HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2014, 02:01 PM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
175 Posts
Discussion
Amati Dorade Yacht

Does anybody know of a build thread for the Amati Dorade Yacht, I'm thinking about buying one that I would like to make into an RC sailboat. Sites that sell it mention RC'ing it but I've not found any information on doing it. I've not been able to find a manual, which might help me in my decision.
Thanks in advance - Jim CJ #503
jimhurley is online now Find More Posts by jimhurley
Last edited by jimhurley; Aug 25, 2014 at 09:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2014, 06:35 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,054 Posts
Hi Jim,

If you build light, which, once you've sealed the hull with glasscloth and epoxy, means removing all material from the hull that's not absolutely necessary, you'll still have a light weather sailor, unless you add a (removable) fin with a bulb, the bulb will carry the lead which would otherwise be in the keel.
This way the boat will gain sufficient righting moment to sail in just about any wind force you'll through at it.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:34 AM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
175 Posts
RC'ing Amati Dorade

Thanks Jan,
I figured that would be the case, that is why I'm trying to find someone that has already done it. I have a Canterbury J and their hulls are pretty scale. They improve the righting moment by deepening the keel over what would be scale. I believe they can handle 15-20 knots with the A rig, but I haven't sailed mine in that much wind and I suspect that that's pushing it. The keel on the J doesn't distract from the overall look of the boat.
I'm thinking that one could fashion a lead extension to the keel that would follow the hull form, which would improve the boat's capabilities. As I said I don't even know how much sail it carries, but scale sail area seems to be about 1000-1100 square inches. Pictures of the actual boat today show it sailing with a fairly large jib. The Canterbury J carries 900 inches of sail and the beam to length ratio between the two boats is pretty close. The other information I'm missing is mast height, which would give me another value to compare.
Jim
Old Aug 28, 2014, 02:01 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,054 Posts
Hi Jim,

As Aerominded mentioned in the other thread, the 36 cm difference in size (and weight) is very much worlds apart compared to a Canterbury J...

If you want the model to sail properly and handle a stiff breeze, just adding lead following the keel shape won't cut it.
I'd build in a keelbox, in which you can stick a profiled fin keel with a bulb, like the IOM or Marblehead class.

Being removable you can experiment with depth and bulb weight to get sufficient righting moment in all kinds of weather and still have a gorgeous looking model on the shelf.

If the water you sail in is clear, use Plexiglass or Lexan for a fin and paint the bulb the color of the bottom of the pond, very few people will notice the fin and bulb...

If you scroll down in this link, there's a sailing model of the Dorade made by German builders, it looks bigger than the Amati kit though...:
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/10/...b/08/index.htm
This is their website: http://www.die-scharbaums.de/

Here's the model sailing: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Gal...k/Gallery9.htm
The sheer size (or better, lack of it) makes it a light weather boat without an added fin and bulb.

As the kit comes with an ABS hull, converting it to RC should not be too difficult.
I was under the assumption it was a plank on frame hull which would make making it RC a bit more complicated.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Last edited by pompebled; Aug 28, 2014 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Addition.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 02:39 PM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
175 Posts
RC'ing Amati Dorade

Jan,
Thank you again for the information, the links that you provided are very welcome. It looks like the last link takes me to someone who has built the kit and is RC sailing it. I'm going to try to get in touch with him and see what he did.
Jim
Old Aug 28, 2014, 05:19 PM
Portland Oregon
United States, OR, Tigard
Joined Apr 2014
109 Posts
Jim,

I know nothing about the Amati "Dorade" but I bought their Grand Banks model and have figured out that I am going to have to build a new hull, the fiberglass hull in the kit is just way too HEAVY! The hull floats right on the water line with nothing in it, I think that it was never really intended to be an RC model just a static model judging by the weight of some of the components. Every thing else in the kit was very nice but some of it is cast out something like concrete. Seat cushions, the Zodiac and other things.

Andre
Andre Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Andre Anderson
Old Aug 28, 2014, 08:18 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,634 Posts
I'm not sure how a planked hull is "more complicated." That hull could very easily be planked in balsa and epoxied with all the frames pulled out leaving a very light hull about 1/8" thick.

CaptMSR's schooner, Son of Erin, is about that size, built as I mentioned, and sails in open water and all sorts of wind. It has lead shot cast in epoxy for ballast incorporated into the keel and no other fin.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd