HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2014, 04:09 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,427 Posts
Discussion
Product Review- Ikea Jansjo table top task light

I was wandering around the Ikea store the other day looking for some manner of divine inspiration on some furniture issues when I happened upon this trim and inexpensive little table light.

The Jansjo light is compact with a 4 3/4 inch round base and a high intensity LED head that is a hair under 1 3/8 inch in diameter. The two parts are connected by a flexible spiral wound metal gooseneck.

The on-off switch is normally inline. But I chose to drill and attach the switch to the base's plastic cover so it was more accessible in my intended work bench application. You can see pictures of this. The extra cord simply being coiled around the base of the gooseneck to get it out of the way.

The power for this unit is a fairly compact 12 volt supply that is roughly the same sort of size as a cell phone or similar charger.

In use the light is very bright and nicely even. Hopefully you can see this in the picture where I lit up the user instructions with a ruler laid across the paper. That's an 11 inch diameter lit area with the head about 12 inches away from the paper.

In the last picture I'm showing it bent around to shine on the front side of a small piece of steel that I've set up for filing. I often find that this side with any markings is shadowed by the typical over head lighting. This little task light makes it easy to put a good amount of light onto the job for easy viewing while not getting into the way.

Cost here in Canada was only $11. So I'm going to guess that it'll be a little less in the US.

I don't know about most of you but with old age I'm finding that both reading glasses and flashlights are sprouting up all over the place so I can see what I'm trying to do. The little Ikea Jansjo light is very much like a compact LED flashlight which does not run down any batteries and comes with a handy third hand to hold it neatly in place. I bought two of them and I'll likely buy a couple more when I'm back out that way.

And here's some pictures to help you with the description.... Sorry about the first one being sideways. I rotated and saved the file in a picture editor but apparently the RCG software doesn't like portrait format photos.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2014, 04:39 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,134 Posts
That nifty little light comes in a variety of styles and colours on feebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...Jansjo&_sop=15

I have a couple on the way, Thank you.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Jun 02, 2014, 04:59 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,427 Posts
Handy! I notice that they are sneaking in the shipping cost in the price though. $12 for direct in store shopping and $19 with "free shipping" when you buy through Fleabay.

The USB version would sure be handy for those two finger typists out there though....
Old Jun 03, 2014, 09:15 AM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
463 Posts
I was getting ready to place an order on AmaZn and decided to search for "LED USB lamps" and got several hits. The one I ordered was $8 with Prime/free shipping.

"That's just my two-cents."
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Whining (not winning)
Old Jun 03, 2014, 12:21 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,427 Posts
Lest we get side tracked the idea of this thread was a lamp which I found to be better for my work bench needs rather than lighting up my computer.

By the way, I intended to add in to the original post that although I used two teeny tiny 3/16 long #2 counter sunk plastic screws salvaged from old tape cassettes one could just as easily use a strip of double sided foam tape or something like RTV silicone glue or epoxy to stick the switch to the base.
Old Jun 04, 2014, 09:08 AM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
463 Posts
Oops, sorry. I was just trying to be helpful with an alternative.
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Whining (not winning)
Old Jun 04, 2014, 04:32 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,427 Posts
Raymond, sorry if that last one came across a little snarky. It wasn't really my intent but apparently my fingers decided otherwise. Or maybe I was just tired.

The thing is that the USB lights require a computer or other USB power source. That's fine for lighting up a keyboard in the dark or a paper copy off to the side of the 'puter. But it's not much good for a task light on a work bench. For that we need a wall plug friendly power source and a heavy base like this one or a clip like the other 115V version has.
Old Jun 04, 2014, 06:47 PM
Breaker of Things
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2011
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
Raymond, sorry if that last one came across a little snarky. It wasn't really my intent but apparently my fingers decided otherwise. Or maybe I was just tired.

The thing is that the USB lights require a computer or other USB power source. That's fine for lighting up a keyboard in the dark or a paper copy off to the side of the 'puter. But it's not much good for a task light on a work bench. For that we need a wall plug friendly power source and a heavy base like this one or a clip like the other 115V version has.
I have at least a dozen USB wall warts that have showed up over the years. I'm pretty sure they multiply over time. Two of them are dedicated power sources for two LED light arrays (one powers an LED ring fixture on my CNC router, the other a 5 Watt spot light that is a great work light).

To be fair, they don't have nice heavy bases, and the 5 watt spot is largely a DIY thing, but for me that's also largely the appeal.
elbowdonkey is online now Find More Posts by elbowdonkey
Old Jun 05, 2014, 02:56 PM
stop making sense
Joined Feb 2014
128 Posts
I have one of these but I wouldn't mind having at least one more, very helpful and usable.
hallo is offline Find More Posts by hallo
Old Jun 05, 2014, 06:04 PM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
Hallo, your work surface is too clean...... please get to work and dirty it up! :-)

Actually, I appreciate that kind of cleanliness myself. It sure makes it easier to find those lost parts!
ma_mulcahy is offline Find More Posts by ma_mulcahy
Old Jun 05, 2014, 07:08 PM
stop making sense
Joined Feb 2014
128 Posts
Hehe, it's so true

When I'm in building mode.. I think probably most creative people know what that is, writers have an expression for it, you see your goal right in front of you even though it's miles away and you are just really eager to find out what this will become like and things gets messy real quick.

The thing is that I really hate when things starts to fall over because I make a quick turn and there is no space left on my workbench even though it should provide generous workspace, and that was soldering acid all over the place..

tk
hallo is offline Find More Posts by hallo
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:44 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,325 Posts
I have a couple of these,similar but with a clip.Indispensable as far as I'm concerned!
The first one was purchased about 3years ago.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jun 11, 2014, 02:04 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,427 Posts
For my setup the clip style won't be that great for my benches. But I can see a clip version being SUPER handy as a clamp on for the lathe and other machine tool setups where I want light from some oddball position that the overhead or flex arm lights can't reach. Especially for the cases where I want to see things closely along the lighting axis. The small 1 1/4 inch head makes this easy.

Yep, I can see buying a half dozen of them for myself. And likely another half dozen as Christmas presents for all my old blind friends....

It may seem like a joke to those of you with young guy eyes. But at 61 years old now I've had a dozen or so pairs of 1.5x reading glasses AND a roughly equal number of the new LED flashlights scattered around the house and shop for the last 5 years.

As I've gotten older I find not only is the close up stuff fuzzy now but looking into some dim recess is just about impossible to see with any detail. So handy little flashlights or the new cheap to buy head band LED flashlights that work well are almost as important as a sharp Xacto blade.... OK, scratch that "almost" part.... These two things are AS important as a good sharp Xacto blade.