Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:47 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
If 24 is your magic number then you either don't have throttle channel set to 100% or trim/sub-trim neutral perfectly.

The reason for my post about 29-30% is based on mathematics
100% channel travel and 30% allowable throttle trim.

Not saying that's bad or wrong, just saying by default the TC value with trim centered is 29-30%.

Andy can comment on it with the detail specifics about this but I know what I said is correct, I hope.
Your right. 29 nails it here. I was using 24 and thought it was working. That could have been an accident waiting to happen.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:06 PM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Andy can comment on it with the detail specifics about this but I know what I said is correct, I hope.
Thank you FreeChip.

In this and other things I'm learning from you even when the problem you're solving isn't mine.
kevinrc is offline Find More Posts by kevinrc
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:46 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,611 Posts
I understand the percentages but I must have missed something. If it is an electric, why fly with throttle trim at neutral?

I set up with throttle trim fully down. And never move it. That way there are no surprises with the odd ESC resetting its low point if signal is interrupted and Throttle Cut just always goes to zero when switched. Is there something about this that isn't recommended?
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:02 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
I understand the percentages but I must have missed something. If it is an electric, why fly with throttle trim at neutral?

I set up with throttle trim fully down. And never move it. That way there are no surprises with the odd ESC resetting its low point if signal is interrupted and Throttle Cut just always goes to zero when switched. Is there something about this that isn't recommended?
Think you will just need to try on your ESCs. Only thing I can think of is it may take more throttle stick to actually get your ESC to start going (depending on its limits).
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:02 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,611 Posts
Shouldn't.

The critical thing with troublesome ESCs is the MINIMUM pulse length. By always using low trim on throttle you:
1) Ensure that minimum is 1 mS which any ESC will recognise.
2) You don't run into any issues with the minimum changing if the Tx sends a minimum pulse length (which some do if they reset or lose signal for a moment). Some auto ranging ESCs will then reset their low point and of course when signal returns, low stick is then partial throttle.
3) All modern ESCs will automatically set their range to match the pulse range of the throttle channel. That's why you set them up initially with full throttle then pull back to zero and wait for them to arm. That's how they calibrate themselves.

Maybe I'm missing something but I still don't see why you would use throttle trim on an electric. They don't need an idle adjustment.

[QjUOTE=wjs;23746869]Think you will just need to try on your ESCs. Only thing I can think of is it may take more throttle stick to actually get your ESC to start going (depending on its limits).[/QUOTE]
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:42 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
.<snip> Maybe I'm missing something but I still don't see why you would use throttle trim on an electric. They don't need an idle adjustment. <snip>
The default trim is neutral, I never personnall change it cause I don't need to on any of my models except for my E-Flite CX2.

I never said not to trim down or anything of that nature, I simply provided them with the proper TC value to use if like I mention throttle travel,trim,sub-trim are all at default value.

Some esc have no throttle calibration except for setting a specific throttle setting in the menu for example E-Flite esc. They all work with throttle trim neutral.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:41 AM
Germany, NDS, Uetze
Joined Jan 2013
18 Posts
Hello,

Are there any news about the switching behavior of the stick switches of DX10t stock? It would be great to have a "flip flop" behavior.

Regards,

Frank
Xantrix is offline Find More Posts by Xantrix
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:07 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,083 Posts
What are you asking, Frank? The 3-position toggle switches do exactly that.

As for a momentary switch that latches or cycles through logical values, it won't happen anytime soon. We have a strong directive that a switch must visually indicate it's state very easily. It would be a huge policy change to get away from that.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:37 AM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,424 Posts
Quote:
Yes. In acro Enable Throttle Cut from the Function List menu.

If you fly with trim neutral position then the value you will be looking for proper TC is 29-30$

Watch the Servo Monitor so the throttle channel does not move either way when you toggle T.C.
That seems to work nicely. I assigned it to the Gear1 switch which I am not otherwise using now, is there anything wrong with doing it this way? Once set to a switch is it a global setting or does each model have to be setup individually?

Just so I'm clear here, using this method on an electric plane is an added safety measure to help prevent unintended or accidental motor start, correct?

Thank you!
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Last edited by itsme2; Jan 08, 2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:24 PM
Joined Nov 2008
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

As for a momentary switch that latches or cycles through logical values, it won't happen anytime soon. We have a strong directive that a switch must visually indicate it's state very easily. It would be a huge policy change to get away from that.

Andy
Andy,

Just to add my 2cents...

I would much prefer the latch or cycle for my machinery, as I am using the momentary switches to change the channel the stick is controlling.

On the Helis, I am using both as throttle cut triggers... That way when the ohh $&@) moment happens I just press either button, and hopefully(still a noob at controlling something with the ability to get off the ground) land upright after much stick banging. I also have a TC switch to a toggle, which I use for other non-emergency uses. I need to see at a glance that the TC is engaged...

In summary I can see both sides, but the question for Spektrum is:
- is the 10t only for planks and Helis?
The answer should drive a little bit more flexibility for the 10t... I think.

Anyways that's my 2 cents...

Cheers,
AP
powella is offline Find More Posts by powella
Last edited by powella; Jan 08, 2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: TC vs TH...
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:04 PM
Germany, NDS, Uetze
Joined Jan 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

Andy
I meant the second thing you are talking about. Unfortunately this policy keeps a lot of helpful possibilities away from the customer. And you have big display

Frank
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:40 PM
Germany, NDS, Uetze
Joined Jan 2013
18 Posts
I have another question. I would like to use a 2step switch (as 1st switch) and a 3step switch (as 2nd switch) to change my flight modes. So I could switch with the first one between "normal" and "stunt" and with the 2nd one further between the 3 "stunt modes".

But that does not work. I have to use either the 3step switch as the first switch or I have to use two 3step switches.

Is that a bug or a feature in the helicopter programming.

Regards,

Frank
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:08 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,083 Posts
That is the way the flight mode table is arranged. There currently is no support in the menus for changing the table.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:37 PM
Heli addicted.
Joined Jan 2012
232 Posts
Hi, guys i have a problem

I have a dx8 and i like the sticks tight ,so i run down the screws until i have the feel i like,but after 2-3 weeks and 2-3 hours of daily sim practice the sticks' tension is going loose again.Removing the side grips to reach the screws every 2-3 weeks it's not a very pleasant situation.Is there anything i can do for a permanent result,to avoid buying another tx just for sim?
amartolos is offline Find More Posts by amartolos
Last edited by amartolos; Jan 08, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:18 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
That seems to work nicely. I assigned it to the Gear1 switch which I am not otherwise using now, is there anything wrong with doing it this way? Once set to a switch is it a global setting or does each model have to be setup individually?

Just so I'm clear here, using this method on an electric plane is an added safety measure to help prevent unintended or accidental motor start, correct?

Thank you!
Yes.A throttle Hold/Lock. A very good safety practice.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal