Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:27 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Hey Vantasstic.
Yes, I just got it today. Can't wait to don my bling bling around my neck at the field and show all the other fliers my RC fashion statement.
Honestly though, its not quite as f-ugly as in the pictures.
I'm just looking forward to finally having ER9X and access to 12 channels. I need to find a way to hang my Dragon Link to it. Anyone out there find a good solution for this yet?
I ordered the HK USB cable today, but I will hopefully see you on the 12th, long before I get it in the mail. Maybe I should send the radio ahead to give you a head start since we will be short on time.
I look forward to seeing it. You can send it to me in advance if you want...but I don't think it'll be that much in advance. Installing the firmware doesn't take but a few minutes...as long as my cable and dongle work....which looks like it should.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:55 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
9XR gimbal wiring (0 min 9 sec)

When I opened up the radio I noticed this. I secured those 2 wires with a zip tie to stop the one from flexing the connector and pins.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:37 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
http://youtu.be/HXggUh7sY7E

When I opened up the radio I noticed this. I secured those 2 wires with a zip tie to stop the one from flexing the connector and pins.
that seems like a must fix for all users..... good catch
ScottSails is online now Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:48 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,960 Posts
This means an epic failure... this radio... seeing this after the mode change issue previous page.
Now I know what means "Hextronic made this !"
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:49 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,331 Posts
Indeed!

What about rerouting the cable like this?

There seems to be a hole already in place in the throttle ratchet.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3373
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Last edited by Julez; Jan 06, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:06 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,304 Posts
If anyone comes up with a creative way to mount a LRS TX (ie Dragon Link) on this radio, please post some photos. Those two screw holes on the back open up some possibilities. I'll have to take the radio to the hardware store and see if I can find a screw that will thread in there. The big ugly plastic handle is too far forward to mount to.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:09 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,699 Posts
That kind of flexing broke a solder joint off the aileron gimbal in my 9x. Bad design. As nice as these radios are for the price, and I love 'em, they are not trustworthy for expensive models. I was a Turnigy beleiver until I had the dead gimbal, that was my warning.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:31 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
If anyone comes up with a creative way to mount a LRS TX (ie Dragon Link) on this radio, please post some photos. Those two screw holes on the back open up some possibilities. I'll have to take the radio to the hardware store and see if I can find a screw that will thread in there. The big ugly plastic handle is too far forward to mount to.
The holes take M3 screws (3mm)
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:22 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,375 Posts
Quote:
Iskess...what's the distance between the screw holes? Are they just holes or threaded? I've got a cr@p Tx sitting here that'll never be used and I've been to cheap to throw it away. It has a metal bar handle on it. The spacing looks to be ~96mm. It's wider than my 9X handle. If it'll fit the 9XR we might be able to work out a deal...for One MILLION dollars!!!!!
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:31 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Iskess...what's the distance between the screw holes? Are they just holes or threaded? I've got a cr@p Tx sitting here that'll never be used and I've been to cheap to throw it away. It has a metal bar handle on it. The spacing looks to be ~96mm. It's wider than my 9X handle. If it'll fit the 9XR we might be able to work out a deal...for One MILLION dollars!!!!!
The holes are 52mm apart (from center of each hole) & they are threaded as already stated, M3 & have metal threads.

nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:39 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebstress View Post
You don't get a reply, if you don't want the default size you just leave a message telling them the size you want:

Code:
Optional Length
4"(10cm)
6"(15cm) default
8"(20cm)
12"(30cm)
Ok thanks I did place the order for 10 cm
Now awaiting for this cable and from HK the FrSky DIY unit.
Can't wait to solder
Yihaaa is offline Find More Posts by Yihaaa
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:52 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
That would work but you would have to use new wires. The existing one isn't long enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
Indeed!

What about rerouting the cable like this?

There seems to be a hole already in place in the throttle ratchet.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3373
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:13 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
This means an epic failure... this radio... seeing this after the mode change issue previous page.
Now I know what means "Hextronic made this !"
Regardless, this particular issue seems like a step backward if this radio is intended for the masses - not a hard fix but certainly not one that most people will want to address by themselves (and it does need to get fixed). Hopefully they fix it in next run.

Scott
ScottSails is online now Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:47 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,474 Posts
It looks like the cable is a bit too short..
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:03 PM
The Ottoman Flyer
USA, TX, Galveston
Joined May 2010
152 Posts
Hmm I just cancelled my order on the 9xr. I think I'm going to wait and see what types of problems that are going to pop up over time before I re make my order.

Join me at the RCGroups Chat!
Ottomite is offline Find More Posts by Ottomite