HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:32 PM
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Jun 2010
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Good Grief! And is that your ESC mounted atop the wing, for cooling I'd presume? Looks LiPo -- what in the heck happened??
No, that's a Spektrum Satellite Rx on top...It was a LiPo fire. As soon as I Plugged in the 3s it just cooked off? The only thing I can think that might have caused this is the balance tap shorted on the top the metal ESC? But who knows? Still waiting for the FAA and the NTSB reports to come back... Lol...
Efishensea is offline Find More Posts by Efishensea
Last edited by Efishensea; Feb 11, 2013 at 06:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:55 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
Did your plane trim neutral David? is the airframe straight. And is a rubber cement used on the Blaze?
...?
mustflynow2 is offline Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:03 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
I had one puff instantly on hookup, about a month ago, in my Calypso. Had already made 2 flights with no bumps or bruises, took a break, went to hook up & magic smoke appeared!
Noted - instead of 'handshake' beeps, the motor started jerking around slowly & making an actual gagging/hacking sound coinciding with the jerks. Luckily I still had the XT60's in hand so yanked 'em apart before more serious damage could occur, but just those couple seconds destroyed a 2200 NanoTech with only 3 charges on it. Thinking the LiPo wiring had shorted or something, I put in another & felt it immediately starting to swell, so yanked it out. Turns out it was a defective ESC.
FWIW.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:03 PM
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Aug 2007
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
Received Dynamic-S from HK last night ... wing tips cracked and bent as many of you have mentioned.

More disturbing is prop shaft arrived broken off. Anyone know how to replace this? I can't figure out how to take the prop cone apart to get at the metal piece. Thanks
i cant remember if the motor is the same size between the blaze and d-s but if it is and you need a replacement shaft let me know.
johnwohl is offline Find More Posts by johnwohl
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:09 PM
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Aug 2007
180 Posts
Quote:
Did your plane trim neutral David? is the airframe straight. And is a rubber cement used on the Blaze?
dont know if you question was specifically for david but i have the blaze and out of the box it needed 2 clicks or so right trim, the airframe was straight, and it uses some sort of flexible white adhesive. not terribly strong or sticky. easy to peel off.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:46 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwohl View Post
dont know if you question was specifically for david but i have the blaze and out of the box it needed 2 clicks or so right trim, the airframe was straight, and it uses some sort of flexible white adhesive. not terribly strong or sticky. easy to peel off.
Ok, have only seen the D-S, which was quite bad for trim, one up for the blaze. Don't like that white silicon type adhesive personally. Essentially they are both oranges though, if you were to include the multiplex blizzard would you have an apple?
mustflynow2 is offline Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:35 PM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,988 Posts
Thanks to those who have replied. Like Johnwohl only a couple of clicks and the Blaze was right. I'll have a look at the gluing but no problems I can see other than that I felt the Tail end could have been a little too flexible from side to side. This was solved by running a length of 18mm glass strapping the full length of the fus' and around the end. So far no problems.

As for the Blizzard this is a different ball of wax. It is distinctly intended to run with more power and faster. Because of this I'm sure anyone who has been interested will know of the strapping "upgrade" that Multiplex recommend to increase rigidity. This is one of the first times I can recall of such an upgrade to one of their aircraft (maybe I'm wrong) but although I know of a couple of Blizzard fliers both show some respect during flight.

At the price here in Oz I feel that if considering more of a speed beast I think I'd pay the little extra price a buy warmliner glass from the get go.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:16 PM
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Aug 2007
180 Posts
Quote:
Ok, have only seen the D-S, which was quite bad for trim, one up for the blaze. Don't like that white silicon type adhesive personally. Essentially they are both oranges though, if you were to include the multiplex blizzard would you have an apple?
I agree with david. The Blizzard is a different plane. It's a bit smaller I think but more importantly, it's got a lot more reinforcement in the form of fiberglass wire embedded in multiple places (which I hear is quite tedious to put in). Also the recommended multiplex power pack seems like it would make the Blizzard quite a zippy aircraft indeed. Not to mention the price all up is quite a bit more than these planes.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:28 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Wondering if anyone has tried using a Dy-S replacement fuselage for the Blaze airframe & how'd the fit go? Interchangeable?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:20 AM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
2,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Wondering if anyone has tried using a Dy-S replacement fuselage for the Blaze airframe & how'd the fit go? Interchangeable?
Yep. Works. Tail mount area a bit different but still works.
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:33 PM
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Aug 2007
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
Yep. Works. Tail mount area a bit different but still works.
good to know. my fuse is really beat all to heck under the wings.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:42 PM
Faster is Better
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwohl View Post
good to know. my fuse is really beat all to heck under the wings.
Good timing on these comments: I clipped a treetop today at a particularly impressive rate of speed. I think I damaged the tree as much as it hurt my beloved D-S... but they both lost the battle. The plane cartwheeled into the grass from about ... 25 feet? Wing dings, cracks, and piercings in various places. Fuse cracked around the wing mounts, and nose almost torn free.

I'm trying to fix it this evening. If it doesn't come together nicely, I'll be hunting for spare parts.

I seem to have a persistent problem with depth-perception.
OldeMan is offline Find More Posts by OldeMan
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:41 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldeMan View Post
......... I think I damaged the tree as much as it hurt my beloved D-S... but they both lost the battle. ......
How did you damage the tree....got the chainsaw out
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:29 AM
Faster is Better
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
How did you damage the tree....got the chainsaw out
Ha! I'd like to take a chainsaw to it, but the plane got its own revenge. It was moving so fast (bottom of a power dive) that it broke off branches on its way through. When I went to pick it up, I had to pull them from its wings.

It's past midnight now... and I work tomorrow... but it's all fixed! The wing is looking a little "seasoned", but the fuse looks surprisingly good (considering the nose was drooping about 45 degrees when I first found it).

Powered up, tested, and ready for another round -- that is one tough airframe.
OldeMan is offline Find More Posts by OldeMan
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:49 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Takes a licksing & KEEPS ON a-BIXING!!
RCG Plus Member