manual.pdf and trim the bird manually in - center servos and then level the swashplate according to the instructions given there.
It will need 2-3 charges but its worth every second of time invested.
Third:
Don't try to fly it in a bed-room (ok - you can do it if its 5*5 yards minimum with no obstacles and has a 4 yards ceiling....) this bird need space and is heavy enough to damage furniture - and there's the wooden magnetism in walls, too
Just find an empty garage or some no-wind-area for your first hovering minutes and trimming.

If you should encounter any problems, feel free to ask here.
Have fun!
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:49 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBird View Post
Hi

Go to this trade:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2795

and add spacer to each blade ( stay yours blades straight right ) and yours blades will not touch the tail boom.

Your helicopter will go much better and SUPERVISE better.

Bye Gilles
Thanks Orange, I just wanted to post it, too
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:54 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,625 Posts
Quote:
Ok - the TX IS saving your trims - but only the subtrims in the menu.
the trim-buttons settings get lost every time you switch it off - so use them only for quick small adjustments while flying (You'll need the rudder-trim buttons far by most, because the bird will slightly loose power in the rear motor as the batt goes down)
But please trim the bird mechanically to a near as possible hands-free hover before doing the rest in the menu. You'll loose a lot movement authority if you don't do it.
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:27 PM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
700 Posts
Spacer ( blade )

Quote:

Hi

You can also see SPACER at this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...40154&page=233

And see photos

Bye Gilles
OrangeBird is offline Find More Posts by OrangeBird
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OrangeBird; Oct 09, 2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:21 AM
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
Thanks mike, i'm real excited. Now one question on youtube it doesn't show how to install the training gear for the one i have, it doesnt come with zip ties. http://www.bananahobby.com/product_78371_detailed.html
Its called the small training kit, i need some help please.
F1n1shed is offline Find More Posts by F1n1shed
Closed Thread