HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2014, 08:30 PM
Joined May 2008
141 Posts
Discussion
Tree racing: 5.8GHz or other?

I'm brand new to "real" quads [only fooled with toy grades to this point]. I'm trying to learn all I need for a racing FPV 250 quad. The problem is, I'm getting somewhat mixed info. On one end, it seemed 5.8 was the way to go for AV. Yet, I see videos saying you'll lose signal flying thru the trees with 5.8. Then I see a video saying that all 5.8 is not created equally (see video starting 1:23), saying that other than ImmerseRC/FatShark, the others operate on a larger range of frequencies preventing more than 3 models to be flown in the same area without video signal interference. If you go with 2.4GHz, you can fly around a building if you wanted to, but your antennas get larger and they don't play well with 2.4 controllers. I've seen plenty of vids of 5-8 quads racing, partly thru trees, with small antennas. I don't know what to believe.

So, if I want fly a fast 250 sized quad FPV and make it go into the trees a bit (not a half mile into dense forest), will I be good with a 5.8GHz system? And what is dude talking about in that video as far as limited simultanous flowm models?

Thanks
metoo is offline Find More Posts by metoo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:09 PM
Team WarpSquad
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
2,616 Posts
There are Trees and there are trees. Not all are the same. If no foliage, just trucks, then 5.8GHz does ok. If heavy foliage, dense pines or other evergreens then it does take many to totally block 5.8GHz.
I fly through and on the 'other side' of trees without a lot of problems. I drop get some drop out and noise in the video but not enough to not be able to keep flying. Good antennas are a big help and I have a lot less issues with the new antenna I put on my mini-H.

A much better place to read up on the different video frequencies is the fpvLAB forum.
waltr is offline Find More Posts by waltr
Old Sep 25, 2014, 09:09 AM
Canada, ON, Muskoka District Municipality
Joined Dec 2005
369 Posts
I bashed my head on the wall for weeks about this. I was set to get 1.3Ghz, but 1 more internet search revealed issues with FrSky 2.4GHz (and ONLY FrSky). You can get a notch filter for other 2.4GHz radio systems. 1.3GHz will pretty much go through anything (within reason of course). Some mess with GPS' though (which the notch filter should help as well).

I started to look at 900MHz but the antennas are massive and the transmitters/receivers are old technology. Plus I think I read they have leakage and mess with FrSky as well!

So in the end I just bought 5.8GHz (ImmersionRC 600mW). I did a walk around my 1,400 sq ' wood framed cottage (with heavy insulation) and the signal was good all the way around with a few bits of static. I haven't done a range test or flown around the pine trees I have yet, but so so far so good.

I also have the Blue beam ultra antenna set.

Ben
Fastrack is offline Find More Posts by Fastrack
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:40 AM
Joined Jun 2008
965 Posts
5.8 then later when you know a bit more go to another frequency. 1.3 has its issues and so does 5.8

and a bit of vid. all flying with scew planer and clover combo on 5.8 in a residential area where these noise floor of 5.8 as quit high.

race groupish fly (3 min 49 sec)

gimbal testing (2 min 10 sec)

gimbal testing (2 min 10 sec)
dogz85 is offline Find More Posts by dogz85
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ESC's for multies
Old Sep 25, 2014, 01:08 PM
Team WarpSquad
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
2,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogz85 View Post
5.8 then later when you know a bit more go to another frequency. 1.3 has its issues and so does 5.8

and a bit of vid. all flying with scew planer and clover combo on 5.8 in a residential area where these noise floor of 5.8 as quit high.

https://vimeo.com/106473722

https://vimeo.com/107131272

https://vimeo.com/107131272
Are these videos from the 5.8GHz down link? If not then they are not much help to be posted here.
What needs to be posted is a recording from the vRX output so the OP can see what the video in the goggles would look like when trees get between the quad and the ground station.
waltr is offline Find More Posts by waltr