HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2014, 05:09 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Oct 2014
25 Posts
Discussion
Transmitter batteries

I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I am looking for the best bang for my buck in terms of reliable AA batteries for my DX5e that is for my Apprentice. Preferably batteries that come in bulk in a large pack (24 pack for example).

I am also looking to move up to the DX6i in the near future so I'll need some good ones for that too.

What do you guys recommend?
pilot2fly is online now Find More Posts by pilot2fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2014, 05:31 PM
RC Warjet
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2013
757 Posts
Sanyo Eneloops, best NiMh battery value on the market. I buy mine from Amazon, can buy anywhere from 4 to 32.
Warjet1950 is offline Find More Posts by Warjet1950
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2014, 05:39 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,953 Posts
What WarJet wrote.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Oct 18, 2014, 05:50 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,246 Posts
It sounds as though the OP wants to use non rechargeable Alkaline cells. If so , any one of the stores such as Sam's Club, Costco would be a good place to buy the larger packs of Alkalines, my choice for throw away batteries is Energizers which I buy in the 36 pack from Home Depot, since where I live we don't have the big memberships club stores anywhere nearby.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Oct 18, 2014, 05:57 PM
RC Warjet
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2013
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
It sounds as though the OP wants to use non rechargeable Alkaline cells. If so , any one of the stores such as Sam's Club, Costco would be a good place to buy the larger packs of Alkalines, my choice for throw away batteries is Energizers which I buy in the 36 pack from Home Depot, since where I live we don't have the big memberships club stores anywhere nearby.
Pete
Agree if the DX-5 doesn't have a charge port, but if it does, then the Eneloops will be way more cost-effective, plus you can't tell when the alkalines are going to give out (very little warning). The DX6I has a charge port, so Eneloops are definitely best for that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2014, 08:10 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,593 Posts
Pilot2fly,

The dx5e DOES have a charge port on the right side. You CAN use rechargeable batteries in the radio. If you do then Eneloops are the way to go. But, you will then need to buy a charger to plug into the dx5e. A WORD OF CAUTION HERE. The charge port of the dx5e is CENTER PIN NEGATIVE. Meaning it is reverse of most transmitters. If you go this route you have to make sure the chargers output plug is CENTER PIN NEGATIVE. This can be a hassle if you don't buy a Spektrum wall charger.

OR, you can buy the Eneloops and just get a simple four battery charger, which you most likely will find where you buy the Eneloops, and just take your batteries out when they need charging. This seams the easiest for you.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Oct 18, 2014, 09:36 PM
RC Warjet
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2013
757 Posts
There are a couple sellers on the auction site who sell 4 Eneloops with a charger for $18. Might check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
Pilot2fly,

The dx5e DOES have a charge port on the right side. You CAN use rechargeable batteries in the radio. If you do then Eneloops are the way to go. But, you will then need to buy a charger to plug into the dx5e. A WORD OF CAUTION HERE. The charge port of the dx5e is CENTER PIN NEGATIVE. Meaning it is reverse of most transmitters. If you go this route you have to make sure the chargers output plug is CENTER PIN NEGATIVE. This can be a hassle if you don't buy a Spektrum wall charger.

OR, you can buy the Eneloops and just get a simple four battery charger, which you most likely will find where you buy the Eneloops, and just take your batteries out when they need charging. This seams the easiest for you.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:11 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,188 Posts
Costco would be worth a look as well. I saw some nice Eneloop kits at my local (So. Cal.) Costco last month that included 8AA, 4AAA, and the newer charger that has 4 independent charge circuits for ~$30. Really tough to beat that and downright impossible when they have a coupon.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2014, 07:50 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,593 Posts
Mark,
I also saw the Eneloops and charger package at Costco here in Mich. Great deal.
Tom
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Oct 19, 2014, 05:01 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,188 Posts
Eneloops at Costco...

Just went by my local Costco this afternoon and snapped the below photo and I must correct myself. The current kit they're offering comes with 14 Eneloops (10AA and 4AAA) and a very nice charger (BQ-CC17) with 4 independent ports and delta-V termination on each of the 4 ports. All for $29.99 USD.

Interestingly, this exact same kit is >$40 from Amazon resellers. Item # is the same so it seems that folks are buying from Costco and then reselling via Amazon. The charger alone is $15 from Amazon.

At $30, it's a great deal and an even better bargain when they run their ~$5 coupon.

Cheers,
Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2014, 05:07 PM
RC Warjet
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2013
757 Posts
All the Eneloops I've purchased had white covering, made by Sanyo. Wonder if there's any difference?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2014, 05:19 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,188 Posts
The white ones were discontinued a few years ago. The newest 4th generation cells are improved and are claimed to be able to be recharged up to 2100 times and have better capacity retention. The original white cells were stated to be able to withstand 1000 cycles. It's all the same to me though as I'll never even get to 500 cycles, let alone 1000 or 2100.

I still have ~70 of the 1st generation white AA and AAA cells from 2005 and all are performing wonderfully. Never lost a single cell.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2014, 05:40 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,953 Posts
Eneloop Evolution

FYI:

1st Generation:
Release date: November 2005
Nomenclature: HR-4UTG (AAA) and HR-3UTG (AA)
Capacity (listed as "Typical"): 800mAh (AAA) and 2000mAh (AA)
Recharge cycles: 1000 times
LSD Characteristics: Retain 75% charge after 1 year
2nd Generation:
Release date: May 2010
Nomenclature: HR-3UTGA (AA) and HR-4UTGA (AAA)
Capacity (listed as "Minimum"): 750mAh (AAA) and 1900mAh (AA)
Recharge cycles: 1500 times
LSD Characteristics: Retain 85% charge after 1 year, 75% after 2 years
3rd Generation:
Release date: October 2011
Nomenclature: HR-3UTGB (AA) and HR-4UTGB (AAA)
Recharge cycles: 1800 times
LSD Characteristics: Retain 90% charge after 1 year, 80% after 2 years, 75% after 5 years
4th Generation (also branded Panasonic instead of Eneloop):
Release date: April 2013
Nomenclature: BK-3MCC (AA) and BK-4MCC (AAA)
Recharge cycles: 2100 times
LSD Characteristics: Retain 90% charge after 1 year, 80% after 2 years, 75% after 5 years
Pete

** Like Mark, I have lots of 1st Generation packs & individual cells that still act like they're new. I have killed a couple of cells, though, but it was from blunt force trauma.

rePete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Last edited by PGR; Oct 19, 2014 at 05:51 PM.