HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:57 PM
Registered User
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jul 2011
102 Posts
Discussion
My ultra micro t28 get an aileron stuck sometimes??

Today while flying my ultra micro t-28 the aileron stuck to one side and it started spiraling down but I saved it. I landed checked it out, the control surfaces seemed fine then when I launched it again the same thing happened after a few laps luckily over grass and crashed down. Again I checked it and flew it again and it didn't happen no more. I don't get it? I'm flying on a dx4i on high rates and I've been flying this plane for awhile now and never had this problem. I no it's not the controller because when I got the super cub dsm I sent the controller in to horizon and they updated it. I'm stumped cause the rest of the flights went fine anybody have any ideas
Drewkc is offline Find More Posts by Drewkc
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:12 PM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewkc View Post
Today while flying my ultra micro t-28 the aileron stuck to one side and it started spiraling down but I saved it. I landed checked it out, the control surfaces seemed fine then when I launched it again the same thing happened after a few laps luckily over grass and crashed down. Again I checked it and flew it again and it didn't happen no more. I don't get it? I'm flying on a dx4i on high rates and I've been flying this plane for awhile now and never had this problem. I no it's not the controller because when I got the super cub dsm I sent the controller in to horizon and they updated it. I'm stumped cause the rest of the flights went fine anybody have any ideas
Three things cause this or its a combo of the three. You'll need to go intide the plane to investigate.

The linkage can bind or be hard to move, especially if a wing is creased. If the ailerons move free with the servo disconnected, this probably isn't it.

If the servo locks up at full travel and you need to spin the large gear to get it unstuck, you can trim ailerons away from this side of the travel and mechanically adjust the U-bend to recenter.

If the Servo dies in the middle of its travel, it likey need a new Servo rack/motor. They are about $10 for horizon. You'll need a #000 Phillips screwdriver to take off the 4 screws, and solder on a new motor.

If the T-28 is relatively new, I would contact horizon. If its out of warranty and you Don't want to fix it, buy a new AS2000L long throw servo to replace it.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 03:50 PM
Fly low or fly home.
skarface's Avatar
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
yea my t-28 came with a short throw and i put a long throw and i wiggled the t bar thing to make it loose that way it doesent get stuck but idk if thats the problem how long have your had the plane?
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 04:09 PM
Registered User
slim1357's Avatar
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
Several people have had this issue, including myself. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4466

Horizon replaced my servo.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 05:27 PM
Registered User
ausf's Avatar
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
By all means, call Horizon, but you may want to check the gears under magnification. Any tiny spec of debris can get wedged in there, causing it to stick.

I have to clean them out at least once a week, especially in my sons' Champs, and so far with 6 planes, I've only needed one replaced and that was an outboard F4U.

Just suggesting the once over, I hate to have a plane sit if I don't have to.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 08:39 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
MaladroitFL's Avatar
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
I know a few guys - myself included - who have had stuck aileron servos.

For every one of us who complain here about it, there are probably a bunch more who don't.

But you can bet HH knows they have a problem with this aileron set-up. It would be nice if they asked the manufacturer to fix the problem at the source.

HA HA...yeah... right.
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 08:45 PM
Fly low or fly home.
skarface's Avatar
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
I know a few guys - myself included - who have had stuck aileron servos.

For every one of us who complain here about it, there are probably a bunch more who don't.

But you can bet HH knows they have a problem with this aileron set-up. It would be nice if they asked the manufacturer to fix the problem at the source.

HA HA...yeah... right.
mabye put somekind of very light weight plactic or rubber case over that pops off and has a whole that enable for the rod to still go through it might solve the prob cuz im sure it is just stuff inside your servo
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 01:13 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
nemoskull's Avatar
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
yeah, me too. never happened in the air, but some times it does. its not just the tx, i think. i fly with a Dx5e, so it MAY be not the tx, or the tx alone.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:44 PM
Registered User
ausf's Avatar
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
I've countersunk and covered the servo both on the wing top and bottom with .015" styrene stock on the F4U and P-51 (servo in the wing as a mod) and never had an issue afterwords.

The OP is referring to the internal servo of the T-28, which is far less prone to debris than the other UMs.

You could also unscrew the servo motor assembly from the board and give the brushes and strip a wipe down with iso alcohol.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 06:06 PM
Fly low or fly home.
skarface's Avatar
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausf View Post
I've countersunk and covered the servo both on the wing top and bottom with .015" styrene stock on the F4U and P-51 (servo in the wing as a mod) and never had an issue afterwords.

The OP is referring to the internal servo of the T-28, which is far less prone to debris than the other UMs.

You could also unscrew the servo motor assembly from the board and give the brushes and strip a wipe down with iso alcohol.
so my idea came to life.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:29 AM
Registered User
ausf's Avatar
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned doggie View Post
so my idea came to life.
About 10 seconds after the kit was released, guys were covering the servos with everything from plastic coin rolls to CA bubble packaging.

So yeah, your idea is great.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:35 PM
"whirlydude"
flyeraroo's Avatar
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,513 Posts
My aileron servo stuck on the T-28 when I tested the controls right out of the box. I called HH, and they had me send the plane back to them. A new plane was shipped the same day they received mine, and I haven't had any issues with the plane so far.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 01:32 PM
Fly low or fly home.
skarface's Avatar
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyeraroo View Post
My aileron servo stuck on the T-28 when I tested the controls right out of the box. I called HH, and they had me send the plane back to them. A new plane was shipped the same day they received mine, and I haven't had any issues with the plane so far.
yea HH is good
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:14 PM
Agressive driver
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
Is it okay if I ask an off topic question?

Where did you get a Dx4i?
zanek is offline Find More Posts by zanek
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:08 AM
Fly low or fly home.
skarface's Avatar
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Never knew they made one. Haha just messin with do you mean dx4e or dx6i?
But,

http://www.horizonhobby.com/browse/p.../:cp=1/:ip=9/:

Right there is the place you want to buy any of your rc stuff. But for the transmitters (controlers) you want only spektrum or JR radios. Also why did you ask on this thread all it did is take it all the way to the top again if your going to ask a random question then ask on a thread that is already at the top or go to the radios section threads and make a new thread and just ask there.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Last edited by skarface; Dec 30, 2011 at 12:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Like new Ultra Micro Trojan T28 $80 Shipped or $60 LPU mjbennett9 Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 6 Aug 23, 2011 10:07 PM
Sold Like new Ultra Micro Trojan T28 mjbennett9 Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Aug 07, 2011 07:59 AM
Sold Like new Ultra Micro Trojan T28 mjbennett9 Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Aug 02, 2011 04:03 PM
Sold Like new Ultra Micro Trojan T28 mjbennett9 Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 0 May 25, 2011 02:45 PM
Sold Like new Ultra Micro Trojan T28 mjbennett9 Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 0 May 16, 2011 09:50 PM