HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2005
18 Posts
Discussion
Anyone have Ultra-RC Katana parts laying around?

I know this is the electric forum, but someone here may have had an Ultra-RC Katana....

I have an Ultra-RC Katana that I am in the process of reviving from a crash. It should not have been that big of a deal, I got behind the power curve doing a rolling harrier and before I could recover I smacked the deck and sheared the gear off. At that point there was no the damage and I flew off, but I had some great big ole side force generators that I had made on it which stuck down past the now gear less fuselage. Sooo, when it was time to belly in the right sfg caught and ripped the outer third of the wing to pieces. What made this plane such a great flier (light weight) also makes it susceptible to damage. The Pitts muffler on the os 160 also caught and ripped the firewall out. It was a lot of damage for simply bellying the plane in.

That was 6 years ago. The army sent me off shortly after and the plane has just been sitting on the shelf until last night when I decided to rebuild it. However I need to see if anyone out there has a few pieces left over from an old wreck. My canopy had melted and deformed on a hot day while it was sitting in the back of the truck. That is the main piece I need. My cowl also has some pretty substantial damage from the belly landing as well, but I might be able to salvage it, if someone has one available though then please let me know.

I am probably going to use the os 160 on it again for now, the plane weighed under 10.5lbs and the engine put out just over 20lbs of thrust. It had a stellar pullout. I have thought of using a light 30cc gas engine though. So far I have the covering stripped off of the fuselage and the right wing that I had to repair. I do not know what the covering is but the purple held up well and came off nicely, but the yellow has been a pia. It has ALL delaminated and the clear comes off leaving the yellow film behind. It has been hell to get off using masking tape and acetone. It has left the balsa tinted yellow but it is going to be recovered anyway. Here are a few pictures of where I am at now. The firewall has been pieced back together to use as a template, the new firewall will be 1/4 ply. The right wing is back together. If anyone has a conopy and cowl then please let me know, I would really appreciate it. Thanks
joeycoates is online now Find More Posts by joeycoates
to remove ads between posts