HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2011, 07:18 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,084 Posts
I just got the email today from FMA on the MPA. Looks like I'm buying one as soon as the web site confirms that they are on the shelf. It will sure clear up a lot of clutter on my bench when I charge my lipos. The 1S connectors were a nice touch.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:28 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblebee View Post
I just got the email today from FMA on the MPA. Looks like I'm buying one as soon as the web site confirms that they are on the shelf. It will sure clear up a lot of clutter on my bench when I charge my lipos. The 1S connectors were a nice touch.
Hi:

You must have missed the first one that went out on 12/16/11 then?

http://www.revolectrix.com/new_appli...t12.16.11.html

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:30 PM
Free State of Lavaca
Joined Nov 2006
888 Posts
just curious - can you 1s off of a deans w/o a balance connection? Not all 1s are micro...

I guess I am just trying to figure out what adapter would be needed. I know assumptions are dangerous. I don't know if the 1s pack can be charged as a "balanced" pack without connecting to the balanced lead (or if it would have to be charged as an unbalanced pack with an amp limit). Likewise, if I had to have a balanced lead, I don't know if I could make an adapter and grab either the first 2 of the jst pins or the outer two and cheat.
chainlink is offline Find More Posts by chainlink
Last edited by chainlink; Jan 03, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:02 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,701 Posts
Tim can verify but I expect the answer is yes.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:44 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainlink View Post
just curious - can you 1s off of a deans w/o a balance connection? Not all 1s are micro...

I guess I am just trying to figure out what adapter would be needed. I know assumptions are dangerous. I don't know if the 1s pack can be charged as a "balanced" pack without connecting to the balanced lead (or if it would have to be charged as an unbalanced pack with an amp limit). Likewise, if I had to have a balanced lead, I don't know if I could make an adapter and grab either the first 2 of the jst pins or the outer two and cheat.
Hi:

Yes, the preferred method would be to connect to one of the Deans. The Deans are not related to the balance ports in any way. You'd need to use an unbalanced preset if using a Revolectrix charger/battery workstation.

Tim Marks
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:07 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,586 Posts
Any idea when these will start shipping? My order still says "Pending Fulfillment".
HansAuf is offline Find More Posts by HansAuf
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:10 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,084 Posts
I got an email yesterday stating that my order has been shipped. Just waiting for the post office.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Jan 2002
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansAuf View Post
Any idea when these will start shipping? My order still says "Pending Fulfillment".
Hi,

Send an e-mail to jamie@fmadirect.com with your name and SO number. I will give you the best estimate I can as to when your order will ship based on where it sits in the queue.

Regards,
Jamie Marks
FMA Direct/REVO USA
Jamie Marks is offline Find More Posts by Jamie Marks
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:30 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,586 Posts
Thanks Jamie. Email sent.
HansAuf is offline Find More Posts by HansAuf
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:43 AM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,896 Posts
Count me as another Power Pole user that would like bare wires that I can just crimp the PP's on to before ever firing it up. I don't want to make 6 Deans to PP jumpers either.
aerosheldon is offline Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
Learnin mo ever day
United States, NJ, Tinton Falls
Joined Jul 2007
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
Count me as another Power Pole user that would like bare wires that I can just crimp the PP's on to before ever firing it up. I don't want to make 6 Deans to PP jumpers either.
Looks like converters are the only option now. that is what I am doing anyway. A bare wire option would be good.
wjbender is offline Find More Posts by wjbender
Last edited by wjbender; Jan 12, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:11 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Is there a limit in voltage difference using same cell count packs that can be connected? i.e if one 4s battery has 20% and a 2nd has 80% and both are connected to the board.
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:37 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
Is there a limit in voltage difference using same cell count packs that can be connected? i.e if one 4s battery has 20% and a 2nd has 80% and both are connected to the board.
Hello:

As far as the MPA goes, it won't be possible to cause any damage to the unit, the wiring, or the charger to which it is connected by intereconnecting batteries of vastly different charge states.

However, as far as the batteries go, it's a good idea for the packs to be of similar states of charge. There are a ton of threads in RCG and other forums that discuss this topic. Our observations have shown that no matter what the state of charge, the initial surge currents which flow from a "full" battery to a "dead" battery are not as large as one might think, and the duration of high-current, un-regulated "charging" generally fairly short; e.g., even at 80% and 20% states, you're likely looking at 10-20A for a few seconds, followed by 5A-10A for 1-3 minutes. Whether that's enough to damage your batteries depends on too many factors to discuss here. It seems obvious that a 10C-charge-capable LiPo could withstand it better than a 1C capable LiPo.

Most would agree that if the individual cells are within 0.1V, it's a good rule of thumb and safe for pretty much any LiPo battery, although that value could be a bit overly contstraining, in my opinion.

Hope this helps!

Tim Marks
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:47 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Thanks for your reply, It does help a bit, I understand about cell voltage being very close when not using you MPA.. This is what I do now.. And I always make sure my batteries are normally with-in 0.1v..
But the impression I got was if using your MPA it would limit the max cross flow between batteries to 1A anyway?? or have I got that wrong?
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:56 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
Thanks for your reply, It does help a bit, I understand about cell voltage being very close when not using you MPA.. This is what I do now.. And I always make sure my batteries are normally with-in 0.1v..
But the impression I got was if using your MPA it would limit the max cross flow between batteries to 1A anyway?? or have I got that wrong?
Hi:

Good question. The MPA will limit the flow of current on the balance wires to 1A, but as soon as you connect the main pack leads together, the current flow is only limited by the internal resistance of the batteries (which is very low, and varies from chemistry-to-chemistry). There is no other protection, thermal fuse or otherwise on your main pack leads. Current always chooses the path of least resistance.

So this is why the MPA will protect all of the balance wires, and your main pack wires will always be able to handle many times the current surge while the paralleled packs equalize. So the only remaining question is, how well can your LiPos tolerate, e.g., 5C or 10C charge for 1-3 minutes. I think most good quality LiPo these days won't break a sweat on it. So it's likely peoples' concern over this topic is over-stated, IMO.

Tim Marks