HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:33 PM
Joined Jun 2002
860 Posts
Discussion
Did summer heat kill my chargers?

Gentlemen ~

I have two FMA chargers; a Cellpro 4S gold, and a Powerlab8 V2.

The chargers have been working just fine. About a month ago, I put the chargers into my van, where they stayed until yesterday. When I took the chargers out of the van to charge some batteries the screens of both chargers remained blank (not even a back light) after power up.

The van was parked outside on my driveway and the temperature here in Phoenix is hot. So, I'm guessing the temperature fried something either software or hardware.

How can I get my chargers fixed? Or are they forever gone.
Ron Pogue is offline Find More Posts by Ron Pogue
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2013, 06:10 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,221 Posts
Interesting. Any guess what kind of temperatures were seen inside the van? I assume that you have let them cool and retried them. Anyway, FMA does repair these units in their Maryland office. The 4s gold might not be worth it, but if the damage is not too severe the Powerlab8 is definitely worth it.

From http://revolectrix.com/support_options.htm

To request support via email:

Email: support@revolectrix.com
or phone: (301) 829-5533
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Jun 17, 2013, 07:31 PM
Joined Jun 2002
860 Posts
The hottest day we had wad 111degrees fahrenheit, so in-van temperature was maybe 20 degrees hotter.

Yes I tried the chargers the next day after they were at room temperature all night. Nothing. Instruments show that the chargers did indeed have the proper voltage to them.

Do you think the problem might be as easy as a heat erased flash memory?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 07:47 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,221 Posts
I did find this http://phoenix.about.com/od/car/a/summercar.htm

Quote:
If you ever park outside during the summer months, your car will heat up quickly. Heat coming in through the windows is absorbed by the interior, and the glass acts as an insulator. The temperature in your car get up to 200 degrees, depending on the temperature outside, the kind of vehicle you have, and how long it has been in the sun.
As for what has failed, I can't say. On the Powerlab you can try to perform a recovery. Connect up the CCS. If the charger is actually live and the display is dead, the CCS will be able to connect to the charger. If the charger is not responding you can trigger a recovery by attempting to install the firmware. It may take a little while for the CCS to find the charger. If this works the firmware upgrade will start after a several minutes. If it doesn't start, then it's going to need to be serviced.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:00 AM
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Aug 2002
339 Posts
Put a thermometer in your van, it got WAY HOTTER THAT 20 MORE DEGREES!
JIM CALDWELLA is offline Find More Posts by JIM CALDWELLA
Old Jun 21, 2013, 01:01 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM CALDWELLA View Post
Put a thermometer in your van, it got
That would be a good test. Years ago I had a thermometer in my car that was parked outside in the sun all day. I'm in Seattle so its nothing like Az. Ambient temps were around 80f. When I got back to the car, the thermometer had peaked at the top of its measurement range which was 130f. So the temps were above 130f, not sure by how much. You may need a oven thermometer in your test
Old Jun 26, 2013, 06:45 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM CALDWELLA View Post
Put a thermometer in your van, it got WAY HOTTER THAT 20 MORE DEGREES!
For sure.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:11 AM
Joined Jun 2002
860 Posts
OK, you guys are guessing it got way hotter than I guessed. All well and good. You may well be right.

Fact is that none of us laymen know.

Very few know the temperature at which the firmware (or whatever you wish to call it) starts to go away.

Somebody researched that information and put their findings on a data sheet somewhere. I don't have it, but I would like to know what that temperature is.

Perhaps the moderators could talk to their company EEE or technician and find out?