HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2002, 06:14 AM
Dead stick!!
Joined Mar 2002
1,377 Posts
Flying Soarstar indoors?

Hi all

I have been flying 6 months, and probably consider myself an average flyer at this stage. There is an indoor flying club nearby, and I was wondering whether I am being foolish to consider taking my Soarstar along for a flight. It seems to fly slowly and turns well, but this is all in an open field. Will the walls be too close when I get indoors?

many thanks

Peter
Peter Young is offline Find More Posts by Peter Young
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2002, 02:44 AM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,561 Posts
Indoor SoarStar

Peter,

I believe the SoarStar and Wingo are very similar. I fly my Wingo in a standard size gymnasium often. It will easily perform figure 8s in a 60 X 90 feet area. However, I have reduced the weight of my Wingo to about 12 ounces.

I replaced the motor and gearbox with a GWS DX-A and GWS 9/7 or Flying Styro 9/6 3-bladed prop. I also replaced the heavy wheel axle with a carbon fiber rod and the wheels with the largest LiteStik type (about 3 inches in diameter). Another very good weight reduction practice is using lighter batteries. I have used every thing from six Sanyo 120 NiCads, to seven 600AE NiCads, Lighter is better. My favorite is seven 300 NiMHs. With thse I can get consistant 12 minute flights with throttle management. That's a long time in a confined space.

Might I suggest that you find out the size of the indoor flying area, then see if you can fly in the same size area outdoors? It's a much easier transition to indoors, if you know the airplane is comfortable with it.

Keep in mind, also, that many indoor gatherings do not allow any motors larger than 280s. I don't remember what the SoarStar has.

Hope this helps.

Happy flying.

Gary
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan
Old Jun 07, 2002, 10:32 AM
Brush Prairie, Washington
Joined May 2002
199 Posts
At my local indoor gatherings, a guy flys a Zagi, so I think a soarstar would be fine Joe
jocappy is offline Find More Posts by jocappy
Old Jun 07, 2002, 08:02 PM
Dead stick!!
Joined Mar 2002
1,377 Posts
Thanks - I think I'll give it a try.
Peter Young is offline Find More Posts by Peter Young
Old Jun 08, 2002, 05:42 PM
Kansas City area
Joined Nov 2001
2,743 Posts
Dont do it!

My advice would be to not try it,I saw it done by an experienced flyer,and he rekitted his soarstar.I tried it myself and found that a standard gym is too small.I stopped before breaking mine.
lensrc is offline Find More Posts by lensrc
Old Jun 08, 2002, 06:46 PM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,526 Posts
The last thing you want to do is go into a small complex and start terrorizing the other flyers with this big fast speed 400 ship (compared to the little planes they may be flying)......

Paul
Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney