New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:31 PM
Find More Posts by kell490
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jul 2011
86 Posts
All retail is suffering when is the last time you bought a computer in a store? If you own a store already one need to do what it takes to get people in the door. Just flipping a sign to open isn't going to hack it any longer. Local hobby stores don't try to get new people interested build loyalty with your customers. The old saying that retail will be gone soon anyway is something I have heard for years. If you keep running your business how you ran it in 1986 sure it's going to fail. Times change you have to change with them figure out new ways to do it. The way to beat the internet is to get the customer to come to you for those $500-1000 RC helicopters. Chinese RC has it's issues try returning to hobbyking it's not worth it the cost of shipping is more then what you bought. I would never spend more then $100 on China. If I want to buy a $2500 Rc helicopter I won't be buying online that's for sure.
kell490 is offline Find More Posts by kell490
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2015, 11:03 PM
Find More Posts by robert harik
Joined Dec 2003
891 Posts
Originally Posted by Expresscraft View Post
I had a hobby shop up to a few years ago, After 20 plus years things have changed in the business.mail order was always there but it was never as cut throat as the internet is. I do not think the average customer understands how unethical the hobby business is.most stores have to compete with there suppliers. There is mail order price and retail prices,Nobody pays retail and whole sale barley covers shipping over mail order pricing. So customers come in all day wanting a small part for something they ordered on line and want the store owner to treat them like a loyal customer. It does get old day after day. I am not saying it is right, just putting it out there. Hobby shops will all be gone soon anyways. There only good business aspect is a right off for people that need a tax right off.Outside of that they fill a need that people are not willing to pay for. So they are pretty much done.Even the owners of horizon sold out a few years ago.They did not do that because there was a good future ahead.
This ^
They have been dying since mail order started ( places like tower hobbies ). The only ones I know that are still making it, have either gone online with competitive prices or are in wealthy areas, provide extra/ specialty help, and great customer service to cover their higher prices( train stores).
robert harik is offline Find More Posts by robert harik