HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined May 2004
556 Posts
Discussion
BEC overload

I have an X55 pro ESC. I'm using it on a plane with 5 Hitec 5245MG digital servos. No problems just sport flying, but if I 3D the plane and use the servos heavily, occasionally the ESC will go into LVC low power mode. If I quit yanking on the sticks (who, me?) the ESC recovers and I can fly normally again for several minutes without problem. Charging indicates that I haven't excessively drained the battery. Does the BEC cause the ESC to go to low power mode if it experiences an overload situation? Thanks for any replies.
Sit-N-Fly is offline Find More Posts by Sit-N-Fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:34 AM
Average Joe 2 Semi-Pro n Back!
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Feb 2004
1,147 Posts
Sit N Fly - Yes, the ESC will go into protection if the BEC is overloaded. 5 Digital servos are definitely capable of overloading a 5 amp BEC - especially if the linkages are setup for "3D Throws" and do not have any mechanical advantage (Is your servo horn longer than the control surface horn?)
FL62 is online now Find More Posts by FL62
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:19 AM
Joined May 2004
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL62 View Post
Sit N Fly - Yes, the ESC will go into protection if the BEC is overloaded. 5 Digital servos are definitely capable of overloading a 5 amp BEC - especially if the linkages are setup for "3D Throws" and do not have any mechanical advantage (Is your servo horn longer than the control surface horn?)
I do have the linkages setup for 3D throws but have tried to maintain as much mechanical advantage as possible. I only run into problems when I transition from an elevator into a harrier. I have the ailerons reflexed slightly while I'm doing this to reduce wing rock. So, I've got four digital servos working fairly hard for awhile. I figured it was my bad for abusing the BEC. I'm assuming I should install a separate BEC if I plan on keeping this up? Lift the power pin from the receiver lead and I'm good to go? Thanks much for the reply, by the way.
Sit-N-Fly is offline Find More Posts by Sit-N-Fly
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:26 PM
Average Joe 2 Semi-Pro n Back!
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Feb 2004
1,147 Posts
I would go with something like a Castle BEC Pro or similar, and as you mentioned, remove the red wire from the ESC's servo lead.
FL62 is online now Find More Posts by FL62