HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 12:31 AM
Joined Jun 2007
122 Posts
Question
ngh gt17 or dle 20 or what?

Hi guys, so I want to switch my nitro big stick 60 to gas. Im looking for an engine between 15 and 20cc. The two contenders I have really come down to are:

ngh GT17:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=64175

Its less expensive but I think is lower quality than the dle 20. Its a little smaller but I cant find the actual weight of the engine.

dle 20:
http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/d...FUKCMgodknwAGA

I feel better about this one because the company that produces them is in the US (I know they arent made here) Its bigger and probably heavier but I think its built better by what ive heard. It is also quite a bit more expensive

Does anyone have either of these engines? I'd love to know what peoples real feedback is on them!
foamie crasher is offline Find More Posts by foamie crasher
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 07:06 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,673 Posts
I've run the evo 15gx and currently have the vvrc20cc on my .60 sized stick. I use the stick converted as a tail dragger as a beater plane to break in gas engines. The 15gx flys it just fine and powers the stick like you would expect it to be. Still gives you a pretty wide flight envelope. The 20cc gives you unlimited vertical, naturally, and is pretty fast. I had to add a 1x4 spacer under the main gear to get the prop clearance I needed. In both cases it took about an ounce and a half of tail weight to balance it. It flys great and still floats in for its landing. I made a hatch on the top fore deck for easy access to the tank area. For the 15gx, this gave me an exit for the ignition module, for the 20cc an exit for fuel lines. Both ignition modules are powered by a tech-aero ibec (ignition battery eliminator circuit). This powers and provides a switch for the ignition modules and gives four layers of noise filtering. I have four of these ibec's with no failures. Great for .60 sized planes.

I'll be running a dle20ra in it pretty soon.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Today, 07:17 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,148 Posts
The Evolution 15GX may be a better choice over the NGH 17cc engine. Both of these engines are pretty much a drop in replacement for a glow engine. You might have to redrill the motor mount screws, but maybe not either. The throttle servo linkage will likely fit without changing anything.

The DLE 20 is a good engine, but with the rear carb, you will have to change things to get it to fit and to hook up the throttle linkage.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Today, 07:32 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,673 Posts
Oh yeah, good catch. I forgot about the carb linkage on that 20cc. I had to make a longer arm to clear the tank.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Today, 10:48 AM
Joined Jun 2007
122 Posts
Okay there is a contender too. It just seems like the evolution is just as heavy as the dle 20. Also I don't like that the 15gt is regulated by muffler pressure like a nitro engine, does this make it hard to run longer fuel lines and bigger tanks?
foamie crasher is offline Find More Posts by foamie crasher
Old Today, 02:05 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,405 Posts
There's a couple of downsides to not having a conventional pumper carb. The biggest to me is you are forced into paying attention to glow procedures when placing the fuel tank. With a pumped carb, you can put it anywhere, but it will generally work out best when placed near your CG. That means no CG change from full to empty tank, making room for your ign. module where the glow fuel tank location used to be, and often leaving enough room for your throttle servo up there as well.

That in mind, the 15 will be updated to a different carb, with pump, due in any time now from what I hear. That's not going to make it any lighter though.

From a power to weight standpoint, it's still all about the DLE 20......
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks