Old Aug 10, 2014, 07:41 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Whatever it takes indeed Sir.

Dag where are you storing your peacemaker at the moment? and has there been any moisture or any damage caused to her exposed wood airframe over the last two years?? Or do you have her wrapped up?

My experience an RC plane is most vulnerable to damage while it's being stored in an unfinished state.
Hey buddy, did not notice these post.

Its hanging on the ceiling of my garage.

All is good.

Rock ON!!!

Dag
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2014, 07:41 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin5465 View Post
Demondriver, my DC-3 was stored for many years in an unfinished state.
In my case I had the fuselage stretch wrapped. It kept dust and dirt out and hopefully kept the correct humidity (not too dry or too damp). The hardest part was trying to move around an 8' long fuselage that was fairly fragile due to its unfinished (unfiberglassed) condition. This moving included a move from New York to Texas, for which I built a crate, even though I was doing the moving.

When I resumed construction a few years ago I inspected everything carefully and went over a few glue joints, as most guys recommend. I scrapped the center wing section only b/c I was not happy with my old workmanship, but not b/c of deterioration.

I have no idea how Dag will store his plane. Maybe hang it from the garage ceiling out of the way? Stretch wrapping it shouldn't be a problem if he has a helper.
Yeppers!!!!!!

DAG
Old Aug 10, 2014, 07:45 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Looking forward to the completion of the awesome C-130 project so that work can then resume on the 36.

Pat
Might sound crazy. But I have re-drawn just about 100% of my B-36 drawings to support my fuse as is with all new foam/balsa sheeted wings and stabs. I believe if I do this I can save about 65% of my build and still keep her under 110 pounds.

If I go this route I would start in the spring a 3-5 months later I may actually get this beast flying.

Or..... I use my fuse to make a fiberglass mold and make a 100% new fuse just like my C130. In that case it would be 2016 before she would fly.

Or, I win the lotto and build 2

DAG
Old Aug 11, 2014, 05:22 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2008
426 Posts
LOL@ DAG!!!!
coptercptn is offline Find More Posts by coptercptn
Old Aug 11, 2014, 08:03 PM
Master of Repairs
United States, UT, Grantsville
Joined Mar 2013
1,039 Posts
+1 - If I win the lottery I will pay you to build 2.......!!

K
kknox is online now Find More Posts by kknox
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Spitfire Repair
Old Sep 20, 2014, 09:27 PM
United States, NM, Hobbs
Joined Oct 2011
103 Posts
Whew! I just finished reading the thread from the beginning. This is my second post in the thread, being one of the many satisfied to read without interjecting. I started reading it in 2011 and caught up to when it was real time, had to put it on hold to get married and combine the households of two mature adults who have lived alone for many years. THAT is a job and we aren't finished yet. Anyway, I'm just starting to enjoy modeling again and just read/reread the last 500 or 600 pages. It has a very different flow when being read without the breaks between posts. Dag, I admire your persistence and your willingness to put things on hold wen you don't trust the design. I'll continue to lurk until she flies.

I have learned a great deal reading the thread and have a whole new perspective on electric power and the reduction of vibration in spite of having enough IC engines to power all of my current builds. E-power will also allow me to build a 65" House of Balsa Peitenpol far more scale than would have been possible with the OS .40 four stroke I originally intended to use. I've had this kit for close to 20 years; better build it while I still can. I appreciate the inspiration and education you have provided. I'm working on some big planes as well. I have no doubt that more will be electric for the low vibration, reliability, cleanliness and incredible power. Thank you!

Rock ON!

David
David2011 is online now Find More Posts by David2011
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:19 PM
United States, IN, Grabill
Joined May 2004
1,521 Posts
I thought you guys would enjoy this video.
An actual radial engine in miniature!
It really runs!

This fits here becuase I think Dag will appreciate the craftsmanship
this man has!
Besides it was six huge radials that helped power the real B-36

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ITUZeNcxy3k
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
Old Sep 21, 2014, 04:37 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErcoupeEd View Post
I thought you guys would enjoy this video.
An actual radial engine in miniature!
It really runs!

This fits here becuase I think Dag will appreciate the craftsmanship
this man has!
Besides it was six huge radials that helped power the real B-36

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ITUZeNcxy3k
Very cool. But where do you get it really runs? Everything I have read about this is it is being run by compressed air? Wheres the ignition system? Spark or glow plugs?

The translations says its compressed air-
Handmade double star radial engine with 10 cylinders with 10 trees of longitudinal cams drafts handed propeller 36th variable.Es injection of compressed air and operates with only 0.2 kg / cm2.El cylinder diameter is 18 mm . and the stroke of the pistons is 16 mm..Tiene 40.7 cm3 displacement and probably the smallest double star world.This engine built by JosÚ Manuel Barreiro Hermo " Patelo " in honor of their hijos.Tiene 398 pieces , 289 screws and it took 1810 hours in its construction.
Radial engine double star with 10 cylinders and 10 drafts to 36║.It's longitudinal Camshafts made ​​with artisanal methods.It Variable pitch propeller has , Works with compressed air and with only 0.2 kg / cm2.The diameter of the cylinders is 18 mm and the stroke of the pistons is 16 mm.The displacement is 40.7 cm3.Probably it's the smallest engine of the double star world.It's built by JosÚ Manuel Barreiro Hermo " Patelo " and dedicates to His sons . pieces = 398 = 289 Screws , Hours of work = 1810 .

Rock ON!!! Very cool, only wish he could have made it run.

DAG
Old Sep 21, 2014, 05:07 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
Whew! I just finished reading the thread from the beginning. This is my second post in the thread, being one of the many satisfied to read without interjecting. I started reading it in 2011 and caught up to when it was real time, had to put it on hold to get married and combine the households of two mature adults who have lived alone for many years. THAT is a job and we aren't finished yet. Anyway, I'm just starting to enjoy modeling again and just read/reread the last 500 or 600 pages. It has a very different flow when being read without the breaks between posts. Dag, I admire your persistence and your willingness to put things on hold wen you don't trust the design. I'll continue to lurk until she flies.

I have learned a great deal reading the thread and have a whole new perspective on electric power and the reduction of vibration in spite of having enough IC engines to power all of my current builds. E-power will also allow me to build a 65" House of Balsa Peitenpol far more scale than would have been possible with the OS .40 four stroke I originally intended to use. I've had this kit for close to 20 years; better build it while I still can. I appreciate the inspiration and education you have provided. I'm working on some big planes as well. I have no doubt that more will be electric for the low vibration, reliability, cleanliness and incredible power. Thank you!

Rock ON!

David
Thanks David for the kind words.

I am not really sure how long the B36 will set on hold. When I started it time and funds were more plentiful than right now. I have a few obstacles (mental) which are really holding me back from continuing with many parts of the plane with the way they are design at this point. I don't want to finally get done and my wing really does have problems, or my landing gear fails and it destroys the wing ripping motors off the back of the wing while tearing the jet pods off. I know many will say "its going to work", but I feel many just wants it to work. The plane is a monster, I made many mistakes in its design, but that is how I have built all my planes in the past, do it 3 or 4 times until I get it right. But, on a plane the scale of the B36, that means 100's of hours, and a lot of money.

Thank you for posting, thank you for enjoying the ride with us all here. One day the B36 will fly, but I also need to have fun and be able to afford such a ginormous project.

I have also learn so much since I started the B36. For one is my experience with Fiberglass. I know now that today I could build the B36 jet pods on the wings 40% lighter, which way out on the wing would really help. I know now that I could build the main landing gear (except the wheels) 60% lighter, and be much strong. I know now where I went wrong on my wing design.

Its hard for many to live with the fact that all my work today may have been really all mock-up work, and the B36 that flies one day may not be much of what I have today. While it would be crazy expensive to a point, making a glass fuse with foam wings like my C130 would make the B36 stronger, easier to transport, and would save a lot of weight.

Stay tuned as one day it will fly, and while I hope it would be next to get done, when I step back and look at everything that needs to be done it may not. I can always find the time, but funds have become a bigger issue.

Rock ON! And you can never go wrong when you watch 110% of the giant electric builds here on RCG.

And, if you have not seen my C130 build, its kind of a cool project.

Thanks, Damon
Old Sep 23, 2014, 09:39 PM
United States, CT, Oxford
Joined Jan 2009
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Very cool. But where do you get it really runs? Everything I have read about this is it is being run by compressed air? Wheres the ignition system? Spark or glow plugs?

The translations says its compressed air-
Handmade double star radial engine with 10 cylinders with 10 trees of longitudinal cams drafts handed propeller 36th variable.Es injection of compressed air and operates with only 0.2 kg / cm2.El cylinder diameter is 18 mm . and the stroke of the pistons is 16 mm..Tiene 40.7 cm3 displacement and probably the smallest double star world.This engine built by JosÚ Manuel Barreiro Hermo " Patelo " in honor of their hijos.Tiene 398 pieces , 289 screws and it took 1810 hours in its construction.
Radial engine double star with 10 cylinders and 10 drafts to 36║.It's longitudinal Camshafts made ​​with artisanal methods.It Variable pitch propeller has , Works with compressed air and with only 0.2 kg / cm2.The diameter of the cylinders is 18 mm and the stroke of the pistons is 16 mm.The displacement is 40.7 cm3.Probably it's the smallest engine of the double star world.It's built by JosÚ Manuel Barreiro Hermo " Patelo " and dedicates to His sons . pieces = 398 = 289 Screws , Hours of work = 1810 .

Rock ON!!! Very cool, only wish he could have made it run.

DAG
Sounds pretty awesome running on air, imagine how cool six of those running on gas or nitro would sound! We'll just image they would run reliably, never giving you any trouble

I'm another one who lurks, quietly reading your build logs. All of your projects are pretty awesome. Looking forward to watching the 130 progress to a successful maiden, and seeing this one picked back up.
Keep up the great work!
70 ragtop is offline Find More Posts by 70 ragtop
Old Sep 24, 2014, 06:58 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,581 Posts
Watched Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart on the Retro channel on Dish today. Man. what beautiful footage of the B-36 and B-47.

J
J Morgan is online now Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Sep 25, 2014, 01:04 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,615 Posts
I remember, when I was about 8, items on our mantle vibrating with a real low hum. I went outside and saw a '36, my guess now, at about 20,000 ft. Man could she make the "Mojo".

Dennis
Dmerino is offline Find More Posts by Dmerino
Last edited by Dmerino; Sep 27, 2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 01:20 PM
Somewhere in central Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2007
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Watched Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart on the Retro channel on Dish today. Man. what beautiful footage of the B-36 and B-47.

J
If you have a You Tube account, that movie is available there for rent or purchase. I purchased it ($9.99) and can watch it as often as I like. My computer has a 23" LED flat screen monitor. Watch more movies there than I do on the old boob tube.

Strategic Air Command (1 hr 53 min 51 sec)
cbxer55 is online now Find More Posts by cbxer55
Old Sep 26, 2014, 09:46 PM
Wanted: More Time to Fly
Joined Aug 2014
72 Posts
The movie is also on Netflix for anybody that's interested. One of the better aviation movies made...
Back to the project, do you think crowdfunding or kickstarter would be a good idea? I would love to see this and the C-130 built, perhaps two of each!
Topdogzrc is online now Find More Posts by Topdogzrc
Old Sep 29, 2014, 03:26 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Been getting a lot of e-mails about updates on different planes.

This will kind of bring everything up to dated.

Atwood Aviation Update 9 1 14 (1 min 12 sec)

Accept the A7 and the H19 which I have tried to make plugs for, but so far looks like junk.

DAG