HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:47 AM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
912 Posts
Discussion
"Windmill" Simple DT Foamie RET

Here is a very simple to build foamie I put together out of DT foam. I'm calling it a "windmill" because of the pylon the motor sits on. I built it for something slow to fly around the front of the house.

It ended up flying alot better than expected. Anyways... its light. fly's slow. Very stable. Smaller area to fly in. Fly's off of most surfaces. Lands in a foot or so. RET. Blue Wonder motor. 39" wing span. Dihedral. Etc.

If there is interest I will post the plans. Here are some pics and a vid.

Windmill RET Foamy (2 min 52 sec)

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2014, 04:27 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,899 Posts
Very cool plane Nightstone ! It's fun to come up with something different - and the perfect song choice , too !

Al
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Aug 12, 2014, 01:27 PM
Canada, ON, Oshawa
Joined Feb 2013
27 Posts
PLANS? I'll try one
paladinflyer is offline Find More Posts by paladinflyer
Old Aug 12, 2014, 03:52 PM
Joined Feb 2009
78 Posts
That's certainly an interesting looking plane.
Have you actually weighed it?

Also, that's some pretty cool landing gear. I bet that would be fun in the snow.
CaptBojangles is offline Find More Posts by CaptBojangles
Old Aug 12, 2014, 06:30 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,513 Posts
Nice, we want plans.
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:56 AM
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,742 Posts
Following...
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Aug 13, 2014, 02:27 AM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
912 Posts
Will get some plans up shortly...

Nightstone
Old Aug 13, 2014, 04:50 AM
Danish? Don't U eat that??
Denmark
Joined Jan 2008
242 Posts
Now THAT is a real neat and functional construction. If one was to make it from skinned DT or depron for less weight and perhaps change the triple "float" landing gear to a single taped runner down the fuse center to compensate a bit for lost material strength, it might make a very tidy and easy to build indoor trainer. Your gear does seem to work very nicely though.
DKChris is online now Find More Posts by DKChris
Old Aug 13, 2014, 03:40 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKChris View Post
Now THAT is a real neat and functional construction. If one was to make it from skinned DT or depron for less weight and perhaps change the triple "float" landing gear to a single taped runner down the fuse center to compensate a bit for lost material strength, it might make a very tidy and easy to build indoor trainer. Your gear does seem to work very nicely though.
Yeppers... lots of options with this. And thanks!!!

Nightstone
Old Aug 13, 2014, 03:45 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
912 Posts
Did a photo build this morning. Going to process pics and do a step by step build. Hopefully have it done today. Here is a pic of the finished plane.

Also this plane would be good for a young one to start off on. Protected prop and you could restrict the throttle initially and let them slide it around on the grass/ground prior to flight. Then when you think they are ready and can do left and right with throttle control you let them go airborne.

Nightstone
Old Aug 13, 2014, 04:00 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Very cool plane Nightstone ! It's fun to come up with something different - and the perfect song choice , too !

Al
Btw Al. Those are your wings.

Nightstone
Old Aug 13, 2014, 05:06 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
912 Posts
Other info. Servo location can vary according to battery location and CG. CG is about 3" from the leading edge. Mount the motor how ever you like. I used a stick mount on mine.

Glue skids on to the bottom of the struts according to your needs. You can go wide or thin. Paper off taped DT works fine as does EPP.

As someone else mentioned you can use what ever foam you like. The plane I build for this tutorial weighs in at 135 grams without motor, servos, linkage controller. So this is a fairly light plane for its size but could be built much lighter.

I used hot glue on this build and sparingly. Hot glue sticks real well to paper so not much is needed.

You can build this in an evening easy. Took 5 hours total for this build including pics and posting.

Have fun
Nightstone