HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2010, 06:45 PM
Joined Nov 2002
305 Posts
Discussion
Best cheap, durable, good flying indoor trainer?

My son wants a indoor, beginner heli for Xmas and is starting to fly my MCX. Is there a cheaper heli that is just as durable and stable as the MCX???

Thanks
duganderson is offline Find More Posts by duganderson
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2010, 06:56 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Solo Pro. How old is your son?
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 06, 2010, 06:57 PM
Joined Nov 2010
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duganderson View Post
My son wants a indoor, beginner heli for Xmas and is starting to fly my MCX. Is there a cheaper heli that is just as durable and stable as the MCX???

Thanks
If you want another 4 channel coax then look at the Nine Eagles Bravo III. If you are looking for a less expensive 3 channel then it is hard to beat the SYMA S107. They can be had for less than $30 and less than $20 if you catch it at the right time. They are very durable and all the parts are available if something does break. I've crashed both of mine many times and no real damage. I think that the throttle return spring is good to lessen damage if he is very young, as he doesn't have to remember to cut the throttle in a crash.
TheOldFart is offline Find More Posts by TheOldFart
Old Dec 06, 2010, 07:06 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
Yeah, the Nine Eagles Solo or Free Spirit or the Evo Flight "EF" Mini Stinger and the Revell Proto CX which both are just rebranded NE Solos but are exactly the same. are both sub-micro coaxials like the MCX but much more reasonably priced:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nine-Eagle-210A-...item4150479f41

bay.com/SOLO-Nine-Eagles-4CH-RC-Mini-210A-RTF-Helicopter-2-4G-/280586511044?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item41 544262c4

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...opter-rtf.html

Here are the relevant threads:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=1040741&pp=50

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ne+eagles+solo

Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Dec 06, 2010, 07:06 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldFart View Post
If you want another 4 channel coax then look at the Nine Eagles Bravo III. If you are looking for a less expensive 3 channel then it is hard to beat the SYMA S107. They can be had for less than $30 and less than $20 if you catch it at the right time. They are very durable and all the parts are available if something does break. I've crashed both of mine many times and no real damage. I think that the throttle return spring is good to lessen damage if he is very young, as he doesn't have to remember to cut the throttle in a crash.
He did say trainer right?

With the mode 4 controls on the 3 channel I can't see it being useful for the purpose of training him to move up to whatever helicopter. If anything it will put him behind having to relearn the side the rudder is on.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Dec 06, 2010, 07:17 PM
Joined Nov 2010
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
He did say trainer right?

With the mode 4 controls on the 3 channel I can't see it being useful for the purpose of training him to move up to whatever helicopter. If anything it will put him behind having to relearn the side the rudder is on.
I don't think that it puts one behind. It still teaches direction control from any position, which is the most difficult thing that I have to had to contend with. I frequently switch between my S107 and mCX2 and have no problem with which is rudder and which is aileron. Direction visualization is much more difficult in my opinion. It would be good to know the age of his son so that it is easier to make a recommendation.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 07:20 PM
Joined Nov 2002
305 Posts
He is 6 1/2 but is starting to have success with my mcx.
duganderson is offline Find More Posts by duganderson
Old Dec 06, 2010, 07:38 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
He is 6 1/2 but is starting to have success with my mcx.
Would you not be better getting him the BNF MCX, I think that would be as cheap as buying a complete "cheaper" version and you could cut down on spares for the two of you
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Dec 06, 2010, 07:39 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Quote:
I don't think that it puts one behind. It still teaches direction control from any position, which is the most difficult thing that I have to had to contend with. I frequently switch between my S107 and mCX2 and have no problem with which is rudder and which is aileron. Direction visualization is much more difficult in my opinion. It would be good to know the age of his son so that it is easier to make a recommendation.
You can nose in hover with a coaxial hands free so orientation training on a coaxial be it 3 or 4 channel makes no difference when comparing to FP or CP models.

I can fly a coaxial in ways that most people can't imagine one can go, but I still had to spend a full week of non stop practice on a simulator before I could nose in my CP. The coaxial in any form really doesn't translate so much when you're constantly having to input aileron and elevator just to keep the fp and cp balanced.

Considering that his kid is only six and a half I think a Nine Eagles Solo or Bravo III would probably be a better solution for him.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Dec 06, 2010, 08:37 PM
New guy on the block
So Cal
Joined Dec 2010
18 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
Hi there, I'm in the same boat as you. I just got into the hobby period and my intro heli which I'm still flying <2 weeks> is the art tech miniwolf. I picked it up for 69 on bananahobby.com. Anyways, the heli is super durable, I;ve crashed it numerous times and it just keeps flying. Its very stable and it was easy to learn it. My son who is 7 years old is drooling all over it. I've done some reading these past couple weeks and I decided on the syma s107... on xheli.com they are 29 bucks. From what I've read it seems like a nice bird and its super cheap and parts seem to be available everywhere. Now, I'm not nowhere near an expert so I can only comment on the only heli I've flown so I can recommend clones etc like others here. I hope I was able to add something positive to what the others have said.

Jason
FireRescue_Batt7 is offline Find More Posts by FireRescue_Batt7
Old Dec 06, 2010, 08:55 PM
Joined Nov 2010
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
You can nose in hover with a coaxial hands free so orientation training on a coaxial be it 3 or 4 channel makes no difference when comparing to FP or CP models.
True, but a 6 year old is less likely to destroy a S107 than a Bravo III. The S107 has less fragile parts and less of a money loss if it is crashed hard. If he forgets to shut it down in a crash, it is going to cost a lot less to replace the PCB on a 3 channel when it fries from a stalled motor. I would definitely be thinking S107 if I were buying a first heli for a 6 year old. Actually, I think it was a good decision for this 65 year old to start with a S107.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 09:05 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,003 Posts
Quote:
True, but a 6 year old is less likely to destroy a S107 than a Bravo III. The S107 has less fragile parts and less of a money loss if it is crashed hard. If he forgets to shut it down in a crash, it is going to cost a lot less to replace the PCB on a 3 channel when it fries from a stalled motor. I would definitely be thinking S107 if I were buying a first heli for a 6 year old. Actually, I think it was a good decision for this 65 year old to start with a S107.
Why does nobody do the fuse mod that they recommend for the HBFP to protect the 4in1 in a crash from being fried on the smaller coaxials?

ESky Honey Bee FP HBFP V2 - Fuse Mod - Easily Protect Your 4in1 (9 min 57 sec)

E2
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Dec 06, 2010, 09:49 PM
Joined Nov 2010
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Why does nobody do the fuse mod that they recommend for the HBFP to protect the 4in1 in a crash from being fried on the smaller coaxials?

E2
The weight of the Honey Bee is 304g. The weight of a mCX2 or mSR is only 28g. The mCX2 would need 2 fuses and the weight addition would probably be significant. Even 1 fuse in the mSR might be a significant weight increase.

There are micro blade fuses, so that might work, but I would have to weigh all the components to see if the weight is significant enough to cause a problem. I would, but I don't have the parts. In addition to the weight, there is very little room inside the fuselage of my mCX2.