SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM
Joined Nov 2013
3 Posts
Very, very interesting. Very wise words. About "less weight = more gliding". There is only one dummy question. What about CG?
For not as wise men. 2200 in nose. As far as can. = You hit the CG when it glides itself. With 1300 it's impossible.
That's all. Wise men will find an answer. Not needed. There is enough about 1300 vs. 2200. "Lightness" vs. "Correct CG position". (black, big full stop.)
Peace, bubblegum, friendship.
jurijsl is offline Find More Posts by jurijsl
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,629 Posts
Weight doesn't affect glide angle. Full size gliders load up with water ballest to get a faster speed at a given glide angle. I like flying with a 2200 for 25 min fpv flights. I wouldn't want shorter flights.
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM
I dont like crashes!
Germany, BY, M
Joined Jul 2013
1,239 Posts
If you want to, go for the 2200. Iam using the 1300 and the stock prop saver which saves some weight at the tail. The 2200 has been moves all to the back, plus a heavier prop adapter and the ESC between the servos. With the 1300 plus the ESC to the front plus the lighter prop saver you will get the COG right behind the wing spar.

With the same plane and a more back COG you will glide slower and stay longer in the air.
With the same plane and a more forward COG you will glide faster. Maybe you will reach a longer range. But time in the air will be shorter.

Same plane with the same COG and lighter will stay longer in the air and reach a longer range then the same plane with the same COG which is heavier.

Making a glider more nose heavy to penetrate the wind better makes sense. Making a glider heavier without changing the COG is only good for more flight time because using a bigger lipo. But with more weight it lowers the gliding ability.

Also with a lighter plane you will catch thermals easier.

As i said above its everybodys own decision and preferences.

I prefer planes generally as light as possible with the right COG.

Btw. as the AXN was my first plane and i have built it related to bruces build videos i enjoyed it so much to scream around with the AXN and a 2200 as far back as possible.

But now i found out that i can go as fast (maybe faster) with the 1300 plus landing and launching is easier.

Also i have no problems with the flight time.

So nothing personal, only sharing my expieriences and preferences.

Enjoy flying! :-)

EDIT: I never heard about an AXN with a 2200 full forward to the nose and hitting a good COG. Or misunderstood i somethig?
SilbernerSurfer is offline Find More Posts by SilbernerSurfer
Last edited by SilbernerSurfer; Yesterday at 04:32 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM
dry your eyes and go fly
United States, CA
Joined Aug 2013
700 Posts
Well said Chris, i love my flight time with the 2200 also.
joe559 is online now Find More Posts by joe559
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM
Crash Expert
United States, MN, Circle Pines
Joined Oct 2012
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilbernerSurfer View Post
EDIT: I never heard about an AXN with a 2200 full forward to the nose and hitting a good COG. Or misunderstood i somethig?
That's where mine is, I've got a larger motor, and moved a servo to the rear when the elevator servo died. Has to be ALL the way up front. And when it was stock, I still had it pretty much all the way forward. No idea why but my COG worked out well there.
Motorbikebruno is offline Find More Posts by Motorbikebruno
Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Feb 2013
1,662 Posts
Here is some in flight video shot with a 808 keychain camera on the nose of my ANX floater jet. Nothing special just some fun flying...

ANX Floater Jet RC Flight (6 min 58 sec)
CG Photo is online now Find More Posts by CG Photo
Old Today, 12:03 AM
dry your eyes and go fly
United States, CA
Joined Aug 2013
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Photo View Post
Here is some in flight video shot with a 808 keychain camera on the nose of my ANX floater jet. Nothing special just some fun flying...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et-o...ature=youtu.be
Nice video Chris
joe559 is online now Find More Posts by joe559
Old Today, 09:09 AM
I dont like crashes!
Germany, BY, M
Joined Jul 2013
1,239 Posts
COG at 56mm slightly nose heavy (No additional lead). 1300mAh 3s lipo. GWS5043. Plush 30amp.
Last edited by SilbernerSurfer; Today at 09:16 AM.
Old Today, 09:34 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilbernerSurfer View Post
COG at 56mm slightly nose heavy (No additional lead). 1300mAh 3s lipo. GWS5043. Plush 30amp.
Depending where you measuring the COG, the standard COG measured from the leading edge is 51.5mm. If you are at 56mm then technically you are tail heavy not nose heavy. Generally the AXN has a fairly large flight envelope when it comes to COG so you might still be ok with what you have.

Nigel.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Today, 10:20 AM
I dont like crashes!
Germany, BY, M
Joined Jul 2013
1,239 Posts
As you can see in the first pic, measured with an HK COG stand from LE 56mm. Nose is a little bit down with this COG. So i called it slightly nose heavy. If you want to level the plane excactly without the nose slightly down you will have 55mm. Hasnt every plane a range of the COG where it works well? Where from did you get the info about this standard COG of 51.5mm? Just for interest, i couldnt find the COG in the manual.

EDIT: Yes it flyes well. Maybe adding 5g to the nose is an option too.

If I find the time I will experiment how far back I can go with the COG. Someone in an earlier post gave me the advice not to go further back than 56mm, if I am remembering right.
Last edited by SilbernerSurfer; Today at 10:45 AM.
Old Today, 10:26 AM
Callsign: Zulu
Somewhere in the skies!
Joined Feb 2011
628 Posts
I always thought CG was at the thingy that holds the carbon rod. Its been a while since I owned these though so I might be mistaken.
Stuka_99 is offline Find More Posts by Stuka_99
Old Today, 10:54 AM
I dont like crashes!
Germany, BY, M
Joined Jul 2013
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka_99 View Post
I always thought CG was at the thingy that holds the carbon rod. Its been a while since I owned these though so I might be mistaken.
Yes the Center of Gravity is pretty much in the range of this foamy "thingy". As i started with the AXN i have always used the carbon rod itself as a good point for the CoG. And it has worked very well. But now i am more in the mood for experimenting! :-D