HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: which one is the best for a newbie with limited simulator experience
duet 3 15.79%
champ 12 63.16%
cox sky cruiser 0 0%
hk bix 2 1 5.26%
hk bix 3 3 15.79%
hk sky easy glider 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 04, 2014, 10:30 PM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Oct 2014
24 Posts
Poll
help newbie to choose the first plane

Need an RTF that can fly relatively slow, stable and easy to control.

Need to build some confidence on it.

I have very limited simulator experience so far.

Thanks a lot in advance!
mfanmfan is offline Find More Posts by mfanmfan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2014, 10:33 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,830 Posts
champ.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Oct 05, 2014, 05:57 AM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
402 Posts
The top three choices are (or should be)
1) Champ
2) Champ
3) Champ

Others may want to expand that list... but you get the idea...

It isn't just that it's easy; inexpensive; works well out of the box; nearly indestructible... Have you ever seen any videos of people flying this plane? They've always got some silly grin on their face, because it's just fun. When it' all said and done, that's really the only thing that matters.

Regards

Regards
Joe Perrone is offline Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
Old Oct 05, 2014, 10:25 AM
Joined Sep 2014
379 Posts
I went with Duet, as a matter of fact been flying it all morning. While I love it, I wish I had gone with the champ. I feel for looks not function. The duet took all over 1-2 hours to master, with no real room to grow.

The champ has more true functions then the duet.

I just got my Duet up to about 350 feet for the first time. I finally had the confidence to trust in the equip, and my ability. It was great to get her into a dive and a super tight loop. It felt great to fly my first plane at that height.
Rain1dog is online now Find More Posts by Rain1dog
Last edited by Rain1dog; Oct 05, 2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2014, 04:38 PM
Joined Oct 2014
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perrone View Post
The top three choices are (or should be)
1) Champ
2) Champ
3) Champ

Others may want to expand that list... but you get the idea...

It isn't just that it's easy; inexpensive; works well out of the box; nearly indestructible... Have you ever seen any videos of people flying this plane? They've always got some silly grin on their face, because it's just fun. When it' all said and done, that's really the only thing that matters.

Regards

Regards
got you! thanks! looks like almost everyone suggests champ as a start
Old Oct 05, 2014, 05:32 PM
Joined Sep 2014
379 Posts
Well I pushed my luck... Just lost my Duet to wind... Landed ontop a 70 foot pine tree.
Rain1dog is online now Find More Posts by Rain1dog
Old Oct 05, 2014, 05:56 PM
Joined Nov 2008
491 Posts
RC pilot and pine tree doesn't seem get along too well.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Oct 05, 2014, 06:54 PM
I just want to fly
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
1,232 Posts
Two of the most overlooked “First RC Planes” are the Parkzone Radian and the GWS Slow Stick.
Why is that?
If it’s cost then I can see why the Radian me not be a choice but the Slow Stick can be flying at less than $100.
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Old Oct 05, 2014, 07:29 PM
Joined Oct 2014
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain1dog View Post
Well I pushed my luck... Just lost my Duet to wind... Landed ontop a 70 foot pine tree.
so how big a field is needed? a soccer filed is enough for a champ or duet for a start?
Old Oct 05, 2014, 07:46 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,830 Posts
yeah. a soccer field is big enough. as Edmond noted, be very wary of trees. you may think you're not going to get close to one and then - wham! - plane runs right into it.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Oct 05, 2014, 09:50 PM
Joined Oct 2014
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
yeah. a soccer field is big enough. as Edmond noted, be very wary of trees. you may think you're not going to get close to one and then - wham! - plane runs right into it.
got it.

I am also considering getting a quadcopter, as it seems much easier to control, and if I panic, I can just let go the throttle. While for a plane, it always goes forward, so not sure what to do when I freak out.
Old Oct 05, 2014, 09:56 PM
micro- modding madman
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanmfan View Post
got it.

I am also considering getting a quadcopter, as it seems much easier to control, and if I panic, I can just let go the throttle. While for a plane, it always goes forward, so not sure what to do when I freak out.
You're talking about a totally different beast there. The only thing that planes and heli's have in common is that they fly (Well, most of them).

Whereas planes can glide when they run out of power, helis will slowly descend with no way to really avoid landing on top of something- it's just a slow (Not always) descent downwards.

With a plan you have many more options, and can have more room to maneuver when you run out of throttle time.
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Oct 05, 2014, 10:02 PM
Joined Oct 2014
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julezwatts View Post
You're talking about a totally different beast there. The only thing that planes and heli's have in common is that they fly (Well, most of them).

Whereas planes can glide when they run out of power, helis will slowly descend with no way to really avoid landing on top of something- it's just a slow (Not always) descent downwards.

With a plan you have many more options, and can have more room to maneuver when you run out of throttle time.
I know they are probably totally different, and sorry if it appears I am quite indecisive. still a bit discouraged by the last crash I had a few years ago, which was also the first flight, when I crashed a brand new super cub s.
Old Oct 05, 2014, 10:07 PM
micro- modding madman
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
249 Posts
I don't think the Super Cub S was around a few years ago... You probably got a model with the dreaded ACT.

The technology now, especially with SAFE, makes it MUCH less likely for you to crash- and will make beginner flights much more manageable and enjoyable.
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Oct 05, 2014, 10:16 PM
Joined Oct 2014
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julezwatts View Post
I don't think the Super Cub S was around a few years ago... You probably got a model with the dreaded ACT.

The technology now, especially with SAFE, makes it MUCH less likely for you to crash- and will make beginner flights much more manageable and enjoyable.
it was a super cub, with anti-crash technology, but apparently it did not work well