HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:34 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Thank you very much...its tricky getting them to spray correctly, mixing the paint just right, setting the needle, etc etc...hard to beat good ole spray cans, and that heavy overspray.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:44 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpoppy View Post
I have loved flying the Crack Yak 55 equipped with the TH 2206/12 amp ESC combo for several months, alternating between 2S and 3S. I installed heavy duty servos at the build, but the ESC didn't seem to mind. Recently however, both motor and servos sometimes completely die in midair and the plane noses into the ground. But by the time I walk over and pick it up, everything is working again as it should. My Spektrum AR6100 receiver is not flashing to indicate a signal interruption. Can the ESC deteriorate over time, or do I have a different problem here? Thanks for your help. Michael
I had a problem where I disconnected my orange rx to try out on another plane I was building. I didn't have a spare. When I reconnected the rx I got no arming, motor wouldn't turn, but had servo control. Since I didn't have an extra motor or esc to rule out one or the other I just bought new ones (figured I could use on a new build once I figured out which was bad). Turns out the esc had died. The odd thing is I had just flown the plane before I disconnected the rx.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:16 PM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpoppy View Post
....Recently however, both motor and servos sometimes completely die in midair and the plane noses into the ground. But by the time I walk over and pick it up, everything is working again as it should...
Is this happening when hovering or at maneuvers with full rudder deflections? I think the problem can be an overloaded BEC. That will thankfully shut down the motor also because the same power is feedeing the processor on the ESC.
The cause can maybe be a servo starting to get worn and pulling to much amperage.
A temporary solution should be to remove the shrink wrap of the ESC to give the chip better cooling.
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Last edited by Stark; Nov 25, 2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:56 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan5.0 View Post
Thank you very much...its tricky getting them to spray correctly, mixing the paint just right, setting the needle, etc etc...hard to beat good ole spray cans, and that heavy overspray.
I'm so used to a spray gun with a trigger that I try to use the airbrush that way. Need to really sit down and retrain my brain for airbrush use.

Looking forward to the new planes TH has in store for us. Getting the DX8 next month and I'm looking forward to it as well.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:52 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,004 Posts
OK guys, Crack lite or Crack Pitts? I have an Edge and running it on 3 cells- it's great! However it's getting a little tired. I've flown both the above and I'm torn.

Cody, I know where you stand (thanks for the test drives!). Just fishin!
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:20 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Kind of two different animals! IMO if its for mostly indoor no dout the crack yak lite. But if its for out doors, go with the pitts.and you dont hit the ground much and you have calm winds in your aera go with the yak light! I rtealy like a little heaver plane for the outdoors.
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:20 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,389 Posts
Looking at your current hanger I'd say the Pitts. It's just as fun to fly as the lite but sure looks and flys good outdoors. Or get both, I would have got the lite but I'm holding out for the mini.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:26 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
OK guys, Crack lite or Crack Pitts? I have an Edge and running it on 3 cells- it's great! However it's getting a little tired. I've flown both the above and I'm torn.

Cody, I know where you stand (thanks for the test drives!). Just fishin!
I like both (as well), but if having to chose on only one with 3s and outdoors I might lean towards the Pitts, but I do have a soft spot for the bipes. There is no denying the quickness of the lite Yak though, if that's the way you like to fly than maybe the Lite Yak is your best bet.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,004 Posts
Thanks guys, all good points.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:16 PM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
749 Posts
Hey guys I have a question that is not intended to offend, it's just one of those need to know philosophical and possible life changing inquiries. If you don't own a gymnasium or don't have private property that has no wind, then why are these micro/UMX/ planes so popular? Now that they come with the gyro's they fly great outdoors but what about all of the pre-gyro fliers? Do people buy long bed trucks with tall camper shells and fly in them? Do they construct those large revival tents and fly in them? I try to fly my 32"edge 540 in the wind and it simply blows away, and it is heavier than the UMX models.
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:56 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,389 Posts
Micros are how I started off flying first with the Champ then I progressed to the larger size planes. The smaller size helps when I can't carry one of my bigger planes. Have to be quick on the sticks so it helps me work on that as well. Granted any wind over 10mph isn't fun to fly in though it does keep you awake.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobar View Post
Hey guys I have a question that is not intended to offend, it's just one of those need to know philosophical and possible life changing inquiries. If you don't own a gymnasium or don't have private property that has no wind, then why are these micro/UMX/ planes so popular? Now that they come with the gyro's they fly great outdoors but what about all of the pre-gyro fliers? Do people buy long bed trucks with tall camper shells and fly in them? Do they construct those large revival tents and fly in them? I try to fly my 32"edge 540 in the wind and it simply blows away, and it is heavier than the UMX models.
You make a good point and one that I've argued. I started with a micro T 28 when getting back into the hobby and into electrics. Got bored really fast. Next purchase- a Real Flight 6 sim. GREAT investment! Next was the TH Edge and the rest is history- 8 months later and I'm considering a 30cc gasser but I digress. The sim will let you fly many different airplanes and adjust the wind up as high as you want. I'd go that route to get used to flying "anything" in the wind. The Edge can be a ball in 10-15 mph but you do have to get to a certain level before you are able to have "fun" doing it. The micros are, by design, for calm wind and indoor use. The new gyro equipped micros can handle a little wind but I would adjust your rates and expo on the TH Edge and practice, practice, practice. At over 10 mph anything under 5-6 lbs is going to be blown around. If you want to fly in the wind, use that EPP durability and some Welders (for when you crack it up not if) and go out in that wind. I really don't see any benefit in a micro trainer (MHO). I'd rather get someone a TH EPP and tone it down (lower rates with high expo) so they can gradually advance. It's working for my 6 year old daughter!
Bottom line- have fun not frustration. Try a sim. Hope this helps.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:56 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,039 Posts
Wind is your friend. Getting along with it is key to your success, so, it may make sense to choose a plane that can grow with you and fly in more situations than not. Just two cents worth... When you are flying IMAC, they won't be cancelling very many events due to winds in the 15-25 mph range. In those situations you'll notice some pilots are looking at those situations as opportunities to fly better wind corrected pattern than the others. If indoor 3D and pattern is your gig, you will have a different list of priorities in terms of plane, auw etc.... You'll have some fun regardless as long as your choice is a Twisted one!
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Nov 2012
80 Posts
Came home to my Edge 540 sitting on kitchen table!!! Can't wait to build!
Thumb Blisters is offline Find More Posts by Thumb Blisters
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:18 PM
Joined Nov 2012
80 Posts
Thought I would be able to use my charger for the batteries but they don't fit. Any opinions on a good yet cheap charger for the 2s twisted hobby batteries?
Thumb Blisters is offline Find More Posts by Thumb Blisters