SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 09, 2010, 07:09 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,519 Posts
OH dear , I learnt years ago better to far forward CG than rearward, I can recomend PU glues for foam breakage repairs ,adds very little weight plus an almost invisible repair and if you ever have to do another repair over the same area you dont have to do battle with rock hard other types of glue.
For that style of aircraft I do shoulder high glide tests first, then light power to see wether the thrustline of the motor is going to send it into orbit and make the needed adjustments ie downthrust or via TX to add a bit of down elevator under power.
What do think of the quality of the servo's and rest of the power system ?.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2010, 08:18 PM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
OH dear , I learnt years ago better to far forward CG than rearward, I can recomend PU glues for foam breakage repairs ,adds very little weight plus an almost invisible repair and if you ever have to do another repair over the same area you dont have to do battle with rock hard other types of glue.
For that style of aircraft I do shoulder high glide tests first, then light power to see wether the thrustline of the motor is going to send it into orbit and make the needed adjustments ie downthrust or via TX to add a bit of down elevator under power.
What do think of the quality of the servo's and rest of the power system ?.
Perhaps you can give us a good idea of where the CG is. It's a chore fitting the wings and then adjusting the battery pack. Perhaps it can be placed in the slot just beneath the wings actually for better balance. I placed it behind the motor the first time round.

nothing much to say about the servos, generic micro's. Did not do much tests on it. Does not appear to have centering issues at the moment.
Jack_Chen is offline Find More Posts by Jack_Chen
Old Aug 09, 2010, 10:51 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,519 Posts
I would try with the cg on the wing steel dowel first .
Old Aug 10, 2010, 08:06 PM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Hi to all Minimoa owners, it seems that the HK Minimoa glider is from Art-Tech or similar. Minimoa-Manual-EN.pdf

Recommended CG is 54mm from the leading edge.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:02 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,519 Posts
Doing a web search on art-tech I found it can also be bought with a 2.4g ready to fly and also a video clip.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 04:32 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
If the HK Minimoa flys anythink like the 1/3 scale Minimoa's in the video below it's going to be a delight to fly ......

Oh, and the Buzzards seem to get on with them great too ......

Minimoa & Ka-8 1/3 RC scale sail planes (4 min 55 sec)
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Aug 12, 2010, 04:50 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Are we to understand there is only meant to be one (1) wing joiner in the kit? ...... that is the 5.5mm x approx 250mm long aluminium rod in the photo below ? .......

I assumed there was one missing from my kit .......
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:50 AM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
Are we to understand there is only meant to be one (1) wing joiner in the kit? ...... that is the 5.5mm x approx 250mm long aluminium rod in the photo below ? .......

I assumed there was one missing from my kit .......
How many they gave you, because I only got 1.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:52 AM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
If the HK Minimoa flys anythink like the 1/3 scale Minimoa's in the video below it's going to be a delight to fly ......

Oh, and the Buzzards seem to get on with them great too ......
those are big!, I wonder how it was transported to the field in the first place.

They managed to take off from the grass too.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:10 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Chen View Post
those are big!, I wonder how it was transported to the field in the first place.

They managed to take off from the grass too.
I believe the full size is 17 mtrs so the video RC version must be approx 6 mtrs .....

big enough !!!!!
Old Aug 12, 2010, 02:18 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Chen View Post
How many they gave you, because I only got 1.
Just one for me also but it sure seems a good idea to have two ........
Old Aug 12, 2010, 03:28 PM
Princeton, NJ US Capitol in 1783
Joined Nov 2008
32 Posts
Back In Stock

I ordered mine two weeks ago when HobbyKing first announced the plane was in the warehouse, before they quickly ran out stock.

So I am following this thread like a hawk, waiting for the postman to deliver my Minimoa. In the meantime I have been flying my ST Model DG-1000 almost everyday, enjoying the hot summer thermals here in the northeast.

By the way, for those still interested, HobbyKing has just restocked the Minimoa. Hurry, hurry, hurry...
voodootv is offline Find More Posts by voodootv
Old Aug 12, 2010, 04:41 PM
Austin, TX, 78746
Joined Nov 2008
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodootv View Post
I ordered mine two weeks ago when HobbyKing first announced the plane was in the warehouse, before they quickly ran out stock.

So I am following this thread like a hawk, waiting for the postman to deliver my Minimoa. In the meantime I have been flying my ST Model DG-1000 almost everyday, enjoying the hot summer thermals here in the northeast.

By the way, for those still interested, HobbyKing has just restocked the Minimoa. Hurry, hurry, hurry...
Just ordered mine today. Tried to place order last week but hesitated and then they were gone.
donaldrtaylor is offline Find More Posts by donaldrtaylor
Old Aug 12, 2010, 06:01 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,519 Posts
I ordered I noticed there were 10 still left.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 06:13 PM
Joined Dec 2009
562 Posts
dont feel too bad jack

Second day report on my, I melted, yes MELTED the plastic mount the little outrunner sits on, I had to carefully pry the red plastic nose cone off, I used my dremel to cut all three tabs off and file it down, then I had to make a 1/4 inch plywood circle from 2/32 ply and put a turnigy 35/42/1000 inside it, oh and I had to do some clearance-ing to clear the back of the can and the wires, I will find out how this flies tomorrow,

PS I think running a giant 2 cell or small three cell wrapped in lead would have let the motor live, and still given good climb
cgoffa is offline Find More Posts by cgoffa