HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2010, 10:32 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,975 Posts
Question
PT profile gyro...CG? pics

Can an aerobalsa profile gyro flyer tell me if either of these pics show the right amount of nose down for a test flight? Thanks in advance.
skypup is offline Find More Posts by skypup
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2010, 11:43 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
NO! It doesn't right. Let me check mine and I'll get back to you. I think it should be 8 degrees down, but it could be more. That looks like 2 degrees!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Last edited by jodini; Feb 02, 2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 12:00 AM
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
Here ya go skypup. Found my PT-profile instructions and here's what it says.

"Balancing or "hang angle" - Adjust the battery for approximately 5-10 degrees attitude."

This is actually a surprise to me that they would allow that much leway. But it's just like a normal airplane...you want it a little nose heavy for the maiden flight. I would go 8-10 degrees.

If you have questions about throws or anything, let me know. Did you buy this autogyro already built or built it yourself?
Old Feb 03, 2010, 12:11 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,975 Posts
Mark or all Hang angle?

Mark or all. How about this hang angle (suspended from center of hub) for a test flight?
Last edited by skypup; Feb 03, 2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: pic change
Old Feb 03, 2010, 12:28 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini View Post
Here ya go skypup. Found my PT-profile instructions and here's what it says.

"Balancing or "hang angle" - Adjust the battery for approximately 5-10 degrees attitude."

This is actually a surprise to me that they would allow that much leway. But it's just like a normal airplane...you want it a little nose heavy for the maiden flight. I would go 8-10 degrees.

If you have questions about throws or anything, let me know. Did you buy this autogyro already built or built it yourself?
I built it myself. Just having trouble knowing the correct hang angle. No good way to measure. Mark posted a measurement at the tail with the firewall almost on a flat surface but it is useless with the landing gear attached. Not quite sure what that meant. He hung it by the pivot wire but I don't see a good way to do that unless I insert a longer new wire at the pivot to tie off on without hitting the rotor hub. Look at the above pic.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 04:03 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
The first time you were at 3 degrees and now you are about 11-12 degrees. I would leave it like it is, and fly it. You'll be able to handle it nose heavy and can always move the battery back after you adjust the trim.

Keep us updated on your maiden!
Joe
Old Feb 03, 2010, 04:47 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,975 Posts
Thanks Joe. I appreciate it. Will keep the group informed. BTW I sent for the RPG plans and will be building that also.
Last edited by skypup; Feb 03, 2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: add content