SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 24, 2006, 06:27 AM
Iowa
Joined Oct 2001
595 Posts
hey sarge: thanks for putting the two quotes together. i have the bird in one piece now and i think it weighs a ton. and i think those HS101s i used are contributing mightily to the problem. i need to swap out the heavier control rods i used and this is probably a good time to go to the HS55s - even if they seem so dinky. i'm guilty of looking at a large hole and wanting to fill it.

after the above, it's gentle toss time into some tall grass.
ronnath is offline Find More Posts by ronnath
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2006, 09:47 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnath
hey sarge: thanks for putting the two quotes together. i have the bird in one piece now and i think it weighs a ton. and i think those HS101s i used are contributing mightily to the problem. i need to swap out the heavier control rods i used and this is probably a good time to go to the HS55s - even if they seem so dinky. i'm guilty of looking at a large hole and wanting to fill it.

I bought and used some S75 servos that looked really tiny in the holes. I cut out a piece of foam the shape of the hole, fibre-taped the servo to it, and pushed it into the hole. That foam put the servo arm at the right place for the pushrod/tubing. Then I cut out some other small pieces of foam and glued them in on several sides between the opening and the servo. Then put a piece of fibre tape over the outside to make it all aerodynamic again. I used Uhu Creative Glue for Styrofoam, a glue that I know never completely hardens that I can scrape off everything later. So far so good.
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:01 AM
"SARGE"
Fairfax Station, (Northern) Virginia
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnath

You are right about the big holes and I thought the same. I did realize that they were clever holes in that they can accomodate different sized and style servos. The HS-55 can nestle in there perfect over to one side and the HS-81' fit like a glove. The holes even have the little slits cut in them to fit the servo screw plates.

Here are couple pictures and comments.
sargentw is offline Find More Posts by sargentw
Last edited by sargentw; Jun 24, 2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:20 AM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Sarge,
I know you guys have done alot of rudder mods by making them larger. I have done the basic rudder mod and I'm thinking about making the rudder area larger by just sandwiching two pieces of 1/64" ply and gluing it to the stock foam rudder.I think this would be a quick and easy mod,no taking the rudder off at all. My question is ,How much larger should it be? I fly in a field that is kinda small, a few soccer fields.
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:35 AM
Iowa
Joined Oct 2001
595 Posts
sarge, your pix are almost exactly what i ended up doing a couple or hours ago. the biggest difference is that i used dubros ez connectors on the servos.

just about ready to go for the hand toss in the tall grass. (flying field is only a mile or so away)

claybuster: i used a chunk of white foam from a meat tray but ended up with about the same thing you have.

rocket_jim: i like the idea of stuffing in some small pieces to fill in the large hole that i'm fixated about. i think i'll call it "cushioning"
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:36 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Learn Bank and Yank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claybuster
Sarge,
I know you guys have done alot of rudder mods by making them larger. I have done the basic rudder mod and I'm thinking about making the rudder area larger by just sandwiching two pieces of 1/64" ply and gluing it to the stock foam rudder.I think this would be a quick and easy mod,no taking the rudder off at all. My question is ,How much larger should it be? I fly in a field that is kinda small, a few soccer fields.
Mike
In the meantime, learn Bank and Yank. If you roll the ES a little with the rudder, then release the rudder and pull back hard on the stick, it will turn very sharply, in my experience.
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:35 AM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Sarge,
Mike
Mike, Good idea. Looks good to me.

With a little extra work it's nice to follow the original lines of the stock rudder (being wider at the bottom near the horn then tapering). Anybody can glue a credit card on a rudder. Take a little more time and make it look nice. I would say mine is about 3 times the size of the stock rudder. You can see my overlays of the old/new rudder in earlier posts and compare.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:48 AM
Iowa
Joined Oct 2001
595 Posts
canopy mod

i haven't seen (or have missed) this type of a mod to the canopy. i did it because my hands are fairly big and found it difficult to get access into the front of the nose.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 02:39 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
That has to weaken the nose a lot I think.
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Jun 24, 2006, 04:00 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Tomorrow I will toss my Easy Star for the first time. I want to try a power off toss in some tall grass first,is this a good idea? Also will the Multiplex 78mm cog be ok? Ive heard that this is too far back and 74 or 75 is better.I just want to go through my pre-flight check list and make sure these things are correct so the Easy doesn't end up like a couple of other maiden disasters I've had. Oh yeah, I will remember to charge the batteries.
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old Jun 24, 2006, 04:19 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
YMMV, but I always like a power off toss into soft/tall grass. Conventional wisdom says 75mm is better than the manual's 78. Check the direction of flight control surfaces. Buena suerte!
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Jun 24, 2006, 05:30 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Jun 2006
236 Posts
Thanx "Sarge" for the servo mounting pics-will help me greatly as I prepare for that soon. "Claybuster", God Speed on the grass toss or maybe you'll just giv'er anyhow-either way-let us know the results.
Like I mentioned yesterday if you want more insight on C.O.G. discussions visit the old thread #2. Good info and dialogue between "old pilot","zoom zoom", "tree top". "jcosta" (the dude from Portugal)
On my end great success with canopy mod-tried the velcro method first but wasn't happy with the hold-down power.Installed tiny magnets, just two at rear sill area and WOW; it basically snaps right into place-also did the "tongue depressor"addition to the front to aid in stay where you capability. Mags are the cat's A**. Have read a few incidents where batteries EJECT during flight-could ruin your day!!!
Hey; I'm in no hurry as you can tell to finnish-we basically have no summer up here yet!! Can you waterproof an EASY??? Nite guys.
"TIMBITS" is offline Find More Posts by "TIMBITS"
Old Jun 24, 2006, 05:51 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Tomorrow I will toss my Easy Star for the first time. I want to try a power off toss in some tall grass first,is this a good idea? Also will the Multiplex 78mm cog be ok? Ive heard that this is too far back and 74 or 75 is better.I just want to go through my pre-flight check list and make sure these things are correct so the Easy doesn't end up like a couple of other maiden disasters I've had. Oh yeah, I will remember to charge the batteries.
Mike
These planes come out out of the same mould and everybody starts with the same parts. Built per instructions the COG should be around 78mm. Those running 74mm have fouled something up during the build process most likely in the tail feathers and/or fuse boom alignment. Well anyways... in the end you gotta put balance point where ya gotta put it.

Sarge
Old Jun 24, 2006, 05:59 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMBITS
Like I mentioned yesterday if you want more insight on C.O.G. discussions visit the old thread #2. Good info and dialogue between "old pilot","zoom zoom", "tree top". "jcosta" (the dude from Portugal)
A shortened version of COG and trim information is here. It should be enough to help folks get started. I can provide clarification or updates if needed.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6&postcount=74

Sarge
Old Jun 24, 2006, 07:25 PM
Whaddya Mean, I Procrastinate?
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,486 Posts
Quote:
Mike
Mike:

Rutat has it on the button regarding C.G. ( 75mmm ) and control surface direction of movement. I would also suggest, with power off, to throw it level or pitched downward a whisker, otherwise it will likely stall. Your trims will want to be neutral, and if all is built square and straight it will do a nice soft landing about 25 ft. / 8 meters away.

Good luck on your maiden,

Russ
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
RCG Plus Member