HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:17 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Sep 2006
322 Posts
Hi Gordon, I'm relieved to know I don't need to do a Usain Bolt to get the rotors up to speed! I'm not altering the control system as I want to get acceptably close to the original for the purposes of the build-off, so rudder/elevator it will be. I am making use of my lathe to produce what I consider to be a better bearing system and will attach the rotor mounting arms in a slightly different way. Essentially though it will be as designed. No doubt Mr Ellis, the designer, used materials and methods applicable to 1955, but we have more options at our disposal now. If I catch the A/G "bug" I may build a more advanced one in time. Thanks for your interest and the video.

Bob
Raf_Bob is offline Find More Posts by Raf_Bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:00 PM
Beware of the cabbage
London, England
Joined Jun 2005
486 Posts
GeeW, I like your video, but I don't think much of the pilot in your model, he doesn't seem very observant th what he's doing!

Raf_Bob, it looks as though you're already half caught by the A/G bug! Very interesting build and I look forward to seeing how i develops.
MeGrimm is offline Find More Posts by MeGrimm
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:21 AM
Joined Sep 2006
322 Posts
A bit more done on the rotor head. Next job is to assemble the arms to the discs. That will require a good degree of precision work. I'm devising a jig for setting it up.
After that, onto the model itself!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:11 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,470 Posts
Make sure you have a way to shim the blades incidence. I normally adjust by one 1/64" ply at a time until I get the right result.
GeeW is online now Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:27 PM
Joined Sep 2006
322 Posts
The plan asks for 3 degrees for the lower rotor and 4 for the top. I plan on jigging the arms to these angles before soldering to the discs. The resulting depth will be filled to render the discs solid before re-attaching to the bearings. I've yet to design the jig so my thinking cap will be on (if I can find it ). Great satisfaction to be had from building and problem solving isn't there?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:26 AM
Joined Sep 2006
322 Posts
Just to show I'm still working on the Contra-Gyro. Bottom rotor spider soldered up, top one to do. In this shot the disc is spinning rapidly and very smoothly but the flash has frozen the action!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:58 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,754 Posts
That is really nice work, Bob - and it only goes to reinforce the notion that I would have not a cat in hell's chance of making one myself!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:26 AM
Joined Sep 2006
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
That is really nice work, Bob - and it only goes to reinforce the notion that I would have not a cat in hell's chance of making one myself!
Thanks colonel. Had I not bought a lathe for my son when he was much younger, I would probably not have attempted this. He left home, got married, as they do, and bought his own lathe. He now builds live steam locos! But, I still have the machine so wanted to put it to use. It was very handy for making a jig to set up the spider for soldering. Now off to the luxurious shed to work on the other one.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:53 PM
Joined Sep 2006
322 Posts
Head construction nearing completion. Now getting down to the woodwork.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:23 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,023 Posts
Looks very technical! Nice work Bob.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:04 PM
Joined Sep 2006
322 Posts
With others getting well on with their builds, I think it's about time I showed some progress on mine. There have been several hold-ups including freezing weather and distractions into other projects, but I've made some headway. Building fuselage as a lower half which is easy to jig up and will form a foundation for the upper part. Hatch will fit into underside for which a magnet has been installed. Undercarriage will be detachable and will require tubes to be inserted across the front just behind the motor mounting bulkhead. Should proceed a bit more rapidly now. Much admiration for all that others have been doing.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:39 PM
Joined Sep 2006
322 Posts
Well, I stick to my threats so here is a photo of the machine to date. Lower fuz was built upside down in the jig. Hatch made and magnets installed on underside. Tubes for removable undercart installed and main legs bent up. I'm adopting (nicking) Georges idea here. The front undercarriage legs will be of lighter wire and set into tubes under the motor mount. That will have to wait until the nose block/cowl has been made. The motor is a 100 watt bell type. Absolutely no idea if this is right but from what I've read on here autogyros need more power than fixed wing aircraft. Only time will tell on that one. Beginnings of upper fuselage taking shape now. It looks a bit rough but should tidy up ok with a bit of persuasion! I wonder if anyone will notice my deliberate mistake with the rotor head Regret, no prizes!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:31 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,023 Posts
Coming along nicely Bob. Mind you, you do have six "wings" to build!!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:29 PM
Joined Mar 2005
63 Posts
Nice to see someone building a Contra Gyro. I watched my father flying the original quite a few years ago.
Farm Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Farm Flyer
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:45 AM
Joined Sep 2006
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm Flyer View Post
Nice to see someone building a Contra Gyro. I watched my father flying the original quite a few years ago.
That's very interesting. When and where did this take place? Do you remember how well it flew?