SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:54 PM
Joined Sep 2008
8 Posts
Discussion
Advice to power my Aquila (brushed motor)

I have an original Airtronics Aquila kit. A friend bought it over 20 years ago (actually I guess it was 30 years), and gave it to me as a gift. I'm experienced with glow powered airplanes (I've and Extra 300 w/1.20 0.S.) but electrifying a plane seems to be a new world of jargon and coniderations.

First, I was thinking of electric power with a brushless motor but the money needed goes way beyond my budget when all the accesories are included. I looked for the brushed motors (Towerhobbies and HobbyLobby) and prices for brushed systems seem to be more affordable. Nevertheless I couldn't find any data on a previous Aquila being powered with a brushed motor.

I already run MotoCalc but data for the recommended gear system (6:1) doesn't make any sense for the Great Planes S-600R. Actually the existing gear box GD-600 has only 2.5:1.0, 3.0:1.0 and 3.8:1.0 ratio combinations available! Some other recommended motor brands just seem to be out of the market or prices are excesive, such as the Graupner Ultra (over $200).

Can somebody help me on this one!? I know a power pod would be easier but I want to keep the clean profile of the plane.

Thanks,

-Mario
mariolopez is offline Find More Posts by mariolopez
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:58 PM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
Shame on you fly it as a glider. Save your money for motor, batteries, charger, props, etc and buy a high start.
Buran is online now Find More Posts by Buran
Last edited by Buran; Sep 29, 2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 09:51 AM
Joined Sep 2008
8 Posts
That's an option to consider too. Nevertheless I want see what it takes to power it first.

Thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 10:37 AM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
If I had only known about this sooner. I threw out several brushed motors not to long ago. I think they still sell them for cars and trucks. I know your trying to save money by useing older stuff. But, no matter which way you go, it's still gonna cost you to get set up in electric flying, assuming that you have nothing to start with. If your a very paitent person, just buy your equipment as you can afford it over time. Sooner or later you'll have it all. Good luck.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2008, 04:54 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
If it helps I scratchbuilt a 3.3m electric soarer a while back and it's powered by a cheap $23 towerpro brushless. Climbs at 45 deg or so, and on cheap batteries too. I doubt you'll get a brushed system for much less.

If you REALLY want to go brushed i have a magnetic mayhem motor with a 3.8:1 planetary box I'm happy to give away.

Nick
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Old Sep 29, 2008, 06:04 PM
Joined Sep 2008
8 Posts
Bob,

Thanks. Well, the problem is just what you mentioned, I have nothing to go electric. I checked the budget required and based on MotoCalc, it would take over $290 (RIMFIRE 35-48-850, Batt. 11.1V - 2100mA, ESC Silver series 45A, LIPO Balancer and charger).

Nick,

Appreciated! Would you share the details of the system you installed? My Aquila is 99" wingspan, 44 oz. max, and wing area 810 sq-in. Maybe my system might be oversized!!
Old Sep 29, 2008, 06:24 PM
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolopez
Bob,

Nick,

Appreciated! Would you share the details of the system you installed? My Aquila is 99" wingspan, 44 oz. max, and wing area 810 sq-in. Maybe my system might be oversized!!
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...5_750kv_/_507W
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...eed_Controller
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...lancer/Charger

All up under a hundred.

I currently use two old 3s1700 packs paralleled, but I'm only pulling 28A from memory, so a 3s2000 20C pack would be fine. Next trials are going to be with 3s and 4s A123. I'm confident 3sA123 will work ok but might be too light.

Search for "spindrift" for the build thread.

Cheers

nick
Old Sep 29, 2008, 11:03 PM
Joined Sep 2008
8 Posts
Great deals! Also, great building thread and finished plane!!!

Thanks Nick!
Old Sep 29, 2008, 11:07 PM
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Thanks mate. Almost finished the next one.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:24 AM
Float like a butterfly...
USA, NJ, Pompton Lakes
Joined Aug 2007
343 Posts
Mario: PLEASE build and enjoy it as a 100% sailplane......... Except for the wing joiner (a little weak) it is a fantastic ship and a joy to fly. I won many contests with mine. Either way, have fun!
dave440c is offline Find More Posts by dave440c
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:46 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,227 Posts
Mario,

I have a brushed motor with gearbox in my Paragon (120 inch span, about 70 ounces glide weight with electric setup). That said, these days you totally should just get some knock off brushless outrunner gear. I bet you could get a $30 outrunner motor, probably run it with a $35 35 amp brushless ESC, a $15 propeller, and then you could scavange those cool A123 cells and probably have the thing in the air for about $100-$125 in motor/esc/battery/prop. Then I think there are $50 decent chargers out there. All in all, I bet you have just $150-$175 into it and that includes the charger you could use on other planes after this one.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Sep 30, 2008, 04:35 PM
Joined Sep 2008
8 Posts
Dave,

I'll do. I've built some planes in the past, a CAP 232 and almost scratch built half ugly after a major crash. I want to have this Aquila ready for my two kids, especially my boy, he is just 20 months old and goes crazy watching airliners videos form youtube and flight350.com

Ryan,

I checked the A123 batteries and they seem to be a very good alternative to LiPo. I have read some info (and seen some videos) and they (LiPo's) seem to require some extra care. Now I have to wonder which way to go.

Guys, thank you all for your advice.

I'll post some advance as it comes.

B.R.

-Mario
Last edited by mariolopez; Sep 30, 2008 at 04:45 PM.